Digital SLRs?

nairb49

um...how about you do some research for youself and ask a more narrowed down question

but if you have no clue, look into nikon d40 and canon XTI

asking a question is research no? and your suggestion narrowed it down. thanks and take your thumb out of your ass.

No really, you could have searched before asking the question. What's the use of having "the world at your fingertips" (AKA the internetz) if you're too lazy to search something? Sheesh.

That said, what do you want? A new or used camera? A casual, easy-to-use camera or a pro camera? A camera just to get your feet wet or one to keep for years? These questions will open the gates to models ranging from:

Nikon D40

Nikon D60

Nikon D80

Nikon D100 (used)

Canon Rebel XTi

Canon Rebel XSi

Canon 20D/30D (used)

blah blah blah.

I am your friend.

whats the difference between the Nikor 50mm f/1.8 D, 50mm f/1.4 D AF, and 50mm 1.2 D lenses besides the obvious F-stop. i'm not sure if I labeled them all correctly, but why does the 1.2 cost 200 bucks more than the 1.8?

to start off, the 1.2 is not AF i believe...

but the diference is construction as well as the apperture.

from the nikon catalogue:

50mm 1.4 is made with 7 elements, 1.8 is made with 6 elements.

i've had both and both are great lenss. 1.8 for the price is amazing, but alittle soft. which is why i went with the 1.4, much sharper, color looks nicer. 1.4 feels much sturdier, 1.8 feels prety plasticy and very light...feels cheap

the d70s is basically ancient.

you can get a d40x for the same price, or a d40 for about a hundred bucks less. if you're going to print 13x19s, the d40x is worth the difference. otherwise, it'll just fill up your cards and hard drives faster.

make sure to get the new kit lens with vr (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6).

to use the non afs lenses, because it's a bit bigger, 3 more focus point, have a top lcd, and lots of other little features the d40 doesn't have. the d40 is an entry level dslr, but when trying it, though only having a canon xti, i was shocked by the d40. i found it too much newcomer orientated, with big icons, big fonts, nice GUI, and at the final, few options. i don't consider the d40 as a real dslr, and it looks made for people willing to only use the kit lens. no hate for this camera or their owners, but i'd take the d70 everyday, for it's expansion capacities and possibilities, and because it's a real dslr, though not so young.

my 2 cents

eh, you lose a cm off the grip, top lcd display, and ability to focus screw drive lenses (not especially important for an entry-level camera, and screw drive lenses are being replaced by af-s anyway). but with the d40 you get a smaller camera, a big rear screen, slightly higher viewfinder magnification, and a bunch of incremental improvements (especially in processing speed, buffer, etc.).

to use the non afs lenses, because it's a bit bigger, 3 more focus point, have a top lcd, and lots of other little features the d40 doesn't have. the d40 is an entry level dslr, but when trying it, though only having a canon xti, i was shocked by the d40. i found it too much newcomer orientated, with big icons, big fonts, nice GUI, and at the final, few options. i don't consider the d40 as a real dslr, and it looks made for people willing to only use the kit lens. no hate for this camera or their owners, but i'd take the d70 everyday, for it's expansion capacities and possibilities, and because it's a real dslr, though not so young.

my 2 cents

he speaks the truth.

eh, you lose a cm off the grip, top lcd display, and ability to focus screw drive lenses (not especially important for an entry-level camera, and screw drive lenses are being replaced by af-s anyway). but with the d40 you get a smaller camera, a big rear screen, slightly higher viewfinder magnification, and a bunch of incremental improvements (especially in processing speed, buffer, etc.).

hum... what you enuciated at the beggining <<<< what you enunciated at the end. I mean, do you want to take pictures with affordables lenses and having a conveniant top lcd, or have a ... eeek... slightly better viewfinder ? common ...

indeed, there's af-s lenses, but they're very expensive, and sometimes not worth some non-afs. and there's no way for you to ever use the Tamron or Tokina's lenses.

hum... what you enuciated at the beggining <<<< what you enunciated at the end. I mean, do you want to take pictures with affordables lenses and having a conveniant top lcd, or have a ... eeek... slightly better viewfinder ? common ...

indeed, there's af-s lenses, but they're very expensive, and sometimes not worth some non-afs. and there's no way for you to ever use the Tamron or Tokina's lenses.

check b&h for prices of af-s lenses. prices range from low to high. all dx lenses are af-s, so as far as screw drive goes, we're talking legacy 35mm and third party lenses. in this case, i'm willing to bet that's immaterial.

when we get more into "having fun with a bunch of spiffy lenses" territory, i'll break out the "buy a pentax" recommendation.

Ancient =/= bad

especially when comparing D70 with D40. I'd take the D70 over the D40 personnaly...

its a toss up. i believe the d40 has a newer (not necssarily better) sensor which may or may not be bettter...i havent tested them out myself. if you're a beginner, id personaly just go with the D40. you won't find anything really holding you back about the D40. i would imagine the time before you would want to upgrade on both d40 and d70 would be similar...i say go with d40.

Hi,

I need some help please :)

I got the nikon d40 and i am a complete noob. I want to buy a nice flash so do you recommend the 600 or the 800? And I also want to buy tele lens. Any advice?

Thank you so much :)

if you are a complete noob, i would suggest against getting a flash as you won't be using it much, i see alot of noobs getting a flash cuz it seems like a cool thing to get. as for tele lens, i would imagine you arent looking fo ranything too expensive...if thats the case, just get the 55-200 VR or the 70-300 (?) i think? both should be relatively cheap/

Quick question for D80 users. I'm shooting with the 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens. I'm using M mode and know how to adjust the aperture and shutter speed. Is it somehow possible to lock in the aperture at one setting and still use the available zoom or do I have to stay at 18mm to stay at f/3.5? I've been trying to figure it out, but haven't had much success yet. Thanks.

depends what your looking for, i think personally feel that image stablization is pretty important on a longer focal length like (105) it really helps. but it doesnt stop motion, that's were the 2.8 F-stop would help a little. but both of these lenses are more outdoor lenses, i think. So if you feel that you like to shoot more indoor stuff you might want to look at a fast prime or consider using a flash, then either lens is the same.

IQ wise both are very sharp, color tones are really great ( i've had a chance to try both with my 40d) and both are a great walk around lenses. Although i heard there were some focusing issues with the 24-70L

im far from an expert. you should try different places for reviews

24-70L

24-105L

Quick question for D80 users. I'm shooting with the 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens. I'm using M mode and know how to adjust the aperture and shutter speed. Is it somehow possible to lock in the aperture at one setting and still use the available zoom or do I have to stay at 18mm to stay at f/3.5? I've been trying to figure it out, but haven't had much success yet. Thanks.

can't do it... the minimum aperture depends on the focal length. the min will get smaller and smaller the longer the focal length is - i guess 135mm is 5.6