Digital SLRs?

nairb49

no, just regarding international warranty, it's sometimes kinda tricky, but you always find you way out anyway.

but if i were you, i'd check on photography-on-the.net forum, there are sometimes tamron 17-50 popping up for like $360 or something, at least you won't pay taxes and stuff (i paid a lot last time i orderred from digital rev), and you get a lens from a careful photograper... most of the times.

ex: 2 days ago: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=543374

310 shipped is a hella fine price !

correct me guys if i'm wrong, but i don't think the fact that a lens is used has to do with sharpness. for example, my grand father has some like 50 yo lenses, and they are as sharp as they had to be at that time.

it happens sometime to buy a copy that isn't as sharp as it should be. i heard a lot of this about sigma lenses, but it can happen on every brand, even Canon L lenses (though still being sharp, fortunately).

I know hardly anything about dslr's but I was given a nikon d70 a little while ago and still don't know hardly anything about how to use it. Didn't come with a user manual, but does anybody know of a good place to start? Shit to read? Good basic lenses to buy? I have an 18-70mm but really have literally no clue where to begin. Sorry for being camera newb :(

I know hardly anything about dslr's but I was given a nikon d70 a little while ago and still don't know hardly anything about how to use it. Didn't come with a user manual, but does anybody know of a good place to start? Shit to read? Good basic lenses to buy? I have an 18-70mm but really have literally no clue where to begin. Sorry for being camera newb :(

D70 + 18-70mm is a good beginner setup, add another 50mm f/1.8 (cheap) lens into it, you can cover portraits too.

Maybe you can try http://photo.net/ for a start, or http://www.flickr.com/ photography discussion groups.

Bleh. Thinking about switching over to Nikon... at least for my backup gear. Then I'll see about going mainly Nikon. Anyone possibly interested in buying my backup stuff?

Canon 20D (~4500 actuations) w/ 18-55 kit lens

and I'll throw in my f/1.4 50mm prime if someone isn't going to just haggle/low ball me on price...

The camera and lenses are in very, very good to mint condition. I'm up for offers, but then again, I don't NEED to sell these over SuFu... or at all.

In other news, it looks like Canon is a little late to return a punch after the Nikon D700 eh? Usually the two companies are like Pepsi and Coke... i.e., new Pepsi with lime! One week later, new Coke with lime! Yeah.

While to a certain extent there are right and wrong ways to hold your camera, at the end of the day its really just about whats most comfortable for you and what gives you the greatest amount of control over your shooting.

exactly exactly

I got two questions I hope you guys are willing to answer:

1. What's a good program to browse my raw images with, directly from my camera? When I open up the folder on my camera's memorycard, rightclick and choose 'open with photoshop'; it takes ages to browse the pictures. I need to open them one by one.

2. How do I remove dust from my lens? I already bought a UV-filter, because I was too worried about getting dust on my lens itself, but I notice that when I take pictures when it's windy, I get a lot of dust on my lens. Do you always carry those dustcloths for camera lenses with you?

I got two questions I hope you guys are willing to answer:

1. What's a good program to browse my raw images with, directly from my camera? When I open up the folder on my camera's memorycard, rightclick and choose 'open with photoshop'; it takes ages to browse the pictures. I need to open them one by one.

2. How do I remove dust from my lens? I already bought a UV-filter, because I was too worried about getting dust on my lens itself, but I notice that when I take pictures when it's windy, I get a lot of dust on my lens. Do you always carry those dustcloths for camera lenses with you?

1. I use Lightroom, and I think a lot of people use it too. Its less functional in terms of "creative" tools than Photoshop, but it is more geared towards Photography. Its best quality is that it is a great tool to catalogue thousands of images and it is usually a part of every photographer's workflow. I spend 95% of my time in it, and now that LR2 is out, theres even more new features that will probably mean I can use CS3 less (though, I haven't tried it yet).

2. The best way, and the safest is to use a handblower and a brush to get the dust off. You can usually buy these kits at your local store and if it doesn't remove the dust, you COULD try a lenspen (read on how to use it first) or possibly a cloth. You also need to determine if the dust is on the inside or not (of your front element, not the filter), and if it is, I would send it in to get it removed assuming you are shooting with expensive glass... Otherwise, it might not be worth the cost.

1. I use Lightroom, and I think a lot of people use it too. Its less functional in terms of "creative" tools than Photoshop, but it is more geared towards Photography. Its best quality is that it is a great tool to catalogue thousands of images and it is usually a part of every photographer's workflow. I spend 95% of my time in it, and now that LR2 is out, theres even more new features that will probably mean I can use CS3 less (though, I haven't tried it yet).

2. The best way, and the safest is to use a handblower and a brush to get the dust off. You can usually buy these kits at your local store and if it doesn't remove the dust, you COULD try a lenspen (read on how to use it first) or possibly a cloth. You also need to determine if the dust is on the inside or not (of your front element, not the filter), and if it is, I would send it in to get it removed assuming you are shooting with expensive glass... Otherwise, it might not be worth the cost.

I don't mind having lesser tools, since I really dislike to use any. I like my pictures to be as they come on my camera. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! Right now, I'm just using a 18-55mm kitlens. I already removed the dust on the inside (and the element) the other day, when I bought my filter. I'm more talking about the dust that gets on my filter while shooting. I usually just blow it off, but sometimes this doesn't work as well.

^ In that case, you should purchase a hood. There are debates all over whether a hood is all you need to protect your lens or not. Some people say it is perfect for everywhere EXCEPT near water, but some people want to have the extra safety of having their front element covered as well.

Whether purchasing a hood for the kit lens is a good investment is a different issue, however. It may not be compatible with any lenses you are going to purchase in the future so that is something to consider.