Hair Products

Anton

hows that blind barber stuff compared to slick devil?

In characteristics, slightly but significantly stronger than Slick Devil. No shine at off. Will flake/crust off if applied into completely dry hair or in excess. Not good at all for a traditional pompadour, but has definitely potential for other styles (that I don't or don't know how to style).

i have thin hair too! just when i try to slick back it kinda bounces back and doesnt hold

How long is your hair? That might be the issue because shit...at some length...it's gotta eventually outweigh its own strength to standing.

Edited by The_Pomp.

did you ever achieve this look?

really want this for my stubborn, asian hair but dont know where to start Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my hair been like that 4 a while. i just wetcomb suavecito. sometimes use 'lil gel to hold slick back then finish wif pomade. the light application of gel is good for shitty cowlicks.

video 4 wetcombing asian du hair:

Edited by TRICK DOM

for slick backs and pompadours (in their true form)...anything from the grandad's line

tumblr_inline_mytd0w20E91raebjw.jpg

for matte and strong hold...anything with high wax content. anything from Dax Hair Wax to Byrd Hair Pomade with give you want you need. basically, if you find yourself using more than one product on the daily...you're like putting in too much effort, wasting money, and not looking at all the available options.

I don't have much to say on large-scale product manufacturers. I support and have more experience with small-time brewers aka homebrewers -- water or oil based.

tumblr_inline_mwqzm74DpM1raebjw.jpg tumblr_inline_mw36upru5G1raebjw.jpg 

may purchase some of this after I get a new haircut sometime next week..

image-2.jpg

..and this..

..my hair is too thick for sticky thick glue-like product.. I need like a real subtle moisturising cream to go into my 'bulk' of hair.

has anyone tried this yet?

I've tried the hard water and soft water pomades from Baxter and while I like them, they seem a bit too shiny for my taste. The hold is good, not too firm or gel like and it washes out with ease. For reference, I have somewhat dry, slightly curly hair and I was looking for something to give some hold (keep down frizz) but nice enough to run my fingers through my hair and not feel like I had product in it. At the end, Baxter's products weren't really for me. The only one I tried that I kind of liked was the clay pomade, it was more matte and a little went a long way.

My favorite product I've ever tried however is this stuff:

AesopVioletLeafHairBalm_cb-582x436.jpg

Best product I've ever used. I can't go a day without it. It holds nice, feels natural, it does not feel greasy even though it has the texture of hand lotion and it smells quite nice. 

for slick backs and pompadours (in their true form)...anything from the grandad's line

for matte and strong hold...anything with high wax content. anything from Dax Hair Wax to Byrd Hair Pomade with give you want you need. basically, if you find yourself using more than one product on the daily...you're like putting in too much effort, wasting money, and not looking at all the available options.

I don't have much to say on large-scale product manufacturers. I support and have more experience with small-time brewers aka homebrewers -- water or oil based.

i can tell. i havent saw most of the ones you talk about. i Just saw granddads the other day. Wat would you recommend for very high hold/control, Matte, not to smelly and something you can run your fingers through regularly without losing hold, so no dry hold? Volume too if thats possible. 

Edited by aoreugifragde

i can tell. i havent saw most of the ones you talk about. i Just saw granddads the other day. Wat would you recommend for very high hold/control, Matte, not to smelly and something you can run your fingers through regularly without losing hold, so no dry hold? Volume too if thats possible. 

I'd say go for the Grandad's Heavy Weight and custom order your scent. You can ask him to go light on it too. It's relatively wax heavy compared to the other pomades I've recently looked into. So you'll get good hold, and it won't get too greasy.

also anybody ever try murrys beeswax? Ive heard from people that its shiny with great hold and some say its matte. Its very cheap and comes in a decent sized bottle

I'd stay away from it. It's a really greasy product and smells terrible. Unless you're using it in very small amounts or in combination, it's actually pretty gross stuff.

noob but how do i order the different kind of holds from there etsy site? i can only select scent as options to pick from?

noob but how do i order the different kind of holds from there etsy site? i can only select scent as options to pick from?

For Grandad's? I see where the confusion is. In that same selection, it's not only scent. You'll also see the designation of strength prior to the scent (i.e. light, medium, heavy).

alright, so i think its time to get some new products since i am almost done with my shiner's gold.  For the record, i really liked the product, though it is my first pomade so i don't have much experience.  I kinda like it cause it doesnt give me that super greasy look and its easy to work with.

Any suggestions for what else to get?  I was initially gonna go for another tin of the shiner's gold and try the imperial products, but open to suggestions

on a side note, any suggestions on shampoos that hydrates and give softer hair?  my hair is usually super hard to work with

Thanks!

alright, so i think its time to get some new products since i am almost done with my shiner's gold.  For the record, i really liked the product, though it is my first pomade so i don't have much experience.  I kinda like it cause it doesnt give me that super greasy look and its easy to work with.

Any suggestions for what else to get?  I was initially gonna go for another tin of the shiner's gold and try the imperial products, but open to suggestions

on a side note, any suggestions on shampoos that hydrates and give softer hair?  my hair is usually super hard to work with

Thanks!

Can't say anything about Imperial's line yet. Ummm...Grant's Original is a very similar product to Shiner Gold, but I think you'd wanna try something better. The Daimon Barber No.1 will provide you with slightly weaker hold but the finish it gives off is unmatched by any other water-based pomade.

What are you looking for? As in characteristics of the product.

I got Imperial classic 4. It's good. 20 bux for that jar. Is it worth it? I don't know. Per oz, sauvecito, even cool grease, which is imported from JPN, is cheaper. How long do you guys expect Imperials to last? I feel like I need to apply a pretty generous amount of pomade every time. I have thick Azn hair with an undercut. It's that 7:3 style but the 3 is cut super short. 

This b a fashun forum. No one wants to ruin their jawnz (0).

Aesop is for rich wyppl.

I tried their Classic Pomade. At $20 for a 6oz. jar and consistency it is, it would last me up to two months which is far more than any other water-based pomade including Suavecito. But is it just a fancy, refined gel? Yeah. 

Been using Imperial Classic pomade for a little bit. Works well but what pomade do you recommend for short side part? 

Been using Imperial Classic pomade for a little bit. Works well but what pomade do you recommend for short side part? 

Yeah. Imperial Classic would be a lil too strong for that -- it'll do the job but it's overkill. I'd say The Daimon Barber No.1 if budget isn't a concern and you wanna stay water-based. Admiral Pomade would be another water-based choice that's more reasonably priced. Plus, you can us the promo code they made for my blog, "ThePomp" -- takes for $4 per jar. 

If you wanna move over to oil-based, I'd recommend The Iron Society Original or Byrd Hair Pomade.

found my tin of uppercut deluxe from 2 years ago. i think it has aged. don't remember it being this sticky. works much better than i remembered now.

Over time, water evaporates from water-based pomades which causes them to thicken up and obtain a hazy look in the jar. Be sure to keep it capped from now on because it'll get really dry if you happen to leave it open. Another way of thinking about it is that you've obtained the optimum aging, it is now at its peak ratio of water-to-product. Any drier past this point, the pomade is only getting worse. 

And you can't just mix water into it. I've tried it LOLOLOL.