Selvage doesnt means anything anymore.

houston

first, this thread is awful.

second, geowu makes the most salient point. the unfortunate thing about all this is that selvage is no longer an indicator of quality.

yeh. ringring made it a point a long long time ago that selvage isn't always an indicator of the quality of denim. there's always other variables like origin of cotton, how it was dyed, the weaving, etc.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first, this thread is awful.

second, geowu makes the most salient point. the unfortunate thing about all this is that selvage is no longer an indicator of quality.

I think the most salient point is that it never really was to begin with :-D

this is like in 94 when warner brothers released dookie by green day and a multinational company waterdowned and "killed" punk.

12 years later, I see a kid with a mohawk walking down the street, so i guess punk is still alive.

it's not so much your ideals that bother me, its the ownership and exclusivity that you seem to take. these threads have been popping up a lot recently, and some sort of textbook philosophical rant follows, but at the end of the day, the same thing happens, life goes on, and clothes are fucking clothes. The entire world does not revolve around the way you dress and if Gap sold selvedge jeans, so even for your sake, why get upset about it.

I dont disagree with you really - I mean I guess I could argue about the authenticity of modern punks - but whatever. I'm not trying to "take ownership", I was saying that I appreciate authenticity. Metaphor: Grime - shit was hot a few years ago. The scene was vibrant and underground (but not vibrant because it was underground, Im not saying that). I was in love with the raw, spare production of the music. Then, crews like Roll Deep starting getting signed by major labels and there was pressure to take that "straight out of fruity loops and a playstation" production and bring it to a major studio and make it sound NICE. Now the stuff sounds great and the scene may have benefited from the exposure (or it may not have), but the qualities I liked in the music - the anger, the production of the music that reflected the artist's social status (ie no money for proper studio time, so they improvised, like the dub scene in Jamaica a few decades ago) all of that has been changed slightly because of the standards held by the major labels. I LIKE how the new stuff sounds, it is better sounding music and more cohesive and Im not saying that anyone sold out. All I saying is that SOMETIMES commercialization alters the characteristics of the subcultures or trends that it is trying to sell. Look how many qualifiers are in the above message guys, this is not a radical, blanket statement. Even if you disagree with me on the denim point, I think you can at least seem some sort of validity in the point Im trying to make. Or not...

Let the shit talking re-commence...

yo where i can get some selvage condoms? im tryn to bone in style. bet ill cuff that shit. word.

dont do it ill shrink when wet

Potatoes > Rice ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

yes, they are

I dont disagree with you really - I mean I guess I could argue about the authenticity of modern punks - but whatever. I'm not trying to "take ownership", I was saying that I appreciate authenticity. Metaphor: Grime - shit was hot a few years ago. The scene was vibrant and underground (but not vibrant because it was underground, Im not saying that). I was in love with the raw, spare production of the music. Then, crews like Roll Deep starting getting signed by major labels and there was pressure to take that "straight out of fruity loops and a playstation" production and bring it to a major studio and make it sound NICE. Now the stuff sounds great and the scene may have benefited from the exposure (or it may not have), but the qualities I liked in the music - the anger, the production of the music that reflected the artist's social status (ie no money for proper studio time, so they improvised, like the dub scene in Jamaica a few decades ago) all of that has been changed slightly because of the standards held by the major labels. I LIKE how the new stuff sounds, it is better sounding music and more cohesive and Im not saying that anyone sold out. All I saying is that SOMETIMES commercialization alters the characteristics of the subcultures or trends that it is trying to sell. Look how many qualifiers are in the above message guys, this is not a radical, blanket statement. Even if you disagree with me on the denim point, I think you can at least seem some sort of validity in the point Im trying to make. Or not...

Let the shit talking re-commence...

there is validity in your point as much as there is validity in everypoint/counterpoint. There always exists a counterexample. I'm not even "talking shit" because these threads have ideals have come up so frequently in the past month.......but anyhow, basically what you're saying is that this mass marketing will lead to ultimately a shittier product. But what I think you fail to realize is #1 since it is a trend, it'll be over in 6 months anyways, so it is only short term and #2 competition does indeed breed quality. I'll write more tomorrow, this discussion is interesting, but i got to go to bed.

as far as I'm concerned, selvage in and of itself is good. You can't say selvage when only you knew=good. Its a detail that I like, same as good color, crotch rivet, hidden rivets, lined rear pockets, funny patterns on the front pocket liner, etc.

And I have echo the statement, if they brought back selvage on $36 Sears 501s I would buy 2 pairs immediately