tea anyone?

mizanation

so I'm currently brewing genmaicha over ice and the result is quite good. You just put the tea directly on the ice and let that shit melt. Takes a long time but by the time the ice gets melting, the taste is pretty much spot on.

must try this.

you got me hooked on to blueberry muffins ever since i made that cupcake remark.

also still trying to hunt down a nice clear glass tea pot.. i'm seeing a lot of metal around where i live so i suppose i'll have to break down and order one.

must try this.

you got me hooked on to blueberry muffins ever since i made that cupcake remark.

also still trying to hunt down a nice clear glass tea pot.. i'm seeing a lot of metal around where i live so i suppose i'll have to break down and order one.

Brewing it on ice is very, very slow but it's quite enjoyable.

Find glass tea pots is pretty easy usually. They're usually relatively cheap too and I'm sure you can find them in SF.

What do you guys use as sweeteners? I generally keep my shit plain but if you want a little sweetness what do you add? I feel like honey and sugar change the flavor and are kind of cloying, but ive had good experiences with agave nectar.

good quality tea doesnt require sweetner

It's largely a matter of taste. I'll take a little milk and sugar with the usual English breakfast teas, blends of Keemuns and Assams, or even with higher quality Darjeeling black teas.

But never any condiments with oolong or green tea.

Genmaicha is one my favorites as well as some various black teas. I'll have to try brewing genmaicha over ice. If you go in Lupicia they have some tasty Ramune tea.

Condiments with tea? Blasphemy.

Matter on taste I guess.

I've recentley been converted from a hardcore coffee drinker back to teas black and green right now i'm rocking Yunnan broken pekoe and sencha green

enjoying a cup of yerba mate for the first time right now and I'm pleasantly surprised really nice honey flavour to it

In my searches for some today most people told me they thought it was disgusting

anyone else uses a Yixing clay teapot?

Yeah dude!

One is a fish with a turtle on its back. I use it for my Earl Grey. I forget the symbolism.

The other looks just like a generic round tea kettle. It's for a cranberry flavored black tea I've been drinking.

anyone else uses a Yixing clay teapot?

I have several Yixing clay tea pots, each one used specifically for a specific tea type: black, oolong or green. Not too much of a white tea drinker.

As the story goes, continual use of a Yixing clay pot gradually improves the tea drinking experience, as the pot becomes infused with the flavor and essence of the chosen tea. Upon examination, the inside of the pot is left unglazed, which enables the clay to absorb the tea's aroma over multiple infusions. Supposedly, Yixing pots that have been "aged" over many years or decades or centuries (use of these pots date back to the 10th century and before, I believe) can be used to brew tea, without the use of any tea leaves, using only the "aged" clay for steeping.

While purists will sometimes dedicate a specific Yixing pot for a specific tea type, I've been told that it's probably ok to just keep individual pots for the major tea types. The only problem is one of volume. Most Yixing pots hold up to only 100ml of water.

So these days, I used mainly a Japanese "Tetsubin" cast iron pot for my tea or just continually added hot water to a Chinese "Gaiwan" cup. Perfect for multiple steepings of Jasmine Pearl tea in the morning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yixing_clay_teapot

bi luo chan. long jing (dragon well) pre-ming - my summer time faves you drink it from glass gaiwan

been drinking oolong, puehr from yixing zisha for over 6 years

www.teahub.com is best place imo to get best quality tea if of course you don't live or travel to china

us sites teaspring has good quality long jing. that's about it.

pots:

http://www.acornplanet.com/yixing_teapots.shtml

For the UK Tea connoisseur I found this place Jing Tea which looks pretty classy and has good information about what your buying ordered myself some organic Dragon Well and 10 year old Puerh my most anticipated purchase in a while

Eager to try some of the Big Red Robe that whizkit mentioned too need to step up my tea etiquette I think as this stuff deserves it

bi luo chan. long jing (dragon well) pre-ming - my summer time faves you drink it from glass gaiwan

been drinking oolong, puehr from yixing zisha for over 6 years

www.teahub.com is best place imo to get best quality tea if of course you don't live or travel to china

us sites teaspring has good quality long jing. that's about it.

pots:

http://www.acornplanet.com/yixing_teapots.shtml

yes bi luo chun is my favorite as well

with long jing and tie guan yin not far behind

but personally i cant stand pu er

to get real good chinese green tea, i dont think theres any alternative other than to get it direct from china, where they sit you down and you go through teas one by one. if youre not ableto go to china, then find a friend who travels to china

tea i make for my dad:

put water on stove, high heat

when its almost about to boil add dry sage or fresh mint (whichever you prefer)

add tea (either a small spoon loose tea you buy in middle eastern store or lipton yellow label loose/bag)

add sweetener accordingly

dad is a diabetic so everyone adds their own.

this is typically the tea you will get in a middle eastern restaurant/home. its really good and i havent really had it any other way.

Where are you from Julz?

My father is persian although he's a milk & 2 sugars kinda guy when we had company we always had darjeeling style tea in glasses with crystallized sugar you keep in your mouth while you drink

damn, I want some now

does anyone have experience with tea eggs? i was given one by a friend and i used it and it sucked. i really like my adagio inginuitea but it can be a PITA to get all the leaves out, so i'm looking for an alternative...

Tea Egg ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_egg

Pretty sure they are commonly referred to as tea balls / infusers.

I use them; work fine. I also like to use filters if I'm not making a whole pot:

TeaFilters.jpg

No clean-up and they are easier to use for bringing loose-leaf tea to work, etc.