the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

No idea if this has been asked, but I've generally noticed all my asian friends (all friends except like 2) don't like cheesecake. The fuck is wrong with you?

Not in direct response to this question, but I think I've heard or something that it's not very becoming for Asian men to be into sweets? Particularly Korean and Japanese men...

Was there ever a native filipino?

I'm not even sure.. When I asked my parents, their answer was completely different from history books. I've heard many different explanations and I'm not entirely sure which to believe. I'll try asking my grandma.

I thought native Filipinos were Filipino mestizo? Which are Taiwanese aborigines that went to the Phillipines thousands of years ago and then when the Spanish came, they fucked all the girls and made Filipinos.. Thats why if you guys ever get a chance to go to Taiwan, and go to the native mountain areas, everybody looks Filipino and supposedly there language is very similar -- which is also the basis of all polynesian languages..

Guest jmatsu
Trad chinese foods for New Year are Steamboat, Yu Sheng, Longevity Noodles, Rice Dumplings.

There is a bunch more I can't remember, and I have not celebrated the festival in 3+ years.

IMO, chinese new year is more fun than the japanese new year. You cannot beat hongbao, and you keep getting them as long as you aren't married.

jap new year sucks. for real. we don't get no red envelopes with money, i dislike the food, and on new year's day there is almost nothing to do...

:confused::confused::confused:

i didn't know that... is that why we have normal Pocky and Men's Pocky?

in nihon sweets are feminine thing

mens do not usually consume sweet

that is why there has to be pocky and mens pockey

also make notice that pocky can have a dangerous addicitive effect

it does not help that they are in a package like cigarette

jap new year sucks. for real. we don't get no red envelopes with money, i dislike the food, and on new year's day there is almost nothing to do...

maybe it's a regional thing, I've received multi colored envelopes similar to Chinese red envelopes on Japanese new years, not as many as chinese new years though. I actually like ozouni, soba, and osechi. And dont forget the fun of fighting hordes of housewives during mystery bag week.

I think most people just say "Oh theres no difference between Chinese and Taiwanese, there the same; they both come from the same ancestry." Which in essence, is true. But if you asked a 6th generation Irish from America, "What Nationality are you?" He would say American. And it mostly depends on what kind of Taiwanese people you ask too. If you asked the 1949 "Wai Sen Ren" who retreated from China to Taiwan, they would say Chinese, perhaps. But if you asked my Dad, whos ancestry has been in Taiwan since 1600s, he would definetly consider himself Taiwanese and then he would further call people from China "Dirty Communists". And if you ask native Taiwanese people who live in the mountains because the KMT government pushed the people there and then mocked them and called them "Mountain People", they would consider themselves Taiwanese also. (These Mountain People are actually very close ties to filipinos, went there once and filipino galore)

So in conclusion, your professor is ignorant.

so true...haha i am from Taiwan...

so those ppl who live in the mountain are basically the "REAL" taiwanese i guess...

and now most of the Taiwanese are from China, when KMT brought them in...

and oh ya..alot of ppl ask is Taiwanese language and Chinese Language same?

i am sure they are different...

actually Taiwanese is a different dialect of mandarin same thing applies to people in China who speak Cantonese. There is also Haka (sp?) which is used mainly by the people who first moved from China to Taiwan. Most countries near China or surrounding it speak mandarin or at least a little bit. It's kind of like english of the western world.

I'm not sure if this has been asked but Do the Taiwanese people consider themselves chinese? Personally as a Taiwanese person I have a disliking of chinese people. Although my professor tells me that even though I am from Taiwan I am also chinese.. he's a white dude who loves east asian mythology so i don't know how much credit i can give him...

Unless you desend from Taiwanese Aborigines... You're Chinese...

No idea if this has been asked, but I've generally noticed all my asian friends (all friends except like 2) don't like cheesecake. The fuck is wrong with you?

wtf? all my friends LOVE Cheesecake... my parents as well... but my dad cant eat it though...hes Diabetic... which sucks for him, and good for ME!

in NYC... i think Eileen's is the best... i dont like Junior's texture...

puleaseeeee, Muay Thai just looks cool on screen, in actuality muay thai gets fuckin clobbered by karate and taekwondo.

Wow just wow. please tell me you are being sarcastic because on the street, a Muay Thai guy will kill ANY TKD faggot

wtf? all my friends LOVE Cheesecake... my parents as well... but my dad cant eat it though...hes Diabetic... which sucks for him, and good for ME!

in NYC... i think Eileen's is the best... i dont like Junior's texture...

Best Alternative type of cheesecake in San Francisco is Zanze's on Ocean. Unbelievably light and fluffy.

I think the whole Taiwanese thing is pretty retarded; I just say both. I mean you can say you are Taiwanese but that's just like saying you are Shanghinese or Cantonese. I doubt a canto guy would straight up deny that he is Chinese but say that he's Cantonese instead.