Digital SLRs?

nairb49

cropped sensor are often suggested to those who shoot sport, because of the added range you'll get from your lenses, since you're usually far from the action. full frame is important for high isos, but the 7d performs really well there so you don't really need to go full frame. the 7d would be better than the old 5d, but the 5d mkII, if you can afford it, is the best canon camera around.

wow, had like a summer party and i took my canon 1000D and noticed this guy had a conon also but with a fucking huge lens, we got talking and he let me try it out he sarted talking camera shit and i got a bit lost as im still new to this.

found it and im pretty sure it was this

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L

he was shooting on a 30D

i googled that lens and its £1000!!! i need to see this guy again lmao

i asked if he had a macro lens and repyled with "a couple" need to see this guy again haha

looked like this

Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-28-L-USM-Lens-1.jpg

were you intimidated by the size of his... lens shade?

i really need to update my gear as i'm finally kickstarting the photo career. i mean, i can do work with my 10D and 18-50mm sigma lens, and make great images, but it has serious limitations, some of which add a ton of time to post production, and if i'm doing this professional i need/want every advantage in image quality i can get.

problem is i need full frame and therefore would have to completely reset my lens collection. i'd rather go nikon but that's way more expensive. i might just end up getting an old 5D as a place holder to tide me over. main thing is the glass.

i know this isn't a digital slr post.. but it's an slr post no less. i just got a canon eos rebel 2000 (for <$15!! sooo stoked) and don't know exactly what kind of lenses i can use on it.. i would think that any ef lenses would work, but i'm really not sure. any help sufu? thanks in advance.

@aleopold yeah you can use any ef lenses, but no ef-s ones.

so on the lenses, if it's got a red circle on it near the mount, you can use it. white square, no go.

the reason is, ef-s isn't for full-frame cameras. so if you got a 5d (full frame dslr), it'd be the same thing.

does anyone have any experience with the voigtlander ultron 40mm f/2 lens? (http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/263-voigtlander-ultron-40mm-f2-ii-nikon-mount-review--test-report) - i'm thinking about that or maybe a 50mm f/1.4

Or just getting the new d7000 whenever it actually gets announced

Anyone know of any good backpacks besides the Tenbas mentioned above? I has me a T1i, EF-S 17-55, EF-S 10-22, EF 28-135 and Speedlite 430EX II that all needs to be stored.

I use a lowe pro bag that i use when traveling with all my stuff, haven't had a problem with it and they're relatively inexpensive. Check them out.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're not already with canon, maybe wait and see if a d7000 would work for you. Hell of a camera for 600 bucks less

yea, the specs on it does look very nice. but i've already invested in canon glass. the only feature i like on the nikon more is AF for video, but we don't even know how good it really is. All the other specs are pretty identical.... Do you know which would shoot better in low light, no flash conditions? That is what I mainly shoot.

I have about $1500 I can use for a new DSLR setup but know very little about it. There are so many different cameras out there, I have no clue what will really be the best bang for my buck.

What would you buy if you had $1500 to spend and wanted to get started with a good DSLR setup?

half of people will suggest a Canon setup, the other half Nikon. both will do the job just fine, its pretty much just personal preference.

my suggestion is a Canon 550D (rebel T2i or whatever the ridicilous US names are) + Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS. prices are around $500 + $1000 respectively, if you want to save a few bucks you should be able to find either one used easily.

can't go wrong with the camera, and the 17-55 is imo the best all around lense there is, particularly if you value the ability to shoot inside and in lower light conditions. this is the setup I use and it leaves little use to my other lenses.

gotta agree with mikelowrey, you can't go wrong with a rebel as ur first cam. they pretty small, light, and can use any of the canon lenses. shoot with the kit lens and then figure out what you shoot most and get the lens that suits you best later on.

I would suggest a used Rebel T1i (500D). You can find a body for about $500, sold mine yesterday. I've had the XTi(400D) which was a great starter cam, then the XSi(450D) which is just a little better than the XTi but not by much imo, and then the T1i which is exponentially better than both. It handles exposure well and can produce sharp images even with a midrange lens like the 28-135 IS USM. I can show you some pics from each cam with the same lens although it won't be a pure side by side comparison. And another plus is its video capability which can be pretty neat. But as baldy said, shoot around with the stock lens if you buy the kit and figure out what you'll be shooting the most to find the proper lens to suit your needs.

If you think you're going to be shooting a lot of video, then you might want to consider the T2i (550D). If not, the T1i should be more than enough.

Sold my Rebel to get this :)

tumblr_l9lp22BDop1qde2lro1_500.jpg

I have about $1500 I can use for a new DSLR setup but know very little about it. There are so many different cameras out there, I have no clue what will really be the best bang for my buck.

What would you buy if you had $1500 to spend and wanted to get started with a good DSLR setup?

a used/refurbished 5D + 50mm 1.4

I'm using a Olympus EP-2 now, was using a 400D before. Should I stay or go with a 7D. My only comparison between the two is their sizes. While my EP-2 can fit in some of my pants front pocket, I will need a strap/bag to carry a 7D.

Any thoughts on this?

half of people will suggest a Canon setup, the other half Nikon. both will do the job just fine, its pretty much just personal preference.

my suggestion is a Canon 550D (rebel T2i or whatever the ridicilous US names are) + Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS. prices are around $500 + $1000 respectively, if you want to save a few bucks you should be able to find either one used easily.

can't go wrong with the camera, and the 17-55 is imo the best all around lense there is, particularly if you value the ability to shoot inside and in lower light conditions. this is the setup I use and it leaves little use to my other lenses.

I originally was looking at the Nikon D90. After doing a little research though, the T2i sounds like it's a no brainer. 18 mgp compared to 12 and the D90 doesn't do HD video.

Is there any reason why the d90 might perform better?