Pride FC and MMA

Haz

His boxing training partner at times is Manny Pacquiao who has said that GSP has excellent boxing and could stand up to many top ranked boxers.

As far as I know they have trained ONCE together and Manny gave GSP props just as GSP called him his favorite boxer etc. It was pretty much advertising.

Just recognized the magnitude of this fight. More so on a personal level than in terms of relevance in the MMA scene.

From the limited amount of training footage I've seen, I'm hoping/expecting Fedor to utilized a lot tighter boxing with plenty of straight rights. Hopefully some low-kicks to goad Hendo into overhand rights, and appropriate counters for when he does.

Won't be 100% disappointed though if Hendo wins, seeing as he's from a relatively unknown city which I'm from as well.

Just recognized the magnitude of this fight. More so on a personal level than in terms of relevance in the MMA scene.

From the limited amount of training footage I've seen, I'm hoping/expecting Fedor to utilized a lot tighter boxing with plenty of straight rights. Hopefully some low-kicks to goad Hendo into overhand rights, and appropriate counters for when he does.

Won't be 100% disappointed though if Hendo wins, seeing as he's from a relatively unknown city which I'm from as well.

XfttM.gif

Ke1: Do you mean Downey or Temecula?

arent hits to the back of the head illegal?

they are, on another night those would've been caught by the ref. i take absolutely nothing away from hendo, he's one of my favorite fighters as well. like a lot of people, i just wish fedor would train with other camps to really hone his formidable skills. didn't seem like he had much of a strategy to start with. didn't establish a good base in side control position, tried a sloppy turtle to guard move and paid for it dearly.

It's pretty interesting that even though Russia is a huge wrestling hub, pretty much every Russian fighter has extremely poor positional grappling skills. To be fair though, in regards to training with others, he did go train with Hoost and the other guys at Iron World and Golden Glory.

But I cant say that If I was going to fight Hendo I would feel the need to work on my MT.

Fedor and Gomi.... fuck. These two fighters thrived too much on their "sloppy" yet effective styles in PRIDE, that at this point, even if they tried to slightly "refine" their approach, it would be too late/foreign for them.

@Zubin, back of the head shots were the ones that woke Fedor up =/

@Zubin, back of the head shots were the ones that woke Fedor up =/

haha, just noticed this. Sucks to see a once mythical creature taken down like that. kinda like how randy coutoures career ended.

Thats one thing about this sport, everyone has their "prime years" and after that, in order to maintain the sanctity of their domination they should just get out and not tarnish what they've done (chuck liddell, bj penn, fedor, etc.)

i guess while we're on the subject of past their prime, how the fuck is Tito Ortiz still relevant in MMA? Check out his last payout for an even huger mindfuck

two of those things are not like the other two.

Also Tito isn't relevant he's just one of the guys that got the UFC to where they are now and Dana takes care of those guys.

The best thing about that is helps you place Tito Ortiz in context. There was a time where a Tito Ortiz defended an actual title against an Elvis Sinosic. That was a title fight just ten years ago. Almost to the day.

I miss the ramp, and the shock & awe of early MMA promotions though. Strikeforce just doesn't pull it off right.

@Zubes, it was a vague reference to how Tito was the shit back then, helping to cement UFC as a household name, and that even now he still has the ability to self-promote and attract fans. Did you fucking SEE that grave-digging after he wrecked Bader? The intensity and raw emotion was bone-chilling.

editor's note: I don't think he'll ever hold a belt again, nor do I think he'll beat much more significant fighters aside from Rashad (maybe..), but I do think he's done enough to damn well choose when or when he doesn't want to be relevant in MMA anymore. The guy gets a bad rap because of his acceptance as the heel, but dudes a normal/kind guy irl, not unlike Diaz.

Tito Ortiz is not a nice guy he's a huge scumbag that ripped people for training camps, flat out stole money from other fighters and nobody likes him. None of the old punishment guys and actually none of the Huntington Beach guys will have anything to do with him anymore.

He doesnt really give interviews anymore but if you can find any of his old interviews on like sherdog its pretty evident when he speaks that he's a goddamn headcase.

fedor3838.gif

Straight up doing the stanky leg.

And speaking of Nate who is a legit awesome dude, I just found this equally awesome gif:

25g9y6h.gif

209 errrrrday. Dont be scared, homie.

Seeing Hallmans meat and potatoes is definitely something I was hoping id get to see so I'm glad the UFC could make that happen.

Great event. I was surprised at all the anti-Evans sentiment and even more so surprised by the pro-Ortiz chants. Though I still get those nostalgia butterflies whenever I see him fight but especially when he fights and doesn't look too bad. That knee was thrown at the perfect time though. Very enjoyable fight.

Gustafsson is turning into a beast.

RIP Akiyama.

Did anyone notice that just before Evans threw the knee Goldberg said "Very disciplined to not throw that knee". Then just after he threw it and Rogan said how good of a knee it was Goldberg replied, "Very disciplined to throw that knee.".

• 2 weeks later...