Ken Park

Lucky Number Slevin

Fast Times At Ridgemont High

24 hour party people

Lords of Dogtown

Fast and the furious

Gladiator

Lost in Translation

loved it. havent watched the other movie in the series though. i dont think they have the movie on okinawa. ill have to order it off of amazon. but i just dont like buying movies.

word. i never buy dvds, but i knew the first time i saw dogville i'd eventually have to own it. i won't even watch it often, nor bring it out when hanging with others...it's too heavy. why do i own it? don't know. i had to have it.

i haven't seen manderlay yet, either. may have to buy it anyway.

off the top of my head...

Natural Born Killers

Rules of Attraction

Die Hard (1, 2, 3, maybe 4 if it's any good when it comes out)

Secretary

Fantasia

Almost Famous

The Virgin Suicides

American Psycho

Mona Lisa Smile

Sid&Nancy

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

edit: Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

A Scanner Darkly

Here's yet another recycling of Fuuma's top 100 movies. It hasn't been updated in a while and anyway the goal is just to suggest some movies you might enjoy not to have some sort of definitive statement about the cinema.

How it works:

-I’ll make a post for every decade, starting with the 1910s, for a total of 100 movies

-I didn’t include more than two movies by the same director for variety’s sake

-The list is, of course, heavily slanted towards my own taste; for example you’ll find a proportionally large numbers of French films

-I tried to give the list a modern slant by including a lot of recent films (80s and up)

-Those are only small blurbs, if you’re interested in one of those movies, feel free to ask, I like watching ‘em and I like talking about ‘em!

Fuuma's top 100 movies: 10's

Vampires, les/France/Feuillade/1916: Engrossing crime serial with a macabre edge, the main character is boring but you’ll be cheering for the amoral members of “les vampires†gang

Fuuma's top 100 movies: 20s

-Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the/Germany/Wiene/1920: Made in the aftermath of WW1. Not so subtle critique of the powers that be, the nightmarish landscapes of this expressionistic movie are a sight to behold

-Nosferatu/Germany/Murnau/1922: Another fine example of German expressionism, this one is truly creepy thanks to Max Schreck eerily performance who owes as much to the elaborate gestures of theatre actors as to the much more restrained style that would soon emerge in the cinematic world.

-Metropolis/Germany/Lang/1926: Probably the first dystopian sci-fi movie, certainly the best

-An andalusian dog/Un chien andalou/France/Bunuel/1929: A dreamlike journey through the subconscious mind of Bunuel (and Dali). The Surrealists were among the first to understand that cinema could be a viable artistic pursuit, worthy of other visual arts

Great list, Fuuma. I've seen 3/5 films so far, although I have a feeling that ratio will dwindle rapidly as you continue, and now I have two more films to go and find / watch.

great list indeed. im looking forward to the rest of your list.

I could go on about film for some time, but off the top of my head, some of my favorite films are by..

David Lean

Alfred Hitchcock

Akira Kurosawa

Stanley Kubrick

Yasujiro Ozu

Whit Stillman

Wes Anderson

Blake Edwards

Jean-Luc Godard

Shohei Imamura <-- I've only seen one of his actually, but it's magnificent. Vengeance is Mine, check it out if you're interested in the legacy of the Pacific War in Japan.

Shinichiro Watanabe <-- not live action but Cowboy Bebop is amazing.

Shinichiro Watanabe <-- not live action but Cowboy Bebop is amazing.

Not a huge fan of the series itself, but this is a pretty great film. Shinichiro is a great storyteller, and I find it to be an interesting (primarily entertaining), although obviously not terribly in-depth, examination of Descarte's dream theory. This was apparent but did not register with me until I talked about it with a film-buff friend of mine, it makes it all the more interesting.

Probably ought to end the anime discussion now since I'm pretty sure Minya will ban everyone on the entire forum if we don't, but Akira remains a must see for anyone interested in film or animation. A classic in every sense, the philosophy and themes behind the film are just as fascinating as the plot and incredible (for it's time and even now) art direction and animation. If you're interested in comics at all, a friend all lent me Otomo's Domu or A Child's Dream. Some similiar themes, also brilliantly told and drawn. The wikipedia for Akira does a very decent job of explaining the themes, should one get lost in viewing.

Miyazaki's Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are both gorgeous films. The first is fantastic in every sense and even won an Academy Award. This film truly transcends the genre. Before Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke was his best work, and while it does not rival Spirited Away in my opinion it does not make it any less impressive.

Anyway, a couple of animes that are worth watching and avoid most typicaly anime clichés.

gummo is nice.

sid and nacy is bogus, why was that mentioned?

lock stock and 2 smoking barrels.

once again, city of god was eye immaculate.

tranformers the movie.

american psycho

cocaine cowboys

Fuuma's top 100: 30s

-All Quiet on the Western Front/USA/Milestone/1930: Dramatic anti-war film and a strong indictment of ultra-nationalism, as seen from the German side.

-M/Germany/Lang/1931: A serial killer is on the loose and the town is in a climate of panic and hysteria after eight children have been found dead. The denunciations, name calling and paranoia present in the film take on an interesting subtext when you consider what was going on in Germany at that time. In the highly unlikely case you aren’t aware of what I’m referring to, please stop surfing the net and pick up a history book.

-Atalante, l'/France/Vigo/1934: A story that is at times both humorous and deeply poetic. The collaboration between Vigo, who would die a year after completing his masterpiece (and only feature length film), and cameramen Boris Kaufman, Dziga Vertov’s half-brother, yields results of tremendous evocative power

-39 steps/UK/Hitchcock/1935: This is one hell of a charming movie. Hitchcock invented the guy&girl (both glamorous of course) who’re in trouble with the law/bad guys/etc and must join force to succeed while their mutual contempt tinted attraction fluctuate according to exterior circumstances. Basically a romantic comedy where the typical obstacles to the protagonists love are replaced by elements taken from thrillers.

-Grand illusion, the/Grande Illusion, la/France/Renoir/1937: Renoir once again sets his penetrating gaze on the change of class dynamics after WWI, just looming in the horizon in this case, with this tale of French POW planning their escape from German camps

-Alexander Nevski/URSS/Eisenstein/1938: Made at a time when Russo-Germanic relations weren’t at their all time high to say the least, this movie delivers its pro-Russian message with maestria. Observe how clothing, equipment and battle formations, by the judicious use of geometric shapes, contributes to the overall feeling you get from each army.

Fuuma's top 100 movies: 40s

-Maltese falcon, the/USA/Huston/1941: Quintessential noir movie, the shadows in this one owe a lot to the German impressionist films I listed earlier (see 20s)

-This gun for hire/USA/Tuttle/1942: Veronica Lake and one of the first “hitman who finds redemption in the love he has for a woman†type of movie that I’m a sucker for

-Corbeau, le/France/Clouzot/1943: Can be seen as a metaphor for occupied France (made and released during said occupation) oh and Clouzot is the French Hitchcock

-Laura/USA/Preminger/1944: NYC socialite Laura is murdered at her posh Manhattan apartment, typical hard-boiled cop handles the investigation but who’s responsible for the murder and more importantly is the cop falling for the dead girl? Supporting roles are great with a young Vincent Price playing a kind of high society playboy/gigolo and Clifton Webb in a memorable turn as bitchy dandy star journalist Waldo Lydecker.

-Beauty and the beast\Belle et la bête, la/France/Cocteau/1946: I first saw it was a kid, it is so poetic and aesthetically pleasing that it left a really strong impression on me at the time. As far as dreamlike movies goes, I favour this one over the critic’s favourite (still an incredible movie) Ugetsu. My occidental cultural background probably makes it easier to wrap my mind around the decidedly Freudian undercurrents (young maiden’s perception of the danger and thrills of manhood) of this fairytale than the more alien mindset required to approach Mizoguchi’s movie.

-Out of the past/USA/Tourneur/1947: Another noir with a femme fatale so wicked you can’t help but love her. Featuring Kirk Douglas in a career defining first(?) role

-Bicycle thief, the/Italie/DeSica/1948: Moving, humane, essential

-Lady from Shanghai, the/USA/Welles/1947: This instead of citizen Kane you say; well check it out. This one also includes the amazing angles, impressive sets (including the much discussed glass maze shootout), dry wit and superb performance that have made Welles famous but without bringing as much attention to themselves as they do in Citizen kane.

-Third man, the/UK/Reed/1949: Just a great thriller, a famous cuckoo speech and one of the best, again German impressionism inspired, use of shadows ever (see the last scene).

Fuuma's top 100 movies: 40s

-Maltese falcon, the/USA/Huston/1941: Quintessential noir movie, the shadows in this one owe a lot to the German impressionist films I listed earlier (see 20s)

Nice. If I may, however, I'd suggest reading the book as well for the pure hardboiled detective experience (I'll also recommend The Big Sleep while I'm at it). While excellent, the films lose certain quintessential genre elements of the books, The Big Sleep especially.

Excellent anime suggestions Servo, though I’d argue that the Bebop series offers much more (IMO of course). I’d also add Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro to your Miyazaki list. Have you seen either of them? I love their sense of a bygone age (even the pirates have honor in Porco Rosso).

Nice. If I may, however, I'd suggest reading the book as well for the pure hardboiled detective experience (I'll also recommend The Big Sleep while I'm at it). While excellent, the films lose certain quintessential genre elements of the books, The Big Sleep especially.

Excellent anime suggestions Servo, though I’d argue that the Bebop series offers much more (IMO of course). I’d also add Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro to your Miyazaki list. Have you seen either of them? I love their sense of a bygone age (even the pirates have honor in Porco Rosso).

Definitely. I love Miyazaki, but I the ones I offered were what I thought were perhaps better introductions to the genre as a whole and can perhaps be more widely enjoyed by people who don't have any taste for animation / anime / etc... If you enjoy any of the movies I've mentioned, I can more-or-less suggest that just about any Miyazaki film would be worth your time. I'm not really a huge fan of anime, in fact I have a distinct distaste for quite a bit of it (formulaic, generic, poorly animated, etc...) but there are certainly some standouts.

As the Youngest superfuturian here i present my ultimate list for every young, super-warrior-in-training:

begin with the basics: movies that make your feel good, think, and question shit

Forrest Gump

The Usual Suspects

The Shawshank redemption

A Cat on a Hot tin Roof

Wag the Dog

Coffee and Cigarrettes

Down by Law

Stranger than Paradise

It's a Wonderful Life

the next tier should be movies that deal with an experience, something that takes you with it:

Apocalypse Now

On the Waterfront

The Seven Samurai

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Unforgiven

Pi

Blue Velvet

La Dolce Vida

The Rules of the Game (dont know the french name for it)

Julius Caesar (the version with James mason as Brutus and Marlon Brando as antony)

Kill Bill 1/2

Pulp Fiction

Yojimbo

and the third genre of movies to watch that somehow do something to change your life

or just leave you in that state of complete awe as you notice that your eyes are bleeding from the sheer beauty of them:

Mishima: a life in four chapters

2001: a space odyssey

8 1/2

koyaanisqatsi (best seen live with phillip glass)

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

The seventh Seal

i just think that there are three types of movies that represent 3 different types of film making. my thoughts currently are not forming themselves into words as i started this post 3 hours ago, but i forgot about it while doing my homeowrk and eating, and then suddenly remembering it and trying to finish it i cant remember what it was that i was actually trying to say

but that is my recommeneded movie list for the youth of super future

which i am proudly a part of.

Not a huge fan of the series itself, but this is a pretty great film. Shinichiro is a great storyteller, and I find it to be an interesting (primarily entertaining), although obviously not terribly in-depth, examination of Descarte's dream theory. This was apparent but did not register with me until I talked about it with a film-buff friend of mine, it makes it all the more interesting.

cowboy bebop series > cowboy bebop move

irreversible

the range and depth of emotion and physical reaction this film evoked in me was astounding.

the concept of the way the fiolm is shot is reminiscent of memento and the editing is second to none. and the soundtrack is literally out of this world

but the graphic physical violence depicted on screen, i have never seen before and frankly never want to see again.

forget about hollywood cartoon violence-lite.

this hurts to watch

all this and i couldnt finish it yesterday

will try again tonight

so watch it ASAP

<repost from the forign film thread.>