SD-103 X 21 oz. = New D1293 = Awesome!

Pauken4

I've been lusting for a pair of 21oz jeans for months. Until now choices have been Studio D'artisan D1177 which are very hard to come by and have SD-01 fit and Ironheart 634 and 634S.

From what I've read several SFer's have had trouble with fitting the D1177's, requiring sizing down two sizes for non-baggy fit. I've been hoping that a slim fit 21oz jean would someday come. It has.

The D1293 is 21oz selvedge in the SD-103 cut.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/cpoint/483286/1471967/

Being a 33" waist, reading the numbers at both C Point and Bears, and given that the D1177's required two sizes down , I figured that I would need a pair of 31's. When they arrived I was surpised to find that the actually were 31" ( 15.5") raw.

Next I ordered a pair of 33's which measured raw:

Waist 17

Front rise 11

Back rise 14

Thigh at cr 12

Knee 8.75

Bottom 8.75

Length 36

After a two hour soak here's what they did. The numbers in ()'s are my SD103's which were origially also size 33 one-wash and have been worn intermittantly for 6 months , no other wahses or soakes.

D1293 (SD103)

Waist 16.5 ( 16.75 )

Front rise 10.75 ( 10.5)

Back Rise 13.5 (13.5)

Thigh at cr 11.5 (12)

Knee 8.5 (8.75)

Bottom 8.5 (8.5)

Length 34.5 (hemmed )

They hit nearly a bull's eye, which is hard to believe given the differences in the denim! So, I'd say size them as you would your SD103's and you should be right on target. The 21oz denim with the Zimbabwe cotton is every bit as wonderful as everyone before me has reported. It feel soft and luxurious on your legs. You can't believe that they are that heavy, but not stiff.

These jeans are amazing, the fit and cut is great and should last forever! What else could anyone want!

P4

I haven't as of yet listed the 31's in the market, but with shrink and strech would be perfect for a 30.5" waist. I'll make them available at cost, if anyone is interested.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, significantly heavier, but not stiff. Not even the slightest bit like cardboard. Other have told the same story about the D1177's and Ironhearts but until you try a pair on you just can't believe that it is true.

The 15oz feel thin by comparison.

The 21oz ounce demin is just as amazing, and extreme as the Pure Blue denim, but for completely difference reason.

If you don't have a pair of 21oz in your collection , I'd now have to say that you are missing something.

They were too warm to wear outside yesterday in Boston in January. Oh yeah, it was 67 degrees outside yesterday. If global warming continues to be a problem, they might not be quite as useful.

i'll also have to add that these aren't your conventional color if they're basically the same fabric as the d1177's - not dark indigo as most of us are used to - but kind of a lighter greycast blue that changes a bit in the light. i really wanted to get a pair of d1177's for myself, but i had (and still have) too many jeans as it is.

and yeah they're not cardboardish at all, very silky actually... thought they were LH's for awhile.

are the measurements on the 103's on BiG to be trusted or are they as way off target as Bears..?

im a size 30 in Ande Whalls, so wondering about gettin' some 103's size 32, and then soaking them...

the lil white tab on the right side of the pocket is really quirky-----i love it. do all sda's have 'em positioned like that? very nice jeans, pauken.

yeah, that goes for em all i gues..

I tried these on at BIG and LOVED the feel of the denim on and told Gordon to hold a pair for me when the next shipment comes in, but I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on the weight and how much I could actually wear them. Anyone have experience with these weights in warmer weather? i.e. 75 to 85 F I'm thinking I might just get the standard 103 or a pair of the d-105. I got the D-1002 and the fit is the best I've ever had so I thought it would be interesting to see the different fade of the RHT vs the LHT.

are the measurements on the 103's on BiG to be trusted or are they as way off target as Bears..?

im a size 30 in Ande Whalls, so wondering about gettin' some 103's size 32, and then soaking them...

most sdas are tagged to size, when shrunk. for example, if it's tagged 30, then it'll come at around 32" actual size, but with a hot soak it's designed to shrink back to 30. then, it'll stretch about an inch as you wear it. i'm usually about a size 30 in most standard denim and my best fit in sdas is 29.

the lil white tab on the right side of the pocket is really quirky-----i love it. do all sda's have 'em positioned like that? very nice jeans, pauken.

my 003s come with a blue dot on the white tab. one of the details i really like about the sdas.

most sdas are tagged to size, when shrunk. for example, if it's tagged 30, then it'll come at around 32" actual size, but with a hot soak it's designed to shrink back to 30. then, it'll stretch about an inch as you wear it. i'm usually about a size 30 in most standard denim and my best fit in sdas is 29.

so, i'll go all in and order a pair of 29's.. then god help me... :)

Looks like the Japanese flag. Not sure why some are blue and some are red .. could be lht vs. rht.

no, you should get a 31-32 or something. you already know how big the jeans are, so work it out yourself.

are AWs tagged to size? i have no idea what it means to have a 30 in AWs. superstar, what's your actual waist size?

chicken - what about soccer? :(

yes! soccer. how did i miss that?

The color, as xcoldricex pointed out, changes with the light. The twill is coarser than other denim due the the thickness of both the warp and the weft. The yarn is just as dark as any other, but because there is more undyed thread visible, the overall color seems a bit lighter.

These pictures are borrowed from synthi's ebay sale of his D1177's are some of the best 21oz photo's around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52794&item=6855361151

Here are a few:

sda16.jpg

sda15.jpg

sda6.jpg

sda4.jpg

Like I said...amazing. I think they're just as exotic as PBJ or Oni denim, but in a totally different way. How could anyone not lust for a pair of these?

P4