Hair Products

Anton

Any recs for a product that can hold my sides down but has a matte finish? Don't like brushing down my sides every 2 hours.

I've heard great reviews on Baxter of California's Clay Pomade.

clay-pomade.jpg

Strong hold + matte finish. It may be just what you're looking for if you're willing to spend $18.

i just grabbed a bunch of cheap drugstore products...went on a loreal spree since the invisi gel and dirty clay worked decently for me in the past.

this works for slicking down the sides and imparting a slight sheen to the voluminous part of the quiff (where it starts from the part). Also the sides remain soft and sleek...i just basically re-comb my sides every few hours w/o having to use hairspray to set the sides in the 1st place. So yea no more weird stiff looking sides which is a plus.

L%2527Oreal+Sculpting+Wax_001.jpg

otherwise, its horrible for anything else. Wax-based, so its horribly oily and applying it to other areas of my hair turned out to be a nightmare....@ SGD $5 a tub it's aight.

Yeah still like my hairbond, sebastain and expensive sprays but drugstore stuff works well for my slick-backs/side parts etc.

Gonna try my grandad byrlcreem next week.

Edited by DJ_Flame

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i was trying the whole no shampoo thing for a while but read that it's probably bullshit and i wasn't totally satisfied with the results anyway. that said, after shampooing my hair becomes really limp and i can't do anything with it. product helps but only to a certain degree. i have very fine, straight hair and thought it was generally dry but read that fine hair typically means oily so it's probably the latter. anyone have recommendations for a shampoo? i don't think i'll use it more than twice a week but i need something that will allow me to style my hair after using it.

Edited by wurm

^^^ for anyone interested:

i got my haircut yesterday and asked my stylist what she recommended. she said pretty much anything for normal, already healthy hair would work. i'd been using a damage control one which she said i definitely shouldn't use. maybe that's partly why i hated shampooing. she recommended dove as a cheap brand and to stay away from brands/shampoos with a lot of unnecessary ingredients (pantene being one of them). she used tea tree shampoo on me and also recommended it. it feels really good in my hair. naturally, i checked some out online and prices were quite high. but it turns out trader joe's has one for like $4 - waaayyy less expensive than others. no trader joe's here but i'm going home to houston for a few days soon and will get some then. if i remember to say what i think of it, i'll let people know.

i was trying the whole no shampoo thing for a while but read that it's probably bullshit and i wasn't totally satisfied with the results anyway.

me too, tried it twice (both times over a few months) and it sucked. once i stopped my hair and scalp went back to normal.

I hear the brand Organix is good - paraban and sulfate free!! :) and grocery store cheap.

Edited by joeyod007

Yeah, it's not the best hold but it's extremely matte. I'll take that and occasional re-touching over rock hard hold that looks like your hair was cemented on.

is it touchable? like after i put wax in my hair and make sort of a quiff i like to mess with it through-out the day, will it wear out if i touch it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i wish you could order samples sizes of hair products instead of buying full size. maybe you can but i've never seen it.

also, the trader joe's tea tree shampoo i got is pretty good. nothing mind blowing but at $4 it's way worth it. and i like the tigi matte product. definitely different from the sumotech and was a bit difficult getting used to but i like it more, or at least just as much.

^^^ for anyone interested:

i got my haircut yesterday and asked my stylist what she recommended. she said pretty much anything for normal, already healthy hair would work. i'd been using a damage control one which she said i definitely shouldn't use. maybe that's partly why i hated shampooing. she recommended dove as a cheap brand and to stay away from brands/shampoos with a lot of unnecessary ingredients (pantene being one of them). she used tea tree shampoo on me and also recommended it. it feels really good in my hair. naturally, i checked some out online and prices were quite high. but it turns out trader joe's has one for like $4 - waaayyy less expensive than others. no trader joe's here but i'm going home to houston for a few days soon and will get some then. if i remember to say what i think of it, i'll let people know.

tea tree shampoo is awesome. makes your scalp feel tingly in a good way. downside is that it is expensive.

Realized a good blow dryer is just as essential as a good product.

i'd say good hair dryer technique is much more essential than having a good hair dryer itself.

my stylist just tells me to get anything a salon would get. for shampoos and conditioners, what do you guys use? i use malibu (sulfate-free) shampoo and matrix conditioner

i use either grown (australian organic brand) damask rose & black pepper or aesop classic shampoo and malin+goetz cilantro conditioner.

i'd say good hair dryer technique is much more essential than having a good hair dryer itself.

i use either grown (australian organic brand) damask rose & black pepper or aesop classic shampoo and malin+goetz cilantro conditioner.

+1 on technique, using a brush to boost the volume with heat has been invaluable for me.

I use Avalon organics thickening shampoo daily, Giovanni tea tree shampoo once a week for clarifying and redken all soft to condition after...sulfate-less shampoo are really the way to go.