Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

it's just blah blah blah about the history of post punk really? want a book on the history of nite life? check out the last party/turn the beat around-the secret history of disco/ and love saves the day the history of dance music culture 1970-1979. there really are more as well as good records and places to check out the lists are endless. But can anyone claim to be an expert? Fuck Casiotone that shit sucks.

it's just blah blah blah about the history of post punk really? want a book on the history of nite life? check out the last party/turn the beat around-the secret history of disco/ and love saves the day the history of dance music culture 1970-1979. there really are more as well as good records and places to check out the lists are endless. But can anyone claim to be an expert? Fuck Casiotone that shit sucks.

Welcome to the thread, guy. (10, by the way) Yeah, it's tough with these blog-indie-electro-house remixes to get really jazzed when I already have every song. I hadn't actually listened to most of them, to be honest, but still. I don't feel like I've really experienced anything new.

isn't it more important for the music, whatever the classification, blog-techno, electro-blog, blogatone; whatever it may be, shouldn't it be live? thats what makes electronic music the most exciting as it is, in or out of clubs/venues. thats why i feel the justice album is so underwhelming, and remix's are just the same. shouldn't there be a lot more edge of improvisation and free form interpretation to the remix's and different cuts that are all released?

if someone did live stuff and recorded it, yes i would be much more inclined to experience something much more real and new, but everything seems to be thought out before hand. and yes, i understand that because its electronic music, theres a whole thought process that needs to take place before hand, but wouldn't it be wholly much more refreshing to hear someone doing live takes that have the chance of something going wrong or something accidentally happening that makes it much more interesting, to make it that much more exciting?

i don't know a whole lot about electronic music, but i feel a lot of artists in the genre would benefit from changing it up. maybe i dunno what im talking about, but whatever. something to mull over.

it depends on where you are looking. I have to go drink some pink champange on the porch check out those books there is also a good sylvester one as well the BAY-it is interesting to see his/her make up references, the bay had some gangster girls in the 50-60's? They listened to motown and crossdressed talk about interesting maybe that is it there really is not that much soul searching-looking for the references when this music is being made and most of it is looked upon as throw away music....

word. what about my mixing needs work?

Again, I don't really know the tracks so consider that. But it sounds like sometimes you aren't counting your bars- you're probably just going with what "sounds right". And on top of that you aren't riding with the mix for very long so your mixout is kind of erupt.

Also I can tell you're mixing a lot of different bit rates or shotty mp3's. You gotta learn to ride the gain to compensate or do as I, and buy/play wavs.

And while none of this would bother anyone if you where playing out, on a promo it kinda looks bad.

Do you play out?

isn't it more important for the music, whatever the classification, blog-techno, electro-blog, blogatone; whatever it may be, shouldn't it be live? thats what makes electronic music the most exciting as it is, in or out of clubs/venues. thats why i feel the justice album is so underwhelming, and remix's are just the same. shouldn't there be a lot more edge of improvisation and free form interpretation to the remix's and different cuts that are all released?

if someone did live stuff and recorded it, yes i would be much more inclined to experience something much more real and new, but everything seems to be thought out before hand. and yes, i understand that because its electronic music, theres a whole thought process that needs to take place before hand, but wouldn't it be wholly much more refreshing to hear someone doing live takes that have the chance of something going wrong or something accidentally happening that makes it much more interesting, to make it that much more exciting?

i don't know a whole lot about electronic music, but i feel a lot of artists in the genre would benefit from changing it up. maybe i dunno what im talking about, but whatever. something to mull over.

have you ever heard a new order concert? the million mistakes and forgotten lyrics and notes do not at all contribute to the live experience. Hearing Blue Monday on a club sound system will make you realize why they were/are so popular. You have to take yourself out of the rock mindset. Going with your old loveless avatar, as much as I want to say I wanted to be there, have you ever talked to anyone who went to those shows? I've talked to a handful of people who went to loveless era shows and say it was one of the most annoying shows they've ever attended.

I've been to a few live shows and some pull it off and some don't. There is a huge-ass chance though that for the most part I won't be having a good time due to polyrocked examples above as well as electronic/drum-machine/synth mishaps. Which is why I don't follow alot of electro/synth artist's live concerts as feverishly as I would more traditionally skilled (old-school playing drums, naked voice and acoustic instrument) artists.

Now when I first read jeepster's post, I was like polyrock... "WTF? You wanna enjoy electronica like a frickin freeform jazz band experience?"

But then I look back at those (very few) happy accidents at some anticon show where the programmed drum/sample machine got kicked out and the DJ had to play the music and beat on an acoustic guitar and did it well. I know I know, they're a hip hop group, but you know whaddaymean. And a warm place in my heart goes to those times I've attended a ladytron concert where one of the girls shyly comes out from her synth station and dances for the one song where she contributes more vocals than their main singer. Making piercing eye contact with the entire audience, and suddenly we all feel teleported to her world. There are also some great live sets from drum and bass artists out there.

So I guess in a way polyrock's crappy experiences just helps me mull over what jeepster was saying even more. On one hand, live electronica isn't new and has probably been done really badly... but (maybe??) only because electronica/dance music has been historically aimed towards clubs, with the creative process being (maybe) less spontaneous. But then again you can say this about alot of mainstream pop produced music.

As far as good stage preformances go: Rock has it's improv solo and "let's just jam" guitar/drum virtuoso moments, Hip Hop has it's Freestyle/Scratching/beatbox, and lets not get started on Jazz. I think Jeepster's brought up a great thought here in that his tastes are searching for electro/neuwave/dance artists that also have the skills to be melodically improvisational, fluid and spontaneous during their live shows. There is a place and audience for this, it is a valid thought about live shows and electronica.

Let's help him (and others) out instead of discouraging him with moot examples of how some shows suck.

Anyways... cam accross this gem which the likes of jmat, omc, west and keagz might already have....

Here is the tracklist:

01. Fasten Seat Belt

02. Ballad For Space Lovers

03. Tango In Space

04. Flying Nightmare

05. Magic Fly

06. Velvet Rape

07. Carry On Turn Me On

08. Carry On Turn Me On (Single Version)*

09. Tango In Space (Single Version)*

*Bonus Trackzzzzzzz.

Enjoy

Anyone see Justice perform on Jimmy Kimmel last night...? They had all star impersonators in a band perform D.A.N.C.E. Michael Jackson was the lead singer, Stevie Wonder was on drums, I think Rick James was on bass, and some other stars... Everyone in the crowd looked extremely confused...

Has anyone brought up the new Chromatics that they self-released? I've been playing the Kate Bush cover on my radio show a lot.

i didn't know that chromatics had a "new" and "self-released" offering.

is it just a home diy record that i don't know about? did they for some reason leave italians do it better? they've been off tmu for a while...

what do you mean? the album with the kate bush cover was not self-released, if that is the particular one you're referring too.

Anyways... cam accross this gem which the likes of jmat, omc, west and keagz might already have....

Space - Magic Fly (1977)

B00004URWV.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.zshare.net/download/33088429a7b57c/

Here is the tracklist:

01. Fasten Seat Belt

02. Ballad For Space Lovers

03. Tango In Space

04. Flying Nightmare

05. Magic Fly

06. Velvet Rape

07. Carry On Turn Me On

08. Carry On Turn Me On (Single Version)*

09. Tango In Space (Single Version)*

*Bonus Trackzzzzzzz.

Enjoy

thanks you!!! i like you.

i didn't know that chromatics had a "new" and "self-released" offering.

is it just a home diy record that i don't know about? did they for some reason leave italians do it better? they've been off tmu for a while...

what do you mean? the album with the kate bush cover was not self-released, if that is the particular one you're referring too.

I'm talking about Night Drive -- some people tagged it as IV. I just glanced over that it was self-released on #IT. Apparently they sold copies directly weeks before Italians Do It Better, so that's why I thought it self-released.

From their myspace:

HEY EVERYONE,

OUR NEWEST CD "NIGHT DRIVE" IS OUT NOW.

10 SONGS.

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 58:06

1. THE TELEPHONE CALL

2. NIGHT DRIVE

3. I WANT YOUR LOVE

4. RUNNING UP THAT HILL

5. THE KILLING SPREE

6. HEALER

7. MASK

8. TOMORROW IS SO FAR AWAY

9. LET'S MAKE THIS A MOMENT TO REMEMBER

10. TICK OF THE CLOCK

THE "NIGHT DRIVE" CD IS AVAILABLE FOR MAILORDER DIRECTLY FROM THE GROUP.

ITALIANS DO IT BETTER WILL HAVE THEIR COPIES IN A FEW WEEKS.

"NIGHT DRIVE" IS $9 PPD IN THE STATES, $12 PPD THE REST OF THE WORLD.

^is that album killer? what do the chromatics sound like? aren't they a punk band? is this record better then that rats one? is their singer a chinese lady like on the cover of their tmu ep?? what is chromatics? what is myspace?

slaying them, one icy synth wave at a time. the matsumator strikes again.

didn't you need me to buy and send some snacks to the u.k. for silverlink or something? i can't remember...

can someone get this for me?

baldelli_cosmic.jpg

thanks.

didn't you need me to buy and send some snacks to the u.k. for silverlink or something? i can't remember...

can someone get this for me?

baldelli_cosmic.jpg

thanks.

silverlink never got back to me with his address. i dont care if youre touring, if want fucking crab flavoured crackers, you write back to your fucking hookups!