Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

is that story about van she true where they all showed up to an audition for a metal band and ended up making up a band that it is now?

Ahh i heard a similar story but I'm not sure. Likely chance is that they were just yanking a story writters crank and it isnt true BUT I've heard weirder stories.

was it the little asian dude or the real tall dude?

anyone have any i-f songs they could share with me. that stuff is impossible to find unless you collect records.

is that story about van she true where they all showed up to an audition for a metal band and ended up making up a band that it is now? that sounds funny. i've been noticing disco and metal kinda overlapsing. for exmaple DFA1979 dude is now in MSTRKRFT.

The only i-f song I have right now is space invaders are smoking grass, feel free to msg me and I'll arrange something.

is that story about van she true where they all showed up to an audition for a metal band and ended up making up a band that it is now? that sounds funny. i've been noticing disco and metal kinda overlapsing. for exmaple DFA1979 dude is now in MSTRKRFT.

transformer di roboter. get metal kings.

transformer di roboter. get metal kings.

van she? i dont think so, i think they met at uni, because im sure that 2 or 3 of them were friends studying architecture and decided to start a band, i dont think they auditioned for anything.

bonde do role is a fun dance group. They''re from brazil, mix with baile funk, electro and 80s sampled metal tracks. I guess if you like diplo, you have heard of them.

http://www.myspace.com/bondedorole

I find kitsune and output records put out some nice indie dance/electro artists but most of them don''t have full albums out, mostly collection of singles.

http://www.myspace.com/foxnwolf

http://www.myspace.com/maisonkitsune

The only i-f song I have right now is space invaders are smoking grass, feel free to msg me and I'll arrange something.

Okay here's a listing of what I have from I-F, just in case:

Fucking consumer (whole album)

I-F featuring Fred Ventura - I cut my heart out

I assume the original posters have found the tracks elsewhere, which is great but if anyone has similar stuff to recommend, feel free. I think Lowfish has an interesting take on electro in a more minimal vein.

I think I-F sucks.

Lowfish, Solvent, and the whole Suction Records crew have released some great stuff, esp. Lowfish's "1000 Corrections Per Second," one of the finest electro-pop albums ever released imho.

I also really, really like old Anthony Rother -- Sex With The Machines, Simulationszeitalter, and Little Computer People. It's been a while since I've heard some electro that really grabbed me, though...

apparently pitchfork is looking to jump onto the bandwagon, they've posted some pretty decent mixes within the past couple of days...

i'd pass on the Shir Khan except for a cursory listen, but the Donna Summer mix is pretty vicious. what's the deal with all this japanese trancecore and breakcore that is getting tied into the new rave scene (Scotch Egg, etc.)?

It's kind of funny how dance music has become huge in the indie scene within the past 3-4 years...

I mean, bands like Mstrkrft or whatever, Vitalic, etc. etc.

I was listening to this shit 11-12 years ago, without the guitar licks and scene pants. But it was called techno then. I wonder what took the Pitchfork crowd so long?

(yes I'm elitist and not afraid to admit it)

I've always listened to tons of music, any genre, didn't matter to me. Been a music geek all my life. So I'm totally with you on always having listened to what is just now reaching a new plateau in terms of popularity.

I think what took so long is that indie rock is finally undergoing a major downturn in terms of quality. The 90s were dominated, for the most part, by really good rock music being made by independent artists, and sometimes major label artists that managed to have a 'crossover' appeal, like the Smashing Pumpkins.

Enter 2001/2002, and all the good bands started breaking up, or had been around long enough to have run out of good ideas... add in the fact that the major labels finally realized that they could capitalize on the indie labels and on the indie sound and make tons of money, and indie rock took a big bullet in the skull. Copycat bands on major labels and MTV became de rigeur, and part of what makes indie rock what it is/was is that it stood in stark contrast to what was on the radio, on television, and that was gone.

Eventually, the two sort of merged. Indie rock became about all of the things that it used to stand against, sexiness, sleekness, fashion, etc. Bands started appearing in commercials, on tv show soundtracks, in the same clubs as A-list celebrities- in other words, just like hip-hop in the late 90s, indie rock became a marketing buzzword and all that was genuine and true about the music kind of leached out into the atmosphere.

I think that a lot of these alternative dance acts have picked up on that 'spirit' that indie rock lost, and that's why this stuff is getting so much attention right now. Not to say that these acts don't often aim for sexiness, sleekness, and fashion, but they're A. honest about it and B. the way they tackle those things isn't disingenuous like it is with

say, a beer commercial.

Anyway, that's my take. The Spin article is soon to follow.

It's kind of funny how dance music has become huge in the indie scene within the past 3-4 years...

I mean, bands like Mstrkrft or whatever, Vitalic, etc. etc.

I was listening to this shit 11-12 years ago, without the guitar licks and scene pants. But it was called techno then. I wonder what took the Pitchfork crowd so long?

(yes I'm elitist and not afraid to admit it)

because pitchforck fucking blows. because "scenesters" suddenly were required to take computer classes at community college or art schools. because suicide hung out witht the ramones.

because people finally found used dollar lps of nitzer ebb, front 242, gary numan, etc etc. at the goodwills/salvation armies.

take more elitism classes, homie.