Selvage doesnt means anything anymore.

houston

I was at the Mall last night... A Dallas mall... where 6 months ago you couldnt find anything without a hollywood wash out. Now GAP has selvage... I would bitch, but they are actually not too shab.

But.. Macy's has a whack, junior like section, for "young men" and they have some silly selvage jeans, made in Mexico. Comes with some silly tag explaining the selvage history and a price tag of 60$ or so. The jeans do that whack crap where they leave the selvage as the seam of one of the back pockets. Anyhow.. it has officially caught on.

I am far from "elite" with fashion or denim, but its sad when too much of a good thing turns rotten.

Selvage used to mean something.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i doubt people are going to care. its not like people go out to the club to inspect each other's jeans to see if they're selvage or not. the people that know about it are the ones that care. other than that, it's not going to change anything. like someone said before, it's not like it's going to replace japanese denim ever. it's like sayin "o god, there's cars everywhere. cars are ruined" when a benz is still a benz.

it's all about how it looks, said and done. sure everyone can use any material, heck with enough money our shirts could be made of gold thread and bedazzled with diamonds, but it still wouldn't make it up and down..

quality will always be quality, and looking good should always be #1, above and beyond what everyone else is doing. be true to yourself.

Ok, im prob the person least interested in denim on this site but it irritates me to see this bc Im a purist and I hate seeing good things that are truly appreciated by some become debased through becoming popularized by/for the mass market. It cheapens an experience that used to be fulfilling (not saying denim entirely fits the bill here, IM talking about the process) so its ok to be pissed off by this. It will really get to me when Common and Madonna start rapping about selvedge with Fergie (who looks like a tranny) belly dancing in the background.

^^youre not a purist... youre just insecure.

if you were a purist, you would get the real thing and not even pay attention to the watered down mass market shit. the selvage that you find for 60$ in the mall is not the smae thing as my samurais. i know that. the rest of the world may not but i dont care. im not in this for the approval of the masses, im in it... well... pretty much because of my love of vintage clothing and my search for jeans that will stand up to my skating.

personally, id love to see selvage denim avalible everywhere at a good price. id like to see the return of selvage mainline 501s for 50$ a pop. i think it would be good for the market to turn away from designs that are made to fall apart. raising the standard of quality is a good thing.

I was at the Mall last night... A Dallas mall... where 6 months ago you couldnt find anything without a hollywood wash out. Now GAP has selvage... I would bitch, but they are actually not too shab.

But.. Macy's has a whack, junior like section, for "young men" and they have some silly selvage jeans, made in Mexico. Comes with some silly tag explaining the selvage history and a price tag of 60$ or so. The jeans do that whack crap where they leave the selvage as the seam of one of the back pockets. Anyhow.. it has officially caught on.

I am far from "elite" with fashion or denim, but its sad when too much of a good thing turns rotten.

Selvage used to mean something.

What mall?

Galleria?

North Park?

I'm prolly going to purchase some nudies RR at Barneys over at northpark when I save up. lol

^^youre not a purist... youre just insecure.

if you were a purist, you would get the real thing and not even pay attention to the watered down mass market shit. the selvage that you find for 60$ in the mall is not the smae thing as my samurais. i know that. the rest of the world may not but i dont care. im not in this for the approval of the masses, im in it... well... pretty much because of my love of vintage clothing and my search for jeans that will stand up to my skating.

personally, id love to see selvage denim avalible everywhere at a good price. id like to see the return of selvage mainline 501s for 50$ a pop. i think it would be good for the market to turn away from designs that are made to fall apart. raising the standard of quality is a good thing.

man exactly. its insecurity. i see the same kind of bitching on everything from punk to underground hiphop to the stupid "streetwear" trend that's going on right now. who cares if something gets accepted by the mass market for everyone to enjoy? does something like that utterly smash your feelings of being "special" because you think you have something that no one else does?: if you define your identity with such tangible things, then you really have a problem with yourself. do stuff because you like it, not whether or not everyone else likes it or dislikes it as well.

Partially agreed with you guys ^^^

I think what some people on this board are afraid of is that selvage will be available to the masses at low low prices, and people will somehow pollute their secret fashion "edge" (pun not intended) over the rest of the people (or should i say "sheeple"). When selvedge becomes popular you guys are going to have to suck it up and try your damnedest to STILL dress better than 98% of the motherfuckers out there.

^^how does selvage make you stylish... or even a good dresser?

it may make you think youre stylish, because of the preceived excusivity of it. ive seen some fucked up outfits with selvage denim tho...

sometimes theres a reason youre the only one wearing something. exclusivity means very little in the end.(tho i fall for it just as much as the rest... contest samurais anyone? who got em because there are ony 30?)

Ok, im prob the person least interested in denim on this site but it irritates me to see this bc Im a purist and I hate seeing good things that are truly appreciated by some become debased through becoming popularized by/for the mass market. It cheapens an experience that used to be fulfilling (not saying denim entirely fits the bill here, IM talking about the process) so its ok to be pissed off by this. It will really get to me when Common and Madonna start rapping about selvedge with Fergie (who looks like a tranny) belly dancing in the background.

gap has probably been making jeans longer than you've been born, stop acting so special.

Partially agreed with you guys ^^^

I think what some people on this board are afraid of is that selvage will be available to the masses at low low prices, and people will somehow pollute their secret fashion "edge" (pun not intended) over the rest of the people (or should i say "sheeple"). When selvedge becomes popular you guys are going to have to suck it up and try your damnedest to STILL dress better than 98% of the motherfuckers out there.

its just that i really doubt selvage is going to become popular that it already is. in general, when it comes to jeans people just care about is the brand name, fit, wash, and maybe the distressing. they're not really going to care if its made on an antique shuttle loom. just bc a jean is selvage doesn't mean you dress better than someone else. a lot of the japanese jeans have these old school repro cuts with long rises that just looks terrible if you're trying to go out. i doubt women are going to be lookin at the guys' seams to see if the denim is selvage. its just not going to happen.

like i said, just because its selvage doesn't mean it looks good.

EA06HJE07_1.jpg

Back in the day everything was selvage. Even at its peak it's been kind of a niche thing that most people aren't interested in. So it's kind of caught on - fucking fashion trends are SO fickle and seasonal. You wont see gap selling selvage denims for more than a year or two because it's above their price points.

Back in the day everything was selvage. Even at its peak it's been kind of a niche thing that most people aren't interested in. So it's kind of caught on - fucking fashion trends are SO fickle and seasonal. You wont see gap selling selvage denims for more than a year or two because it's above their price points.

i think it was more of an experiment to see if it caught on, but they really didn't market it well. gap is in a big bind right now because they don't know how to define themselves anymore or market like the "khaki swings" days. i just read some article on bloomberg how they just launched a series of dressers with some high profile designer with the hopes of getting the hoopla that H&M and stella mccartney did... but they didn't market and no one cared.

gap has probably been making jeans longer than you've been born, stop acting so special.

Wtf? I was talking about commercialization in general, not just stupid selvedge. I thought I made that clear when I said that I wasnt even very into denim. Let me clarify for you - businesses exist to make money and in the course of doing that they tend to (not always) oversimplify, dumb down, do whatever to a commodity to make it more palatable to a mass market so it can make money. Obviously you could provide a very valid counterpoint and we could delve into the minutae of economic theory and supply and demand markets but thats hardly the point and would be quite boring. Im saying that I find myself a bit disgusted at trends such as this and I thought the mass marketing of selvedge denim could be an example of a multinational firm exploiting the positive connotations associated with a premium product such as selvedge denim and using it to make money while not maintaining a level of quality usually associated with the product. If you feel like thats being insecure, I disagree but whatever guys, just dont get personal and say Im acting special or some other bullshit like that.

Isn't this like the twentieth fucking "OMG SELVEDGE NOT ON INTERNET" thread we've had?

It's like every other post on super denim these days is like the board just started.

Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll get another "Hey, the APC thread is really long, can someone help me because I'm special enough to post a whole topic about my dumb question?"

Thank god for the small questions sticky.