football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

It was a silly move to dump Carlo... I thought the end of the season showing was great and showed growth... plus he wasn't afraid to give the young ones a run something we'll need to do more n' more of in the very near future. Luiz was probably the best immediate impact signing in the EPL.

Sucks that Roman sticks his fingers in it so much... ugh... Torres is a bust...

To be honest it's a very english concept, the manager. Continental sides generally split responsibilities between a coach and a director of football, the DoF taking responsibility in the market and the coach taking responsibility for getting the best out of what he's given. [...] Modric has served Tottenham well, he arrived from Zagreb with a lot of other european clubs linked to him, slogged through a miserable spell under Ramos, and through tireless application became the creative centre of a reinvigorated Tottenham side. If he wants european football, he's earned it. Moving across London won't endear him to anyone, but it hardly makes him Ashley Cole.

1. thanks for the lesson in what a DoF is, especially handy since my club is one of the higher profile ones to have ditched the setup. the point still stands, different managers favor different players - end of.

2. ah, modric has served spurs well but not vice versa. is suppose you could say the same about fabregas, he's put in his shift and now it's time to move on to a club of consequence - a club with ambitions, no?

• 2 weeks later...

w o w

+

i love the new french shirts, one of the very few you can wear under normal circumstances and not look stupid.

Actually, England and France, that's all I can think of.

++

When people usually complained about today's football as being all corporate and artificial, I used to just put it down to another example of a generational gap. You know, thing always evolve and change, this is how it is.

Perhaps it's the same thing then, when I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the game. Is it changing so quickly that kids that loved it a decade ago are becoming jaded?

It feels like lately there hasn't been a single aspect I haven't been upset with. The game's run by crooks, yet no one actively does anyhing decisive. Players haven't been loyal for a long while, but player retention rates are a fucking joke now. Unless you have one of the world's richest people at the helm, you can consider your best players gone before long. Then you have the clubs with the richest people from the next tier, who can't quite compete with the others and so are left to wrestle with the other underlings for any scraps left behind.

Just struggling to give a shit really. Knowing your national team will never win anything again for a very long time also hurts btw.

putting it over the bar is some shit you see in high school soccer, not a world cup final ha ha either way japan earned it after those comebacks, kind of lame to see the us give up that equalizer in extra time when they only needed to play keepaway

rt4cVqpFR6g

translation via reddit:

"First of all, thanks to everyone here, for comming to this very important event in my life, thanks to the governor, thank you for this award. it´s moments like these that i´m grateful to god for being able to play soccer instead of giving talks, i´m very nervous, excited.

I have many things that i´d like to say, most of them gratitude words. I´d like to tell to everyone here present that you´re my family, and i´d like to apologize for no being 100% here as a son, or as a brother, or as a nephew, or as a grandson, as a partner or as a godson. For being a little selfish looking for my dream, fighting for my dream. But i hope i can pay you with everything i´ve accomplished, because, i wouldn´t be where i am today if it wasn´t for you."

:(

good guy