football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Just wondering if there are any Swedes who contribute to this thread. If there are can anyone explain how Isaksson can't get into Man City's team? Isn't this guy like a better than half decent goalkeeper? Hart and Schmeichel are hardly what you'd expect from Premiership-quality keepers ... especially from a team so far up the league yet Isaksson can only get on for league cup games.

I know he was out injured for a long long time but I am confused ... just like when big Sam stuck with Steve Harper at Newcastle after Shay Given had come back.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this recently and I think this is a good time to post it. From Brian Reade

"If England do fail to pack their bags for Austria next year will it really signal the end of the world or the start of a beautiful summer?

Think about it. No Beckingham Palace party or 100th cap for Golden Balls timed to coincide with the Vienna leg of the Spice Girls Reunion tour.

No hordes of shirtless young men on tables outside bars yelling the following history lesson at passing Austrians: "If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts. (Burp)" No metatarsal scares, World Cup single or talk of a Golden Generation about to deliver. No Rio Ferdinand You've Been Merked show or demands for a Baby Bentley each if they win.

No post-tournament books with a foreword by Joey Barton: "We got beat in the quarter - finals. I played sh*t. Here's my book."

No Wills and Harry getting tickets with their chums for the "footer." No vile celebrities leaping on the passing bandwagon.

No feeling like an unpatriotic leper for refusing to fly a Dixon's flag out of all four car windows. No WAGs' circus.

None of those excruciating TV adverts where players get paid fortunes to hold a drink/soap powder before a camera and wear an expression that says they've just filled their undies with doo-doo.

No cowardly refusal by the BBC panel to criticise Ian Wright's son.

No penalty shoot-out agony. No bad taste in the mouth when it's all over.

Just an opportunity to stand in a pub free of loud, tanked-up lightweights screaming "CAM ON..." at the telly, and enjoy some decent football."

Oh my. Didnt watch the match because it was too early in the morning but oh my.

What did McClaren do wrong? Carson and SWP as starters were in the beginning good decisions because Beckham played badly in the Austrian game and Robinson blundered in training. Maybe he should have picked David James. But picking big names over form is a criticism Sven always faced.

Bridge was picked because Ashley wasnt 100% fit.

Lampard and Gerrard were bad choices because they never worked well together. Other than that, Rooney and Owen and Terry were injured and Rio suspended.

I thought England would crash out due to Russia's efforts in Israel but it turned out they crashed out due to their own inability to get a result. And it was only a draw at home needed against a team that already qualified and a group that was less than fearsome.

10000% spot on

But im English...so I'm still gutted about it

The postmoterm will start.

Mclaren will get sacked and FA will never get another stop-gap manager. If they do, he wont last more than 3 months before they get an able replacement.

Carson will never get an England recall until he reaches 30.

Beckham will get his 150th cap in the years to come..

Lampard and Gerrard will never play together in England again.

Outclassed players like Barry, SWP and Bridge will never get another England recall unless the first team dies in a plane crash.

I love it that England didn't make it. Just love it.

Even though I prefer the EPL over the other L's.

I think it's a big slap in the ass to England. That talent doesn't equal success. Kinda like Team USA's recent 'uccess in the Olympics with Team Le Bronze.

Hopefully it'll mean for a more serious look at teamplay and well REAL football play...

I love it that England didn't make it. Just love it.

Even though I prefer the EPL over the other L's.

I think it's a big slap in the ass to England. That talent doesn't equal success. Kinda like Team USA's recent 'uccess in the Olympics with Team Le Bronze.

Hopefully it'll mean for a more serious look at teamplay and well REAL football play...

At least we wont get another repeat of England getting booted out by Portugal or Germany via penalties or the odd disputed goal and the repeating whingeing and wondering when England will lift the next trophy since 1966.

Carson will never get an England recall until he reaches 30.

not true

Lampard and Gerrard will never play together in England again.

not true either but i sure hope you're right.

i think gerrard was the only player with some will to win in the first half, i didn't even hear lampard's name during that time. england has enough talent, they just can't pick shit manager. carson is a much better keeper than robinson but you have to be an idiot to give him a debut in the most important game of the season. also if crouch would play in earlier games england would never be in this situation. mclaren is an idiot and i hope he coaches in championship where he belongs.

I read this recently and I think this is a good time to post it. From Brian Reade

"If England do fail to pack their bags for Austria next year will it really signal the end of the world or the start of a beautiful summer?

Think about it. No Beckingham Palace party or 100th cap for Golden Balls timed to coincide with the Vienna leg of the Spice Girls Reunion tour.

No hordes of shirtless young men on tables outside bars yelling the following history lesson at passing Austrians: "If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts. (Burp)" No metatarsal scares, World Cup single or talk of a Golden Generation about to deliver. No Rio Ferdinand You've Been Merked show or demands for a Baby Bentley each if they win.

No post-tournament books with a foreword by Joey Barton: "We got beat in the quarter - finals. I played sh*t. Here's my book."

No Wills and Harry getting tickets with their chums for the "footer." No vile celebrities leaping on the passing bandwagon.

No feeling like an unpatriotic leper for refusing to fly a Dixon's flag out of all four car windows. No WAGs' circus.

None of those excruciating TV adverts where players get paid fortunes to hold a drink/soap powder before a camera and wear an expression that says they've just filled their undies with doo-doo.

No cowardly refusal by the BBC panel to criticise Ian Wright's son.

No penalty shoot-out agony. No bad taste in the mouth when it's all over.

Just an opportunity to stand in a pub free of loud, tanked-up lightweights screaming "CAM ON..." at the telly, and enjoy some decent football."

No Ian Wright!

No Garth Crooks!

Surely John Motson will now be put out to pasture.

Anglo-phobe joy was riff in the pub last night. I am afraid I took much pleasure in it; quite sad really. Really did not see that happening, even at 2-0 after X minutes saw a comeback and even a win ... Croatia ain't that good; then again neither are Slovakia or Wales or Cyrus ...

What was interesting was the contribution in that match by certain players ... players who are not first choice at Portsmouth, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, and Liverpool respectively went on to influence the match and ultimately shut the door on England ... poor show.

Capello's interested now; that'd be interesting.

Anglo-phobe joy was riff in the pub last night. I am afraid I took much pleasure in it; quite sad really. Really did not see that happening, even at 2-0 after X minutes saw a comeback and even a win ... Croatia ain't that good; then again neither are Slovakia or Wales or Cyrus ...

What was interesting was the contribution in that match by certain players ... players who are not first choice at Portsmouth, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, and Liverpool respectively went on to influence the match and ultimately shut the door on England ... poor show.

Capello's interested now; that'd be interesting.

Yup Capello will be interesting. The play would be boring but England could get somewhere.

not true

not true either but i sure hope you're right.

i think gerrard was the only player with some will to win in the first half, i didn't even hear lampard's name during that time. england has enough talent, they just can't pick shit manager. carson is a much better keeper than robinson but you have to be an idiot to give him a debut in the most important game of the season. also if crouch would play in earlier games england would never be in this situation. mclaren is an idiot and i hope he coaches in championship where he belongs.

I thought Lampard was announced at the end of the match, the Man of the Match?

Carson was blooded in the Austria match though friendly, he did well.

In this match, England just needed a draw so no harm putting Carson in. They should have put Calamity James in instead.

But the first goal was blamed on Carson. The second on Lescott and SWP. The third I think on Lescott or Campbell or Bridge who did not shut the Croat down.

You cant blame Crouch. He did well given the style he plays. He is not a speedy striker like Torres. Given he was crowded out most of the time, what can he do? It is not a situation that he lacks match fitness.

Lescott, Bridge were bad. The whole England team played like millionaires afraid to get injured by slipping on the grass while the Croats were running their hearts out. In the first half, many English players were strolling. When Beckham was in, you can see their urgency.

McClaren should manage some BPL club like Birmingham for their great escape.

That's true,he was indeed, it was an amazing penalty. :rolleyes:

You got that 100% spot on.

Lampard glared at the Croat goalkeeper and the Croat glared back. Lamps then stepped up with his body positioned to hit the ball at the top right corner of the goal. The Croat dived right. But in the split nanosecond, Lamps maneouvred his body and fired the goal left clamly and without an ounce of fear. His movement was not unlike Ronaldinho's swivel of his hips and firing the goal passed Carvalho and Cech after misleading them at Stamford Bridge 3 seasons ago but Lamps was 10 times faster.

His goal was pivotal as it lifted the spirits of all 10 men on the team and the 80,000 Wembley strong. A lesser man like Beckham will fluff the shot under the immense and intense pressure and lead England to a 3-0 trashing by Croatia.

Carson was blooded in the Austria match though friendly, he did well.

In this match, England just needed a draw so no harm putting Carson in. They should have put Calamity James in instead.

doesn't matter that carson played in the austrian friendly. most vital game of the entire qualifiers, and you give it to a keeper who hasn't played in any of the other qualifying games, with the pressure of the keeping the whole nation satisfied by trying to make sure no balls go by him in the RAIN. I had my money that carson was gonna drop something, I wasn't surprised at all.