usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

purist is still worth it to drop by tho

not necessarily "tech" but you should hit up Maas & Stacks too.

I hit up Spices szechuan trenz a couple weeks ago, just cuz of

, and i've been going there almost every week since.

I seriously dont know wtf i've been doing with my life before trying DAT PORK SHOULDER and cumin lamb. x______x

Edited by halomunkey

Purist and Darkside are both added to the list! I'll also stop in to the MOMA if I can persuade the less enthusiastic museum goers to make a quick stop.

on second thought, id suggest just the moma and yerba buena. theyre right next to each other and pretty central to all the shopping you want to do. no sense in dragging ass all over town especially since the de young is at the opposite end from where youll be wanting to spend most your time.

The MoMA gives student discounts so bring ID's along!

Always appreciated. I love art institutions that choose to encourage people to be interested in the arts by offering discounts like that.

• 1 month later...

Going to San Fransisco for the first time in a couple of weeks for a work trip.  I'm staying in Mill Valley though and probably won't have a car, how big of a pain is it to get to the city from there?  My time is going to be pretty booked up during the days but hoping to find half a day or so to spend in the city for some shopping mostly...

Has anyone stayed at the Mayflower Hotel? It has great reviews on Yelp and I'm pretty stoked about the nightly rate and FREE parking garage, in a decent location. 

My other "cheap" alternative was Mystic Hotel in Union Square, about $340 for two nights after fees PLUS $30 per day parking.

Has anyone stayed at the Mayflower Hotel? It has great reviews on Yelp and I'm pretty stoked about the nightly rate and FREE parking garage, in a decent location. 

My other "cheap" alternative was Mystic Hotel in Union Square, about $340 for two nights after fees PLUS $30 per day parking.

Just looked up the Mayflower, at that rate i thought i was going to be a complete dump but it actually looks fine.  I would do it, not to mention the free parking alone with worth a minimum of $35 a night in that area of the city.

Ah, if the Patron Saint of Self Edge gives his blessing then it should be okay. My only real concern was that the missus may think it's a dump...but she always insists that she doesn't give two shits about lodging since the point of traveling is, well, traveling.

The Good Hotel in SoMa was also something I was looking at. We're driving up in a hybrid and they offer free parking if you have a hybrid, but the reviews are worse than the ones for Mayflower.

Ah, if the Patron Saint of Self Edge gives his blessing then it should be okay. My only real concern was that the missus may think it's a dump...but she always insists that she doesn't give two shits about lodging since the point of traveling is, well, traveling.

The Good Hotel in SoMa was also something I was looking at. We're driving up in a hybrid and they offer free parking if you have a hybrid, but the reviews are worse than the ones for Mayflower.

Well, she may still think the Mayflower is a dump because its not exactly a "nice" hotel.  

Good Hotel is one step above a hip European hostel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a dress-up dinner joint in the city? My girl brought two nice dresses so I don't want those to go to waste. I'd prefer something that isn't too American with steak offerings and such...I guess something unique to SF.

All I really had on my radar coming here was PPQ, and I don't think we should be well-dressed for there.

Also, any nightlife recommendations? Ideally 80's or 90's jamz...we missed 80's night at Cat Club last night.

Get dressed up and go to Spruce, amazing food and setting and its very San Francisco.  Show up early to your reservation and have a drink at the bar, their bar program is one of the best in the Bay Area.

So - the wife and I are moving to San Francisco. Need to have a place to live August 1st. I've visted and I like the Mission, and nearby Mission Delores park. Based on some reading and my our interests, it seems like perhaps other neighborhoods that would be cool to live in are:

The Mission
NOPA
Lower Haight
Hayes Valley

Inner Richmond?

We have a cat, and a dog, about 70lbs, but well behaved. How fucked are we?

Also - how do people find places to live in SF when they don't live there?

Jake, great to hear you're moving to SF.

I'm sure you've read that SF is the most difficult (and expensive) place to move to in America right now.  You can't be that picky about where you live unless you're looking to spend quite a bit.  Will you have a car?
If not, i would stick with living in these hoods:
Mission

Castro

Bernal Heights

Potrero Hill

SOMA

Hayes Valley

Thanks Kiya, I'm looking forward to making myself a nuisance! So you are the fourth person who has recommended Hayes Valley - it's the neighborhood most recommended by all so far. Other were NOPA, Inner Sunset, Alamo Square - but as Hayes is the most consistently recommended, that's where I am leaning. Although Potrero Hill sounded interesting to me as well.

We will have a car, and we won't be totally destitute; I have a good tech (yawn, I know) job lined up, and my wife just about does as well. I'm surprised to see SOMA on the list - Kiya, could you say why? And why Hayes Valley, for that matter?

I mean, I'm just a beer snobby denimhead who likes tattoos, whiskey rock and roll, metal, garage and soul. That could describes 30% of the population for all I know.

Yup, you just described practically everybody in SF.  SOMA is good because its central, its not anywhere near the middle of the city but its very close to a lot of things such as BART, freeways, the Mission, Downtown, and there are a lot of great bars and restaurants (and City Beer).

Hayes Valley is definitely near tops of our list at this point, and Noe Valley is getting lots of recommendations.

i wouldnt recommend potrero hill or bernal heights without a car. unless you live at the very bottom of the hill. even with a car its dicey, especially if youre not used to it.

Jake has a car.  Not sure what you mean by "dicey", you mean you find it difficult to drive on hills?

Edited by kiya

Will you have a car?

If not, i would stick with living in these hoods:

Mission

Castro

Bernal Heights

Potrero Hill

SOMA

Hayes Valley

i think folks that arent used to driving, and more importantly parking, in sf should really take that into consideration when living on a hill. cuz chances are youll have your ride parked at home most the time and be dragging ass up and down a hill with groceries and what nots to and from home. and depending on high up on the hill you live, potrero is unrelenting. of course, the view of downtown easily makes up for it, for what thats worth.

noe valley is like a yuppie black hole. ive had friends move there from other parts of sf never to be seen or heard from again. just rumored sightings in prius's and shit. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Fishermans wharf is insanely crowded... but the fireworks show is the best ive ever been to... seeing them low over the bay and right next to the bridge is a beautiful thing

but ive only spent 4th of july once in SF in the 3 years ive lived here... im sure the locals are tired of it

the fireworks show is cool if you like watching the fog light up in different colors. ive never been on a clear night but you might have luck this year. id ditch the car and the wharf and hoof it up to coit tower or thereabouts. its a much better view, like almost eye level with the explosions.