what are you watching today?

red

couldn't fault it any any way:

that opening scene with radiohead (will sound clichéd, but inspired song choice) playing in the bg blew me away

both actresses were fantastic

cinematography amongst the best i've seen

and it's best to go into the film w/o knowing anything about the plot - but rest assured, it is fucking brilliant.

^^ I didnt like it. I'm actually hoping the Hollywood one follows the book closer.

Fuck, finally. The first person I've heard admit that this was absolute shit. I haven't read the books, but my more reliable/critical reading friends tell me they're pretty turd-like too.

Fuck, finally. The first person I've heard admit that this was absolute shit. I haven't read the books, but my more reliable/critical reading friends tell me they're pretty turd-like too.

The first one is great. The rest however, are pieces of shit.

"Absolute shit," you don't think you're overstating? I could understand if you have a consistency issue with the film matching up with the book, but you haven't (nor have I) read the material. Although, I have heard the books are shit as well, that's another story. If you could go into more detail, I'd appreciate it, I'm game for discussion.

this is unfair. that movie was not absolute shit - it's no masterpiece but it does justice to the book

and the books are fucking great. i mean sure they're basically da vinci code-esque in terms of popularity at this point but it doesn't change the fact that they're engrossing, if not astoundingly brilliant, pieces of crime literature. plus they sparked my interest in swedish authors and without them i never would have read anything by henning mankell, who is fucking incredible

OK, so maybe I was a little harsh. This is internet, its primary currency is unfounded opinion. The movie was not "absolute shit". I just judged it harshly cos I heard so many people gushing over it and, after viewing, I felt that it was comparable to a mediocre Hollywood thriller. Not shit, but far from amazing or even original. Predictable as fuck and just kinda boring to watch.

The books on the other hand... Can't judge too harshly because I have not read any of them but, aside from obv hype-beasting, I heard they were just poorly written and filled with tedious descriptions of consumer goods. My buddy said it was like reading a crime thriller interlaced with pages from an Apple catalogue.

Don't get too defensive over a dead pulp author. This is a film thread, and these are merely my opinions, based on a book I have no first-hand experience of... Creep me in the lit threads if you want to discuss books.

edit: sean_ -- were you the guy going to Sweden to study writing? I vaguely recall this discussion coming up previously in a book thread.

i need to watch the following

Valley Girl

This is England

Blue Velvet

Jacob's Ladder

Cruising

The Devils

not sure what to start with tho

edit: plus i havent been able to find links for Cruising anywhere,,,,,,,,,,,

start with Blue Velvet and and i'll pm you a link big guy!