what are you watching today?

red

Saw a print of this last night. I thought it was great. Roeg really has an ability to make the United States feel like the most foreign place ever. I've only seen this and Walkabout but I think he's a pretty solid director with a unique style. This kind of reminded me of Alphaville. Gotta say, Bowie is awesome.

The Man Who Fell to Earth, 1976:

ManWhoFellToEarth_GBQ.jpg

Saw a print of this last night. I thought it was great. Roeg really has an ability to make the United States feel like the most foreign place ever. I've only seen this and Walkabout but I think he's a pretty solid director with a unique style. This kind of reminded me of Alphaville. Gotta say, Bowie is awesome.

The Man Who Fell to Earth, 1976:

ManWhoFellToEarth_GBQ.jpg

been trying to catch this and dial m for murder at the film forum... argh TIME!

Screenshot2011-06-27at111716PM.png

Haha...this movie is just horrible is so many ways. I have to watch it when it is on though just to see the scene where they play hockey with that giant diamond. Silverstone is...theeeee worst actress ever put on a screen, it's just painful to watch

I know that film is horrible but I actually am obsessed with Schumacher. There's something so fascinating...like, I almost want to do an auteur study of him. I know it makes no sense, but his films are just so interesting (even in their terribleness).

On a completely different note, I saw this on the big screen today. Holy shit, this was so good. Seriously, it's as close to a perfect narrative as you're going to get. Everything just works and each scene progresses the film along. Not to mention how cool the film looks. I really like how they designed the city: it's like a Mad Men version of Metropolis.

MoMA is playing all the Pixar films so people with time should go.

The Incredibles, 2004:

518050.1020.A.jpg

suspiria-poster.jpg

Unfortunately, didn't find this very good. Kinda reminds me of the Nicholas Roeg movies I've seen (same ones as you, weinfeld). They have great concepts, reasonably good stories, look super nice and everything else but still manage to miss the mark somehow. The search for the perfect horror movie continues - gonna try Eyes Without a Face next.

okonomi, Eyes Without a Face is hands-down one of my favorite horror films. It really engages on so many levels: film stock and lighting; narrative; costuming. I think you'll enjoy it.

Just finished watching this today. The two Weerasethaku films I've seen seem to be less about narrative and more about evoking a time and a place in order to create rhythm. I know that sounds weird but that's the best way I can describe it -- his films have a flowing quality to them that make them more "real" than even neo-realism at times. I'm a big fan.

Syndromes and a Century, 2006:

600full-syndromes-and-a-century-poster.jpg