Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

why did i think asuzano was in like, australia?

uffie is hilariously lame as a performer, but she's a sweet girl otherwise. kind of weird actually. like your dopey little sister. i'd totally tap it twice, though.

anybody in NYC hear about the Peace of Pizza party this saturday?

google it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest StuckOnStupid

also i dont like that whole "indie dance" whatever scene, baltimore booty whateverthefuck,

look asshole, you did not invent bad rapping, 808's, loud colors, bamboo earrings, smoking dust or doing coke. give that shit back to 1988 or i will strangle you with that ironic-ass fuckin dookie rope.

i went to that justice show at hiro ballroom, and the presets or whatever fucking suck. justice, on the other hand, seemed like they had actually been to a dance party. the presets were like, shitty disco played on the wrong speed setting on the turntable with a drumset for looks. the best part of their set was the drummer's planet earth tee shirt, and that shit was average too.

I just saw these two spanish girls perfom some elektro stuff. The music by itself was already pretty good, what made it better was that in the background they had visuals of both of them getting dressed up as nuns and riot cops etc and be half naked at the same time.

What made it even better was, that during their performance one of them stripped down to nothing, just being naked and singing/screaming into the microphone!

Oh, how I miss living in Berlin!

Seriously though, why whould I make something like this up?

but it isn't meant to be ironic, for the most part. it is all the fucking jaded post-hipster jerkoffs outside of the scene that view it as ironic, and thus, totally miss the point.

That's because we were there the first time around, although I must say I'm not hating at all; I think it's charming and neu rave/whatever people are really into it during shows, which is great.

ED Banger record party was great btw!!! They played until 3:00AM and the crowd went wild.

but it isn't meant to be ironic, for the most part. it is all the fucking jaded post-hipster jerkoffs outside of the scene that view it as ironic, and thus, totally miss the point.

fuck nu-rave (fashion) all the same--it's was curious for a hot minute, but got old fast for me.

what is the point--nostalgia? -- because the full get-up looks awful.

see, i really wouldn't care much but the neon or metallic b.s. from head-to-toe assaults my eyes.

yeah, it can get taken way too far by overeager fashion victims with poor taste, but personally, i enjoy a liberal dose of color being injected back into fashion, even with

the risk of it being taken overboard.

the point isn't nostalgia, either- as fuuma mentioned, most of the people into it now weren't even around for rave's heyday. if they were, they only got to appreciate it from afar, because they were far too young.

my take on it is that its mirroring the past- similar political climates, similar global issues and pressures. people want to look towards the future, in a way, and also want to do it in a way that allows them to transcend the everyday things that depress them.

partying for the sake of the party, not to be seen or to be heard or to become known, etc. that's refreshing to me here in NYC, where there are people who honestly think that if their picture doesnt end up on a website the next morning then the party wasn't worth their time.

also, i fucking love color.

i went to that justice show at hiro ballroom, and the presets or whatever fucking suck. justice, on the other hand, seemed like they had actually been to a dance party. the presets were like, shitty disco played on the wrong speed setting on the turntable with a drumset for looks. the best part of their set was the drummer's planet earth tee shirt, and that shit was average too.

i heard the house DJ was the best performance of the night

anyone go to the SKILLS ETD POP! (popsicle 10) in SF?? shit was gonzo ass crazy. top 3 massive of all time for me. christopher lawrence killed it. benny banassi was ok. although he played his shit right. infected mushroom was the shit. they played live for 2 hours and rocked it. its been the first massive for me in maybe 5 years. but it was well worth it..

also anyone going to the tiesto concert in SF??

dancing is such SERIOUS BUSINESS. now if only the 32-year-old-vice-magazine-industry people would go home, because they are rude as shit and don't dance except jokingly with their three-person cliques.

Also I hear all of this stuff is being called "blog house" now? What the hell?

unfortunately....

Blog House is a genre of electronic dance music that emerged after (or just before) Justice's Waters of Nazareth EP in 2006, which provided the genre its distinctive sound. Utilizing non traditional house drum beats, heavy electronic synth bass lines and incredibly dirty and distorted samples, "Blog House" is almost a complete opposite of the typical and stylistically clean French filter disco house that made Paris famous in 1996. This new sound culminating out of Europe has bubbled out of the underground with the help of predominant taste maker mp3 blogs, including Fluokids, Palms Out Sounds, Discobelle, Big Stereo, and Headphone Sex who compete with each other to post exclusive tracks and remixes. Although Blog House does get released on traditional 12" vinyl singles, the genre's popularity is driven by exclusive taste maker DJ/producer reedits and exclusive remixes that are leaked for promotional use. Many see this as a problem in the blogosphere since blogs sometimes rush to post songs, repost exclusive songs from other blogs without permission or recognition, and also sometimes leak songs that are unfinished or of lower sound quality. This is usually done with little regard to what the actual artist or label thinks.

The term emerged in early 2007 when bloggers and message board members used it to critique the type of music on dance music blogs and to highlight a lack of appreciation for other types of house music or more traditional classic tracks. It has been concluded, although not implied in the definition of blog house, that there is a negative connotation surrounding the usage of the word stemming from the fact that the music is sometimes over hyped on blogs and the people listening to it are scene hoppers. For some, hearing a DJ play blog house signifies that they know very little about the actual history of house music and are just playing, listening and talking about these particular songs since they have gotten hyped from certain taste maker blogs.

diluted ass wikipedia entry...

the whole idea of creating a genre called "blog house" ... :confused: