Unknown Japanese Brands

ktouran6923

Dania are the jeans that guy in that insane indigo dying thread was wearing...

yup

Cotton, thank you for linking to that thread. I had not seen it before and the pictures are amazing.

For anyone interested in Dania I would like to supply an old blog post I did on them.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Blue: Where Did All the Denim Go?

I can't think of a better way to kick off the new year than to see what new indigo dyed cotton goods are coming our way. Unfortunately at this year's Blue, the NYC buy/sell show that revolves around premium denim, there wasn't a whole lot of denim to get my heart racing. Those who exhibited at Blue last year but were MIA this time include Iron Army, Blue Star, Denim Design Lab, and Sling & Stones. Reasons for the no-show include budget-VS-orders, politics, or not making the cut for this year's show.

Apparently Blue, which may have started out focusing on denim, has had to add to its product mix to appeal to the denim buyer who may also be shopping for rock and roll inspired accessories. This is a reflection of designer jeans sales leveling off. Retailers didn't seem as eager to pick up several new lines right off the bat just for denim.

So now that Blue is being positioned as a sportswear marketplace what does that mean for upcoming shows? This question grows important as Blue plans to enter the international arena by penetrating cities like Tokyo. Mike Sampson, who runs the Blue show for ENK, says we can expect product categories like eyewear, jewelry, and small leather goods in the future.

But make no mistake about this; denim lifestyle is still at the core of the show.

Most notable at this recent show include a Japanese denim company called Dania Japan & Co. Using piece goods woven and dyed in the famous Okayama city Dania offers raw and washed jeans and jackets inspired by vintage Levi's in various cuts for men and women. My favorite pair from their line is unfortunately a jean I can never wear out (though I'd gladly sleep in it). It measures 66" in length and is said to fit a 74" waist. The novelty item is available for $1850 raw or $2200+ vintage washed. Please examine exhibit A for time-stamped evidence.

big+dania+jeans.JPG

It's selvedge too.

big+selvage.JPG

But for those of us who don't happen to be giant lumberjacks I recommend a straight fit non-washed selvage denim that was yarn dyed by hand (wholesale $305; double for retail).

djp190005.JPG

Surprisingly the washed/destructed model is the same price but that's so early 00's (WHAT you haven't gotten into raw selvedge denim yet??).

If you don't care for the hand-dyed treatment but still want some amazing 14 oz. denim their regular "slub yarn" line wholesales for $105 raw to $190 washed. As the name indicates you get a garment that looks quite flat when raw but fades to reveal some gorgeous slubby vertical lines.

djp048.JPG

djp048+hidden+rivets.JPG

djp048+ss.JPG

djp048+selvage+coin.JPG

(sorry to disappoint but none of above pictured hands are mine)

Fits include straight, bootcut, and tight straight. For your softer side washed left-hand twill jeans are also offered for a bit more. Here's some official denim pr0n.

Vintage-inspired "Slub Yarn Denim Half Coat"

slubyarnhalfcoat.JPG

Vintage-truckers-inspired "Slub Yarn Left-hand Twill Selvage Denim Jacket"

slubyarnlht.JPG

Aforementioned selvage denim yarn-dyed by hand

djp190005+official.JPG

"Slub Yarn Selvage"

>>> IMAGE POST LIMITATION. Guess you have to visit my blog now.

The Dania group notes that their stateside debut has been met with warm reception and I wish them much success. The products they offer speak volumes about Japanese denim quality and I hope that message doesn't get lost in the sea of designer blue jeans all around. Although Japanese brands in the US currently cater to a very niche market Blue needs to be applauded for warmly inviting Dania into our marketplace (exhibitors screening is quite vigorous). This is an important first step towards improving consumer expectations of quality and design integrity in the US.

Blue ran from January 21-23, concurrently with The Collective show in New York City.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know, grotesque in theory, and I'm almost positive they've been discussed on sufu before, so I didn't want to create a new thread. At the outset, they sounded like egregious PRPS rip-offs, perhaps not coincidentally, as David Beckham has famously patronized PRPS for years. From DVB... "They are made from Japanese denim and design features range from the 'aged-leather' waistband logo to the purple pocket lining."

However, I came across a few pictures of Beckham sporting them (fyi - the release date has been pushed back from 8/08 to early '09 due to unpopular response to the women's line) and I really truly regret to say... they don't look absolutley, utterly horrid (especially the worn model), although photos only augment the impression that they blatantly knock-off PRPS:

BeckhamJeans2.jpg

BeckhamJeans.jpg

I don't know if these have been mentioned before but I stumbled across 'free rage' last night on Bears website. I have no idea what the jeans are like, don't particularly like the look of the stitching but the patch is fucking genius!

you havent seen this?

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=781933&postcount=2

• 3 weeks later...
Chikiriya jeans? Discovered on Aikidou.com. I don't hate the rabbit stitching... in fact I very un-sufu'ingly kind of like it... especially as it's just on the one side. More importantly, the fit looks dope + the denim looks good with nice cross-hatching (maybe slubby?). Anyone know anything?

Picture1-1.png

Link is here: http://www.aikidou.com/SHOP/MM600.html

I'm sold. I want.

• 1 month later...

was bored as hell so i took some pics of little known brand in modern cuts from my collection cheers

feel free to ask me q's

yen natural indigo

45 rpm sorahiko

dope and drakkar

omnigod

eightG

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189-1.jpg

IMG_0190-1.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

i spy some omnigods too! man i love that brand, and i really don't see why sufu doesn't give more love to that brand. to me it has a PBJ-ish vibe, and while that brand get loads of attention, omnigod doens't :/ i think i might even like omnigod more... damnit i should've kopped some goods while being at their kyoto store :(

• 2 weeks later...
I can't read Japanese, so I don't know anything about these, but they're kinda neat.

IMGP2912.jpg

No inseam.

From the amazing boot blog at http://hukurokuju.com/blog/

That's random cause when Takeshi visited us at Self Edge a month ago for the Patina project he was wearing these jeans... i asked him about them and he said his friend owns the company and they don't produce many pairs..

That's random cause when Takeshi visited us at Self Edge a month ago for the Patina project he was wearing these jeans... i asked him about them and he said his friend owns the company and they don't produce many pairs..

Cool. Hey Kiya, is the no-inseam thing a throwback to horse-riding or something? That's the only thing that I could think of.