football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

that is if wenger manages to hold on to his players...

IMO the only one truly at risk is Fabregas. If he's so keen to go warm the barca bench, I'm sure wenger will get a full price for him and hopefully find a better replacement. I've never been that impressed with him so it wouldn't be the end of the world to lose him. A goalkeeper and better defenders are sorely needed though

honestly I don't think we need a new keeper.Szczesny is good and is going to be world class. I remember seeing his highlight reel from when he was on loan last season and thought that he should've been in goal since then. He's confident and a bit crazy. Just what we need. No Almunia or Fabianski pussy bullshit.

what a weird game. i don't think the match should have gone into the 102nd minute for christ's sake, but both penalties were reasonable. i'm just glad to see lfc continuing to fight. next year is gonna be huge as long as we get a couple creative/speedy midfielders/wingers. oh yeah and as much as i love the gunners, is anyone really that surprised that they're about to walk away without silverware?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To be honest it's a very english concept, the manager. Continental sides generally split responsibilities between a coach and a director of football, the DoF taking responsibility in the market and the coach taking responsibility for getting the best out of what he's given. Villas-Boas, the man who looks likely to be his manager should he cross London, is a perfect exemplar of this in his present role at Porto. Also Chelsea as a side, partly due to player power, partly due to having a european-style autocrat in the director's box, sometimes play very poorly under great managers (late era Jose, Scolari, much of Carlo's second season) and well under poor ones (Avram?). Not to mention the fact that players often have a preference for a particular managerial style, and the reason Modric is flirting with Chelsea rather than United may well be that the creative freedom offered by a manager like Redknapp seems more likely at Chelsea, regardless of who ends up coach, than United, where a much more authoritarian manager shows no signs of retiring gracefully. Modric has served Tottenham well, he arrived from Zagreb with a lot of other european clubs linked to him, slogged through a miserable spell under Ramos, and through tireless application became the creative centre of a reinvigorated Tottenham side. If he wants european football, he's earned it. Moving across London won't endear him to anyone, but it hardly makes him Ashley Cole.

To be honest it's a very english concept, the manager.

And the reason the premiership is the best league in the world ;)

Having a manager who doesn't get to select his own players is a silly system, it can work great, but so often the DoF and coach fall out/disagree/don't work together closely enough.