Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

Lately, I've been listening mostly to DJ Mehdi, Digitalism, Surkin, Yuksek, and some Felix da Housecat.

edit:

i went to that justice show at hiro ballroom, and the presets or whatever fucking suck. justice, on the other hand, seemed like they had actually been to a dance party. the presets were like, shitty disco played on the wrong speed setting on the turntable with a drumset for looks. the best part of their set was the drummer's planet earth tee shirt, and that shit was average too.

i was at that show. i missed most of the presets because i was busy alternating between the girl's and boy's bathroom stalls railing lines. justice/seb/mehdi/busy p were great though.

I like the occasional electro, and a few rare indie remixes are dope, but on the whole Nu Rave makes me want to eat my own ears.

Or more accurately eyes, with the number of skinny twunts you see in London wearing nothing but neon with impeccably awful hair. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmatsu
By the way Loveless (the japanese avant-garde store) has an interesting mix by Bang Gang.

it wasn't really that stellar. i don't even think it sold well, because everyone knew that it could be downloaded for free.

it wasn't really that stellar. i don't even think it sold well, because everyone knew that it could be downloaded for free.

I don't think of it as stellar either but it's a well-mixed, good introduction to the genre; you get to hear a lot of the important tracks, it's indicative of the typical genre hopping and they pass quickly as most songs are sampled for less than 2 mins.

I'm suprised it was even up for sale. New bang gang mixes are available for dl almost monthly.

PS getting tickets to see the Klaxons later this year.

if theyre as good as they were in brooklyn a few weeks ago, you're

in for a crazy show.

aggreed that its a pretty good mix... their latest podcast buttfuck disco pt 9 is good... one of the best out of the buttfuck collection.

Bang Gang are finally having a club night in Sydney again but it's going to be in the gayest club this side of the Harbour Bridge.... humph.

in for a crazy show.

Awesome... looking forward to it.

in for a crazy show.

i dont know man...i saw them in LA and it was boring as hell. the show was your standard walk up to the mic, play through songs without moving, then leave as quickly as possible. this was also in front of the dim mak dudes who are putting out their singles (so i figured more enthusiasm would've been warranted)......plus its LA....

plus its LA? LA is a horrible hell hole of a place that should never be graced with musical performances of any kind that dont involve shitty hair metal cover bands.

saying "plus its LA" is like saying "but of course whatever i was just talking about fucking sucked, it is from/happened in/is somehow related to Los Angeles"

anyway, the klaxons at studio b were phenomenal. i haven't been to a show that great in a while, and i'm a music junkie who's seen a ton of bands. further than that, it was the first time i saw full-on moshing and crowdsurfing outside of a hardcore or metal show, and the fact that it was to the klaxons was hilariously satisfying. the band was really on, really friendly, screwed around with some arrangements, and overall put on a good performance, plus the crowd was super receptive... there was definitely some good energy making shit go right. hope it works out that way in Aus. too!

i didn't mean to come across quite so serious, i meant it more as a typical east coast vs. west coast sort of jibe that has little to do with reality. i should start using the patented Sarcasm-o-meter...

EDIT: plus, i'll need a born and bred angeleno to show me what's really up whenever i'm around, and wash the mtv stardust out of my eyes.

you guys ever heard of daft punk?

Daft what??? Already have my ticket to see them. Where you trying to imply a lot of this "electro" (nth incarnation of the word electro) music owe a lot to Daft Punk and other french house acts? I totally agree + the filliation is as much musicial as personal (Busy P, owner of Ed Banger label is Daft Punk's manager).