Digital SLRs?

nairb49

tumblr_lcw76yRJK21qbmv0yo1_500.jpg

Looks digital and photoshoped, but it is taken with a 1940s yashica mat TLR, 120film, 160 speed.

Doesn't matter what camera you use, only the shot matters.

Unless you really screw up with apertures and lighting.

I suggest get a cheap analogue camera and go from there, good luck.

i highly recommend a Sony NEX5 - it has an APS-C sensor, is small enough to carry around with you, and can use many many lenses on it!

686544177C9043EE94D452D19D2BC92C.jpg

i've found it to be the perfect balance between DSLR (too big - I never carried it around) and P&S (much better image quality with the big sensor and various lenses).

^ I second the last few comments.

I owned a 40D for a year and took it out five time, if that. sold it for a m43 system and never looked back.

what's the point of having a great camera if it's never there for the shot?

also, i love to shoot people... hold a big honking dslr in front of your face and it makes people instantly shy away while a smaller camera isn't as intimidating.

i recommend the GF1 + 20mm f/1.7 kit that I've been using.

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on ordering a T2i tonight but after playing with a friend of mine's 5DII now I really want something a little more serious. Im not really trying to spend more than $1,000. What do you guys think of these options?

Option #1 Canon 60D Package - $1000.00

- Canon 60D Body - $900.00

- Canon 50mm 1.8 - $100

Option #2 Canon T2i Package I - $1000.00

- Canon T2i Body - $700

- Canon 35mm 2.0 - $300.00

Option #3 Canon T2i Package II - $1,000.00

- Canon T2i Body - $700

- Canon BG-E8 Battery Grip - $150.00

- Canon LP-E8 Battery - $50.00

- Canon 50mm 1.8 $100.00

I already have an old 18-55mm kit lens too. I'm leaning towards the 60D. Any suggestions? :confused:

amazon has a good deal right now

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/43959/amazon.com-canon-rebel-t2i-18mp-digital-slr-camera-1855mm-55250mm-is-lenses-tiffen-58mm-uv-filter

Amazon has Canon Rebel T2i 18MP Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm IS Lens + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens + 58mm Tiffen UV Protection Filter for $753 after adding all products to cart and applying coupon codes MYBGIXJF & 4EXZTAMU with free shipping.

Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer is also available for $48.99 after a $400 rebate. Be sure that all components are purchased on the same receipt and from Amazon.com store.

i have been collecting vintage nikkor glass, and the old ai lenses do not meter with my d40.

just got an amazingly sharp 180mm 2.8 ED [crops to 270mm] and was offered a 28mm 2.0 ED which would be sharper and a better walk around than my 35mm 2.0.

thinking it is time to upgrade my body to a d7000 so i at least get metering. the old nikkor glass is cheap and amazing if you can deal with manual focus

i have been collecting vintage nikkor glass, and the old ai lenses do not meter with my d40.

just got an amazingly sharp 180mm 2.8 ED [crops to 270mm] and was offered a 28mm 2.0 ED which would be sharper and a better walk around than my 35mm 2.0.

thinking it is time to upgrade my body to a d7000 so i at least get metering. the old nikkor glass is cheap and amazing if you can deal with manual focus

I love my nikkor 50mm 1.2 AIS

4888556213_fdee5d5d30_z.jpg

These days i pretty much only use it on film camera though.

thanks to this thread's help, i got a nikkor 35mm f/1.8 two months ago, and i love it

i'm thinking of getting the 50mm f/1.8 (yes, i know it won't AF on my d40), but i've heard that manual focus isn't so bad

cop/not?

No, that lens sucks. Get the 50mm 1.4g. It will auto focus on your d40 and its just a better overall lens. Some portraits ive taken with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/4773279357/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/4773918890/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/5044476171/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/5045095068

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/4962191677/

been debating this for along time, let's see what you guys have to say

canon 60d or 7d?

What camera do you have now? Id go for the 7d, it has an older sensor but is more professional and most likely has better features and a more powerful processor (faster af, higher fps, ect).

50mm for portraits?

need the 85mm.

the 50mm crops out to 75mm which is a resonable length for portraits if you are not afraid to get close to the subject. i have both a 50mm and a 85 mm and have used both for portraits with some success.

No, that lens sucks. Get the 50mm 1.4g. It will auto focus on your d40 and its just a better overall lens. Some portraits ive taken with it.

what basis do you have that the 1.4 is a better lens. i know it is faster and will autofocus.

every comparison of the two lenses that i have seen say the optics are almost exact. except that the 1.4 shows greater barrel distortion, and more chromatic aberration.

f 1.4 at 50mm is not useful for portraits given the incredibly small focal plane with nikon's 1.4 crop you would be talking around 5 cm of usable DOF at 1.5m from the subject. i don't know anyone who has a head less than 5cm deep.

neither lens is going to be useful for what he wants it for until around f 2.8 at which point both lenses test are very close in sharpness. and at 3.5 there is no obvious difference.

i'm thinking of getting the 50mm f/1.8 (yes, i know it won't AF on my d40), but i've heard that manual focus isn't so bad

cop/not?

i have the 1.8 and a d40 it is an nicely sharp lens, as far as manual focus use, it is not as nice as the earlier nikkor manual focus lenses [as it is designed for af] however it is doable. watch with the small viewfinder of the d40 that you don't give yourself eyestrain using manual focus

neither lens is going to be useful for what he wants it for until around f 2.8 at which point both lenses test are very close in sharpness. and at 3.5 there is no obvious difference.

This.

The difference between 1.4 and 1.8 is minuscule, especially if you are shooting on a Cropped Body DSLR, (ISO performance obviously). I Use a Mamiya 7II regularly with the 80mm f/4 lens. I Seldom need anything Larger than f/5.6.

But the point is, get the 1.8, you'll only be shooting wide open around 10% of the time.

And the 1.4 and 1.8 have IDENTICAL Optics. It would be a different story if you were comparing a Zeiss 50mm and A Nikon, but even then it takes a Pro eye to spot the difference.

Don't catch Golf Club syndrome in photography, like 90% of these guys.

Just go shoot.

koven, i shot with a 40d and i'm leaning more towards the 7d for those reasons. i've had the chance to test both of them out, but i'm having trouble deciding, which leads to nostalgic being right.

these questions are pointless since it really depends on personal preference, but i'm just trying to get some opinions.

and wouldn't lens be more important "depending on what i use it for"?

on a side note, i agree with you, 85mm 1.8 (canon, not sure about nikkor) for portrait = winwin

I mean with the lens, yeah i guess that is correct. But i am guessing you are a casual photographer, using it more so in the day time, and if it is being used at Night using flash, I'm sure the 60D is sufficient with a 50mm 1.8, Save the money and buy a nice tripod. I feel like "Photographers" nowadays never use Long exposures, unless it is some HDR bullshit or another. But this is turning into a rant slowly. The 1.8 will suffice, save the money and buy a nice pair of sneakers.

cheers

koven, i shot with a 40d and i'm leaning more towards the 7d for those reasons. i've had the chance to test both of them out, but i'm having trouble deciding, which leads to nostalgic being right.

What about the 40D did you not like? and what trouble do you have about deciding between the 7D and the 60D? because the 60D would most likely provide you all the features you would need in a dslr and would save you around $500....

the 40D was fine, it just didn't have video and i've had mine for a bit over 2 years now, i want to upgrade.. for me, the price difference is lower, i guess that's why i'm having a little bit of a hard time

i'm going to have both these cameras in my hands tomorrow, should be able to finally reach a decision then lol