Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

Damn, just read that the 5" subs on my KRK RP5 studio monitors might not be putting out the sub bass frequencies accurately so my mixing might be all off...

Basically, I need to sell these, take a 100$ hit, and then spend another 500+ on new and bigger monitors. AND I have to keep saving for other music jawn.

^ how long have you been making music? if the answer is less than 2-3 years, i wouldn't worry about it too much. of course eqing/mixdown/etc is a huge part of making a song sound "just right" but if your fundamentals aren't down it doesn't matter either way.

i'm not trying to hate, i haven't even heard anything you've made. but it's easy to get too caught up in gear and forget that most great electronic musicians started out on humble setups. this guy i know recently got a record deal, and his setup to that point was a macbook, an m-audio oxygen (the sub-$100 plastic one), and some decent computer speakers (but obviously not monitors or anything). of course now he's upgrading, but the point is a basic setup can get you there.

Damn, just read that the 5" subs on my KRK RP5 studio monitors might not be putting out the sub bass frequencies accurately so my mixing might be all off...

Basically, I need to sell these, take a 100$ hit, and then spend another 500+ on new and bigger monitors. AND I have to keep saving for other music jawn.

what you need to do is get yourself a good frequency analizer.......you can get real good free ones with mags such as futuremusic/ computermusic/ soundonsound/ musictech etc etc.......find a real good track you think has the same fundamentals as your track, find a track with a bottom end you like and ideally the same sort of weight youd like....also make sure its a 16bit cd audio quality, an mp3 isnt gonna work too good on the frequency analizer...

play the track through the analizer, get a good graphic picture of the peaks and troffs.....look at the weight under 80hz or so, even up to about 120hz.

compare this track to yours.....on the analizer....give your track the weight it needs....i use ns10s, they are industry standard, they have noo bottom end, its all done on the analizer these days, though some sub speakers keeps the neighbours happy:)

also just fiddle about with your track at the mastering stage, eq works wonders

what you need to do is get yourself a good frequency analizer.......you can get real good free ones with mags such as futuremusic/ computermusic/ soundonsound/ musictech etc etc.......find a real good track you think has the same fundamentals as your track, find a track with a bottom end you like and ideally the same sort of weight youd like....also make sure its a 16bit cd audio quality, an mp3 isnt gonna work too good on the frequency analizer...

play the track through the analizer, get a good graphic picture of the peaks and troffs.....look at the weight under 80hz or so, even up to about 120hz.

compare this track to yours.....on the analizer....give your track the weight it needs....i use ns10s, they are industry standard, they have noo bottom end, its all done on the analizer these days, though some sub speakers keeps the neighbours happy

Well, I use the one that came with Live and I cross reference it with other mixes that I like and I check my mix often with studio-grade headphones and iPod earbuds to make sure it will sound reasonable, but I'm still really worried that someone in a position to up my reputation in the world of production will come across it and think "bad mixing" and it will taint his or her view of my production ability.

went to dave & busters tonight for the first time. had a couple drinks but it was pretty overpriced and not even that fun.

d&b's is like 5 minutes from my house, i used to hella go when i first turned 21. it's like high school reunion when i go there so i don't go there anymore.

Well, I use the one that came with Live and I cross reference it with other mixes that I like and I check my mix often with studio-grade headphones and iPod earbuds to make sure it will sound reasonable, but I'm still really worried that someone in a position to up my reputation in the world of production will come across it and think "bad mixing" and it will taint his or her view of my production ability.

mastering a track on headphones is a no....however expensive they are. headphones are good for checking the stereo image, and placement of tracks, and genaral listening...imo the best analizer there is is the one in wavelab. i use wavelab 5. the analizer in that is very accurate. i use the one in live, but never for mastering.....imo whats better a bad mix and good mastering or a good track and bad mastering?...i know which one id take....mastering takes years to master, but practice makes perfect, i good idea to see what is wrong with your mix is to send it to somebody you trust.....also send your tracks to mags, they will soon tell you if anything is wrong,....also it depends on what style of music your making, as they all have different eq curves compression settings, and how hard to slam the limiter, for each genera....in todays world of mixing its all aqbout how loud you can get your track, the louder it goes the more poor quality your getting, unless you have thousands of pounds of tube equipment.........you could send your track/tracks to me, do you have a myspace?...i could give you an opinion???

I figure it's a good idea to check how it sounds because most people have a decent pair of headphones or at very least earbuds.

And what magazines were you talking about?

EDIT: And yeah there is almost no traffic to the page because I just started the networking process two days ago.

your right yes, most people nowadays listen on headphones, which is why everyone loves mp3's.

the mags im talking about are all uk mags. i see you are america, ive seen a few american mags but i know all the ones ive mentioned are in the states, and probably the best for your type of stuff. computer music and future music, check them online....:)....i wasnt saying theres no trafic to the site, :)...i was saying its a real good way to get more traffic to your site,...afterall the more places people see your name/myspace site, the more people will visit.:)

edit qqq got some cool filter funking!!!

YOU ARE NOT A PRETTY SNOWFLAKE

YOUR FASHION SUCKS>

Nadia is a twenty-something quaintrelle on an ongoing aesthetic adventure. This blog is dedicated to the cultivation of life's pleasures, passionate dressing and the search for personal style.

I used Google Wave a few days ago, and was utterly perplexed. I looked at it, and promptly thought, "Huh, this is what my grandparents must think when I show them the internet."