tea anyone?

mizanation

DUDE... sorry for replying late but "The flavor of Pu-erh has been described as muddy, earthy, and tannic, with strong overtones of the barnyard"... now someone mixed that with strawbery??? I think you and the shop got a badly made batch or forgery of tea... or it just isn't your flavor (I admit, I still need to try this tea myself and am nervous about it's flavor).

Anything that's famous and expensive yet in high demand in china will surely also have many accompanying forgeries. It's a hard tea to produce well... so I maybe you got some really nasty poo-erh. At least I hope it was cheap. Best way to determine this is if you watch the leaves in the tea-brick/cake unfurl as it is steeped... it shouldnt crumble. (I read this from the wiki)

i have never heard of strawberry pu-erh tea in my life. sounds foul. you guys really need to try regular pu-erh though - i'm sure you can find wrapped pieces of it in chinatown for relatively cheap just to get an idea of what it tastes like. my mom loves the taste but doesn't like to drink it because the tea is really dark and muddy looking.

• 3 months later...

Lately, I've been going to the Middle Eastern quarter in Bangkok, between Soi 3 and Soi 7 around the Nana area. The tiny side streets are filled with tons of shisha bars, egyptian and lebanese restaurants, shwarma stands, etc.

The upstairs of Nasir around Soi 3 has excellent Moroccan Mint tea, which is hot green tea infused with mint and sugar and served in tall, thin tea glasses.

The best part is that this place is open until 4am!

i have never heard of strawberry pu-erh tea in my life. sounds foul. you guys really need to try regular pu-erh though - i'm sure you can find wrapped pieces of it in chinatown for relatively cheap just to get an idea of what it tastes like. my mom loves the taste but doesn't like to drink it because the tea is really dark and muddy looking.

I read in the "body and soul" section of the guardian recently that pu-erh tea can help with weight loss if drank 3 times a day for a month or so..... I suppose this is kinda Sufu relevant but is there any truth in this? Does it change anything about your metabolism or is any weight loss just an effect gained through swapping a 3xdaily full fat latte drink for tea?? Ive yet to try any, but have recently enjoyed Mu-tea, next time I go to whittards I may get some Pu-erh tea though....

to quote Mr C. Bale "you can allways be thinner."

• 2 months later...

wow, i really didn't see this thread for a long time.

Does anyone drink yerba mate?

i got a little hooked while i was in argentina. i bought myself a mate cup, straw and leaves. strong stuff. it's cool that the more you age the cup, the better it becomes. i don't even mind the weaker stuff in tea bags.

Has anyone ever tried this place before?

http://www.hibiki-an.com

Interestingly they have their own farm in Kyoto, free international shipping on any order $35+

I'm thinking of placing an order of hoji cha

man, sounds good. let us know how they are. sort of a side-note, but i've read before that a really good way to drink hoji-cha is to put some tea leaves on a flat sheet of rice paper, and put the whole thing over a flame so as to "roast" the leaves a bit again. iirc "hojiru" means to "roast" and the best way to drink a hoji-cha is to drink with the leaves freshly roasted.

wow, i really didn't see this thread for a long time.

Does anyone drink yerba mate?

i got a little hooked while i was in argentina. i bought myself a mate cup, straw and leaves. strong stuff. it's cool that the more you age the cup, the better it becomes. i don't even mind the weaker stuff in tea bags.

Has anyone ever tried this place before?

http://www.hibiki-an.com

Interestingly they have their own farm in Kyoto, free international shipping on any order $35+

I'm thinking of placing an order of hoji cha

man, sounds good. let us know how they are. sort of a side-note, but i've read before that a really good way to drink hoji-cha is to put some tea leaves on a flat sheet of rice paper, and put the whole thing over a flame so as to "roast" the leaves a bit again. iirc "hojiru" means to "roast" and the best way to drink a hoji-cha is to drink with the leaves freshly roasted.

I just placed an order of hojicha karigane

You think heating it up in a wok would work as well? When I was in Kyoto, they roasted the hojicha in a huge pan basically.

just started a tea habit every morning [now that i've actually been waking up early enough to call it the "morning" ;)], and i've been very taken by the japanese o-cha and genmai-cha. i'm not sure what sort of pot i've to brew it with, though, since i've been using teabags instead of leaves and rice grains. any help?

I recently bought a Teavana Perfect Tea maker.It is really nice and easy to use and clean.You just fill it with your loose tea then steep.Once its done you just set it on a cup and the tea comes right out the bottom.Fairly cheap as well.

http://www.teavana.com/Teavana+Perfect+Tea+Maker+16+oz/cid=56/page_no=1/edp_no=3970/shop.axd/ProductDetails

Click on the picture for detailed instructions.

Chicken,

Those are nice, and I've considered getting a ceramic one, but alas I need something dog proof as my dog is always jumping on the coffee table.

Look into a cast iron pot then. I've dropped my cast iron teapot from a sizable height onto my tile kitchen floor, and thankfully, neither the floor nor the pot were harmed at all.

not only is a cast iron one a good idea in terms of durability, but it also retains heat for a long time. but i definitely recommend getting some sort of a mat to place under the pot, since it really gets hot and you could damage your surfaces.

but i generally prefer ceramic type stuff for the ease of use.