Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

this sounds like a band i did a split release with on deathbomb arc records when i was like 16. but i lyke. i should post the noise music albums i did when i was young.

hahahha i feel u. yea mayne post up

casiotone for blah blah are so fucking good, anything that only involves a keyboard and a funny sounding nerdy white guy is good with me... atom and his packages cover of mind playing tricks on me in particular

and omc... that placebo/dan dexter thing is the funniest thing ive heard all day. placebo are such a random band im actually not surprised at something so ridiculous

omc put up yr noise shit. noise rules.

echo and the bunnymen are a post punk band. this genre is kind of a catch all, because it describes most accurately a point in time rather than pinning down a particular sound, although it is definitely easy to tell what qualifies as post punk and what doesnt. they featured mostly live drums, although that was augmented by a drum machine, and their synth work was usually second to the interplay between the guitars and ian mculloch's voice.

new order started off playing post punk that was extremely similar to their joy division sound. but then gillian came aboard, and they introduced an electronic dance influence that came primarily from house music and early techno. it is hard to talk about new order and other bands like them because theyre singularly responsible for creating their sound. we're talking a lot about bands that broke the mold and played with boundaries, so defining them is difficult. to me, new order really shone and really should be recognized for popularizing electronic dance music to rock crowds; what's going to top Blue Monday? who really likes Movement more than Power, Corruption, and Lies?

all of the genres we're touching on are some of my favorite, so apologies if i sound like a zealot.

as far as a good primer on all this, it is pretty difficult to find a place that will educate you about all of these different strands efficiently.

the way i see things evolve is you have the post punk movement in england during the early 80s, and you have basically the aftermath of punk rock-- people who were just over the nihilism and the lack of musicianship that was inherent in early british punk rock. in germany you have krautrock and neue deutsche welle movements experimenting with new tools, synthesizers, and cobbling together the sounds that would eventually trickle out into the world and influence many post punk bands to shift into what became known officially as new wave. [for instance, modern english used to be a post punk band. after hearing a lot of german new wave groups, they went on to release songs like their hit single 'melt with you']

you still have post punk, you have this new development of british new wave, and you have bands straddling the fence. around this time [1983-onwards] you also get the rise of british goth music, which at this point was still closely hewn to post punk and didnt yet feature a lot of synthesizer, which would go on to be a heavy influence in 2nd wave [late 80s and onwards] goth music.

new wave, by the way, originally referred to punk bands that shifted their sound from being less noisy and abrasive to more poppy and softer edged. post punk, at least in the 80s, referred more to the darker, more 'gothy' bands of the time, such as bauhaus and the chameleons, or even the sound or the psychadelic furs.

thanks omc, i'd rep if i could, this helps explain a lot. so saying that the post-punk and new wave both embraced the electronic influence, would that include bands such as Squeeze or PiL? obviously their guitar based bands, but they embraced a definitive electronic sound in a lot of their material. PiL even manipulated the guitars to such an extent that they could've been electronics.

anyways, what im wondering is, what exemplifies the best of electronic music from the 80's on. obviously there are the greats like afrika bambatta, or grandmaster flash, but thats all pre-rap r&b and hip-hop introducing the concept of sampling, scratching, djing as a musical form, and recorded rapping. what i want really are just songs i should download (names too) that would help me better understand. so if someone could list some for me, that would be sweet. and ill give you rape.

Guest jmatsu

i don't know hybrid.

i had the one with dj hell on beggars banquet, but i heard that erol and optimo's old remixes finally mad it to compilation format with a bunch of other artists.

thanks.

Guest jmatsu

i don't know hybrid.

i had the one with dj hell on beggars banquet, but i heard that erol and optimo's old remixes finally mad it to compilation format with a bunch of other artists.

thanks.

echo and the bunnymen are a post punk band. this genre is kind of a catch all, because it describes most accurately a point in time rather than pinning down a particular sound, although it is definitely easy to tell what qualifies as post punk and what doesnt. they featured mostly live drums, although that was augmented by a drum machine, and their synth work was usually second to the interplay between the guitars and ian mculloch's voice.

new order started off playing post punk that was extremely similar to their joy division sound. but then gillian came aboard, and they introduced an electronic dance influence that came primarily from house music and early techno. it is hard to talk about new order and other bands like them because theyre singularly responsible for creating their sound. we're talking a lot about bands that broke the mold and played with boundaries, so defining them is difficult. to me, new order really shone and really should be recognized for popularizing electronic dance music to rock crowds; what's going to top Blue Monday? who really likes Movement more than Power, Corruption, and Lies?

all of the genres we're touching on are some of my favorite, so apologies if i sound like a zealot.

as far as a good primer on all this, it is pretty difficult to find a place that will educate you about all of these different strands efficiently.

the way i see things evolve is you have the post punk movement in england during the early 80s, and you have basically the aftermath of punk rock-- people who were just over the nihilism and the lack of musicianship that was inherent in early british punk rock. in germany you have krautrock and neue deutsche welle movements experimenting with new tools, synthesizers, and cobbling together the sounds that would eventually trickle out into the world and influence many post punk bands to shift into what became known officially as new wave. [for instance, modern english used to be a post punk band. after hearing a lot of german new wave groups, they went on to release songs like their hit single 'melt with you']

you still have post punk, you have this new development of british new wave, and you have bands straddling the fence. around this time [1983-onwards] you also get the rise of british goth music, which at this point was still closely hewn to post punk and didnt yet feature a lot of synthesizer, which would go on to be a heavy influence in 2nd wave [late 80s and onwards] goth music.

new wave, by the way, originally referred to punk bands that shifted their sound from being less noisy and abrasive to more poppy and softer edged. post punk, at least in the 80s, referred more to the darker, more 'gothy' bands of the time, such as bauhaus and the chameleons, or even the sound or the psychadelic furs.

you forgot to mention that even martin hannett used to produce OMD motherfucker!

It's so tough to really describe all of this stuff as post punk because a lot of those bands regarded as post-punk were around and recording at the same time at the height of the punk movement.

Post punk is an even dumber name for a genre than emo, and it's classification harder. According to OMC, the darker stuff was considered post punk, but PiL was for me the definitive post punk band (whether it be because it was John Lydon's band or otherwise) and I wouldn't consider them really "dark" or "goth"...

Personally i find it much easier to say a band like Echo or like the Cure or so, just new wave. The cure being especially hard to classify because they re-invented themselves so many times.

as far as topping Blue Monday, I thought Bizzare Love Triangle did that. Well, at least outside a club.....