Pride FC and MMA

Haz

I agree - I had low expectations for the Maynard v. Edgar fight based on Grey's previous fights...but, it was awesome. Exciting from bell to bell. I'm stoked to watch part 3.

Not a Clay Guida fan as a fighter but I'm pretty sure he lives out of an RV and just travels all over to train.

Jim Miller v. Melvin Guillard anyone?

How is Frankie Edgar firing on all cylinders going 100% from round 1 to round 5 not inspiring to you?

You guys are weird. I mean...Frankie Edgar is just like Clay Guida except he's actually good at things that extend beyond having a cool walk out t-shirt and caveman hair.

None of them have weak points in their games but same goes for the strong points.

Edgar's stamina is beyond incredible tho, I must give him that.

I just don't think he will be keeping the title for a long time considering he's been getting pretty good beatings in most of his fights.

Gray Maynard isn't in any way comparable to all the other champions.

I'll see how hard it is to get my cardio up high enough to survive 5 rounds of 5 minutes, I might eat my words later but for now, I havn't seen anything really solid coming out of him.

I'll watch the 5 round battle tonight just to make sure I'm not being an idiot about this but from what I've seen previously, Maynard is an average compared to most top contenders in other divisions and Edgar is a wrestler with a great chin and amazing cardio.

Edit: Just watched the fight and I must say... I'm even more underwhelmed by their performances. It was a great watch to an extent but the amount of flaws and lack of setups is beyond ridiculous for fighters at that level.

Also, the small amount of ground game that was displayed was very poor. Grey Maynard's guillotine defense consists of leaving both hands on the mat. Lolwut?

Another thing that I found annoying was the amount of lazy kicks that were thrown (considering both are supposed to be world class wrestlers) without any type of shoot/takedown attempt. If you want to try to win by decision, go for the god damn takedowns!

Last but not least, as mentionned previously, their kicks, big punch combinations and shoots were almost never set up with a smaller combination or anything for that matter. It's pretty much impossible to land a great kick or takedown without a setup unless you somehow get lucky.

It's much quicker to jab someone than it is to kick them and same goes for sprawling/takedowns.

It's Edgar's lack of punching power. That's why people haven't bought in to him, and why he's he most underrated and underappreciated CHAMPION since I can remember.

But he's shown he's got the accuracy to stun and rock people (veach, maynard, etc). People wonder how he'll be able to stay a threat, but imo, he'll do it he same way gsp has done so dominately for so long. He'll outwrestle and outwork strikers, he'll outstrike and hold off wrestlers, and he'll be jumping around constantly while doing so. His constantly improving striking, footwork, and head movement can't be ignored either.

I've supported him since his thorough beating of bocek and impressive display of grittiness against griffin. His well-roundedness and heart are why I believe he'll remain the champ, if not a top contender for years to come, despite his size and lack of k.o. power.

I'm extremely bored in class so I just transcribed every running thought in my head down, so excuse the rant-like rant.

Yes, it is the lack of KO power that bothers me.

Look at all the other champions, they have the ability to KO or finish they opponent, even featherweight motherfuckers can do that.

It completely takes out the element of surprise from their fights, when you go into a championship-fight expecting them to go the distance.

With that being said, the first round of their last fight was quite good. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gray going in for the finish like that, and Edgar surviving that beating.

I don't understand how someone with a weak chin and lack of KO power would stand up for so long in a fight. He received as many punches from Maynard as he threw. That's not a way to be retaining a title.

He should use his footwork and head movement a lot more efficiently since he has the cardio to move around like crazy.

I'd love to see him use his wrestling and improve/use his jiu-jitsu more aggressively. He could easily dodge many attacks if he were to concentrate on actually counter punching instead of just rushing in, thus giving him more opportunities to either use the momentum of the other fighter to harvest the KO power he needs or improve his takedown efficiency.

Lozinski is pretty right. GSP got some skills. He fights to win not to excite.

Whats everyones opinion on bj penn? Him and fitch are gonna have a rematch in july i think. I use to think bj had so much potential but not anymore :(. He's still one of my favorite fighters though.

The guys been surrounded by yesmen his entire career, and rightly so. Granted, he switched that up a year or so ago. Unfortunately, his mindset evolved around that kind of environment, and I truly don't think he has it in him to train as hard as these up-n-comers. I don't necessarily mean in terms of intensity, but more so in striving to constantly learn and evolve with the game. Though I could be completely wrong, seeing as he trained with Hughes and Mayweather Sr. for his last fight, but even if he set his mind to it, I don't think he's got the time left in his career to make a major impact.

Fighting at WW isn't doing him any favors either.

thoughts?

Absolutely. His ground game is beastly but the rest is nothing crazy. Especially his cardio. He's been fighting in lightweight recently but he could easily drop a class if he lost a bit of weight.

I would love to attend one of his seminars if the opportunity were to arise.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you guys going to the show? I'm trying to see if I can get tickets for cheap.

I was going to get some last friday when I got home from work then I totally forgot until yesterday and when I went online they were up to 200$ from $80. SMH.

Been saying it for some time now, but I'll say it again... Nick Diaz is the second best WW in the game. His pitter-patter punches always had power, but now they actually look like they have power, maybe this will finally change the minds of fairweather fans.

Melendez's performance in one word = Onslaught. Loved the constant head movement to overhand rights. That last sprawl, followed by the barrage of uppercuts, to jumping on Kawajiri with those violent elbows brought maaaad chills.

Henderson vs Fedor at heavyweight this summer. Can't believe the Russians turned down an immediate title shot @ 205. Guess they want to have the weight advantage for once.

And Diaz is legit, even though I don't think he deserves the number 2 spot. He is entertaining as all hell, and I'm always looking forward to a Diaz fight (Nick or Nate).

Been saying it for some time now, but I'll say it again... Nick Diaz is the second best WW in the game. His pitter-patter punches always had power, but now they actually look like they have power, maybe this will finally change the minds of fairweather fans.

Ok, so...I really thought about this and something kept telling me not to respond but Im going to do it anyway.

You have to literally be insane or flat out trolling to think that Nick Diaz is the 2nd best WW in the world. His number one strength is cardio mixed with toughness. His number one weakness though is fucking glaring and at welterweight in the UFC it would be exploited to no end. That weakness is wrestling. There isnt a Diaz brother that undertands, or probably even knows what wrestling is. I mean look at the Daley fight when he was on his back against the cage. Do you disagree that a wrestler such as Josh Koscheck, or Jon Fitch wouldn't absolutely obliterate him from that position? He couldnt handle it when Joe Riggs did it, or when Sean Sherk did it or when Diego Sanchez did it. And granted, he is a much better fighter than he was then but his bottom game has absolutely not made the kind of improvements necessary to fend of elbows from a wrestler. Clearly he always has a chance to sub almost nearly anyone in the division but I honestly do not see that happening with any of the top wrestlers at WW or even any of the top game BJJ players like a Paulo Thiago.

Thats not to say that Nick Diaz cant learn wrestling and make me eat my words but lets be honest, thats never going to happen. He hates the very idea.

Now, with all that said. If a BJ Penn/Diaz or Fitch/Diaz fight is ever scheduled. I dont care where it is I'm on a flight and I'm in the arena.

BTW I went to Diaz/Daley and I'm pretty disappointed that championship match got stopped with 3 seconds left. I wonder if Big John was unaware of the time left...