Best value in a solid polo?

rainmaker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh topic-starter is in Canada soo unless he is willing to go to the states a good selection of RL polos will be hard. Can try Holts or the Bay downtown Toronto. Of course theres lacoste and burberry slim-fit, although normal Lacoste doesn't fit me well.. and don't think you can get retro-fit around here. Someone feel free to prove me wrong. Can pick up burberry at Holts although slightly overpriced (Paid ~$125 I believe)

H+M had polos last summer for like 12 bucks. the epitome of plain polos, no extraneous details, appliques, anything. the drawback, of course, was that they shrunk like crazy, to the point where i can't even wear them at all anymore. i hope they carry them again this year, ill be sure to buy a full size up. they were perfect.

i'm also suggesting marc jacobs stink rat polos. they are perhaps the best fitting polos for dirt cheap prices. they are almost a bargain at its retail price

oh yeah, true. really great, but the sleeves on mine almost seem to taper in at the hem, sort of weird, gives a puffy look...

polo ralph lauren?

nothing shouts "im a preppie!" more

fred perry is good, black with gold is a classic and there is an ongoing collaboration with comme des garcons, for those with money to burn

Well, if RL shouts "I'm a preppie," then Fred Perry definitely shouts "I'm a knacker/pikey!"..........all depends what country/city you wear the stuff in.

How do Fred Perry polos fit? There are slim fit and regular fit ones? I wear a M in Custom Fit RL.

depends on which ones. i find that the ones made in singapore or portugaul run alittle big to size. the made in england ones seem slimmer. the cdg junya double names are probably sized 1/2 to 1 whole size down. i have been hearing that the paul weller fred perry is pretty snug (and is supposed to be the shit), but he's always been a skinny guy though.

for sizing i really love the pellat-finet polo. the price obviously does not justify the piece and i am not a big fan of his though.

the cdg play series are priced pretty resonable, and are great until you wash them. they shrink so fucking much.

• 1 month later...

If I wear a large in a Trovata polo, would I also be a large in an RL Custom Fit? Trying to decide between a medium and a large. My size varies between medium and large (typically large) for Original Penguin, so I'm thinking large in RL Custom.

They're not super expensive if you get those polos at a burberry outlet. I've seen some on sale back in the winter at the outlet malls.

If I wear a large in a Trovata polo, would I also be a large in an RL Custom Fit? Trying to decide between a medium and a large. My size varies between medium and large (typically large) for Original Penguin, so I'm thinking large in RL Custom.

RL customs are relatively slim fit. Definitely a difference between those and classic fit. I'm not sure about trovata polos, but if you're typically a large in "designer" brand stuff but a medium in mall brands like gap and br, i'd stick with your normal size(large) in custom fit RL polos. Like you, i'm a true medium, but with some brands that run big (like mall brands) i wear a small. I'm gonna get a custom fit polo in medium sometime in the next week or so whenever i hit up the RL outlet.

H+M had polos last summer for like 12 bucks. the epitome of plain polos, no extraneous details, appliques, anything. the drawback, of course, was that they shrunk like crazy, to the point where i can't even wear them at all anymore. i hope they carry them again this year, ill be sure to buy a full size up. they were perfect.

I picked one up last week, plain white. They seem to be a lot bigger than they were last year, maybe they took shrinkage into account?

• 4 weeks later...
Uniqlo polos are $19.50 now. I dont know if they are the dri-fit ones from before though.

Still the dry-fit ones. I was looking at their washed polos and everything is great about them, but I couldn't get over the damn script on the buttons. Some dumb shit about water and waves which kept me from buying them.

The first H&M in my city (maybe Western Canada) opened up here the other day, and I would say the 12 bucks less 5 dollars promo made them pretty good value. And no logoing at all which is always nice for me.

The quality is ... probably enough to make you want to spend more on another polo. They tend to loose shape pretty quick, and after a few washes they just end up looking like a Bestbuy uniform. I guess if you're more built and not so concerned about slim fitting then they're great.

uniqlo washed polos look too a&f/ruehl for me but the dri-fits are pretty nice. they seem perenially on sale as well.

aa polos are ok but don't like the long placket - matter of taste i suppose and additionally depends on your feelings about non-pique polo fabric

the cdg x fred perry polos were everywhere in nyc during the last sale season for pretty cheap. they had some long sleeve ones in nice simple colorways, well worth the $50 or less that they were going for.

i am bummed that i missed the boat on the green paul weller polo, if anyone has a line on one let me know!

Haha this thread started to go from "affordable, quality polos' to another "what brand polo do you rock?" thread...

I would say obviously RL...outlet or catch 'em on sale. Or wait till one of your loved ones hits you with a gift certificate to Bloomies or Macy's on your b-day.

Uniqlo is definitely a great, cheaper, alternative. I've had nothing but good experience with their fits and quality...not to mention selection of colors.

Brooks Bros. slim fit is great and affordable...AND they are outlet-friendly as well.

I have to see the Marc Stinky Rat polos...heard nothing but great stuff about 'em. Surprisingly affordable from what I can say.

AA...eh...I'd say stay away from them...they'll probably tear at the sleeve or the buttons will fall off. I've had the opposite experience with AA as I have had with Uniqlo (cept for fit). Go in there to talk to funky girls...and fantasize about the slore'ish girls in the print ads.

AA?

I donno aa is pretty much all I wear on top anymore- tee shirt wize. I've never had a problem with the durability of their stuff. Never.

Although I got one of those terry polos in the mail today and god that thing is awful, I feel like I am wearing a beach towel or something. Definitely don't buy those.

serve.asp?media=9412_PaleYellow.jpg