leica cameras

steven

old ass company from the early 1900's, I think the Leica camera was the first to use 35mm film. I dont know personally, but they are considered to be very good, and older models are very sought after.

they've recently made atleast one new digital SLR which is expensive as hell, I think its largely based on some panasonic model and apparently the digis are pretty much made by panasonic.

While researching DSLRs, obviously Leica came up every now and then. I wonder, whats the cost basis for the almost 10x higher price on a 10mpg camera from Leica vs other manufacturers?

I use a Leica microscope at work, best lens you can buy ($250 000 microscope) so I assume its based on similar reasoning. But if Panasonic is responsible for making the Lecia digis and uses their lenses, what are they skimping on to make their cameras affordable? Just name?

I have a Leica Digilux 2, and it uses Leica optics. When I bought my camera it was the only digital option Leica offered, but they've recently introduced a bunch of other digital cameras, including the hyper-expensive M8. If you want a less-expensive digital Leica, you can buy a Panasonic Lumix, which uses the same optics encased in a less sleek, less retro-styled body, for half the price. I get amazing results with my camera, but my biggest complaint is that there's frequently shutter lag, which can be frustrating.

Hi! Sorry I didn’t see this post. I don’t come into this forum very often. There are many sources to learn about Leica cameras and optics. It would be hard to give an entire summary in one posting. In addition to the sources offered above (which are excellent sources, BTW), there are two large forum dedicated to Leica cameras and to rangefinders.

There are huge battles in the digital versus film debates. Leica has very sophisticated, but expensive entries into the digital realm. Professional feedback is good. Forget about the consumer Panasonic-related line. These are license deals, but are not made by Leica.

In the film world, Leica ruled in the old world, but lost ground in the SLR dominated recent age. Basically, Leicas are crafted mechanical machines for making photographs. Sorta like a Rolex is to a Timex. If you like craftsmanship, then you might like these. If you want point-&-shoot, save your money and go elsewhere. Different horses… yadda, yadda.

The www.photo.net has a Leica forum. This group want you to do some searching before posting newbie questions. It has a ton of info in the archives. If you post a question that sounds like you’ve done the basic groundwork, the expertise there is phenomenal.

The www.rangefinderforum.com has a Leica sub-forum, as well as others dedicated to different rangefinder cameras, both film and digital. This is a crowd that is more friendly to newbies. It, too, has tons of info on cameras, optics and their respective virtues. Lots of nice folks who like to show off photos and talk gear.

Hope this is useful.

Leicas were the kings of the 35mm world as Hasselblads were the kings of the medium format world and its all about the glass.

I have yet to see a inkjet gray scale image come anywhere near a beautifully printed silver gelatin print. The world of color is a different story. I can do things in photoshop I could never do in the color darkroom and the inkjet color print are in my opinion just as good as any color process with dye transfer being maybe the one exception.

Hi! Sorry I didn’t see this post. I don’t come into this forum very often. There are many sources to learn about Leica cameras and optics. It would be hard to give an entire summary in one posting. In addition to the sources offered above (which are excellent sources, BTW), there are two large forum dedicated to Leica cameras and to rangefinders.

There are huge battles in the digital versus film debates. Leica has very sophisticated, but expensive entries into the digital realm. Professional feedback is good. Forget about the consumer Panasonic-related line. These are license deals, but are not made by Leica.

In the film world, Leica ruled in the old world, but lost ground in the SLR dominated recent age. Basically, Leicas are crafted mechanical machines for making photographs. Sorta like a Rolex is to a Timex. If you like craftsmanship, then you might like these. If you want point-&-shoot, save your money and go elsewhere. Different horses… yadda, yadda.

The www.photo.net has a Leica forum. This group want you to do some searching before posting newbie questions. It has a ton of info in the archives. If you post a question that sounds like you’ve done the basic groundwork, the expertise there is phenomenal.

The www.rangefinderforum.com has a Leica sub-forum, as well as others dedicated to different rangefinder cameras, both film and digital. This is a crowd that is more friendly to newbies. It, too, has tons of info on cameras, optics and their respective virtues. Lots of nice folks who like to show off photos and talk gear.

Hope this is useful.

AFAIK, the panasonic lumix models are exact counterparts of the leica models, except for the differing casings. I believe the difference in price is $100-200.

• 4 years later...

A Leica M4 somehow dropped into my lap thanks to providence and awesome friends. Does anybody have any experience with dealing with parallax issues on an M4? I think it has to do with the lens configuration, which has a screw > bayonet adapter, making parallax focusing difficult.

Man the pics you can take w/ Leica glass! Cot damn beautiful!

I came close to buying a M9 this year but then I came to my senses...I couldn't justfiy spending $10k+ for a camera (body and lens). Maybe if i didn't have other things to pay for (car note, insurance, mortgage, school loans, etc) then maybe just maybe....

Granted my 5d is heavier and "louder" but it serves it's purpose...

My dad has a Leica M5 sitting on a shelf. It has some cosmetic damage to it and I think the lens is fucked because of fungus growing inside of it or something like that. One day though, i'd like to get it all fixed up and repaired, with a new lens.

My dad has a Leica M5 sitting on a shelf. It has some cosmetic damage to it and I think the lens is fucked because of fungus growing inside of it or something like that. One day though, i'd like to get it all fixed up and repaired, with a new lens.

lube it or lose it. also nobody seems to be able to help me .:( :confused:

lube it or lose it. also nobody seems to be able to help me .:( :confused:

Do you mean the rangefinder is off (focus is incorrect) or off vertical (bright spot is above/ below producing double image but vertically), or parallax (rangefinder focuses correctly at points but drifts out at extremes or one end of the focus?

• 4 weeks later...
A Leica M4 somehow dropped into my lap thanks to providence and awesome friends. Does anybody have any experience with dealing with parallax issues on an M4? I think it has to do with the lens configuration, which has a screw > bayonet adapter, making parallax focusing difficult.

What do you mean by parallax issues? Screw-M adapter shouldn't affect anything; but rangefinder focusing does take some getting used to. Parallax error refers to the fact that what you see in the viewfinder is not exactly what the lens sees; the RF frame should move to compensate.

In any case, the straight M4 is probably the finest mechanical Leica, even if there is a problem it's worth fixing.

What do you mean by parallax issues? Screw-M adapter shouldn't affect anything; but rangefinder focusing does take some getting used to. Parallax error refers to the fact that what you see in the viewfinder is not exactly what the lens sees; the RF frame should move to compensate.

In any case, the straight M4 is probably the finest mechanical Leica, even if there is a problem it's worth fixing.

Many years ago I had a voigtlander screw>m adapter that allowed me to focus past infinity (to infinity... and beyond...;)), so seems like the screw> M adapter could have an effect? But Paul is totally right. M4 is a solid camera, and worth fixing.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Leica is teaming up with Paul Smith to produce "Leica Paul Smith X2" The camera will cost about £2,000 when it hits the UK in October, available from the Leica store in Mayfair. It's limited to 1500 examples.

leica-x2-edition-camera-paul-smith-1-620x413.jpg

leica-x2-edition-camera-paul-smith-2-620x413.jpg

leica-x2-edition-camera-paul-smith-3-620x413.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

^ late, but that's a beautiful combo airfrog. i've been itching for a new camera lately and i keep trying to talk myself out of the monochrome and into the a7r + mount.

i'm trying to talk myself out of selling my d800 and buying the a7r.