college applications.

red

i still have yet to do mine.

but i thought it would be interesting to list what colleges youre applying to.

and maybe those of you already through college can give some input.

i can never get around to doing my fucking apps. shit. i can already hear my future slurping down the drain.

anyways, looking to apply to:

sarah lawrence college

syracuse

colgate

rutgers

and community college if all else fails.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still have yet to do mine.

but i thought it would be interesting to list what colleges youre applying to.

and maybe those of you already through college can give some input.

i can never get around to doing my fucking apps. shit. i can already hear my future slurping down the drain.

anyways, looking to apply to:

sarah lawrence college

syracuse

colgate

rutgers

and community college if all else fails.

I wouldn't go to Sarah Lawrence only because you don't want to tell people you went to a school named "Sarah Lawrence"...........intelligent reasoning. No?

I also wouldn't go to rutgers... i know a bunch of people there and the school doesn't have a great reputation. However if you're looking into schools in that league, look at Pitt. Its a lot harder to get into now, but its a killer school.

you basically named 4 schools that are all fairly different than each other. give some more info on the demographic of school you wanna go to and then give location you wanna be around and lastly give your stats (or pm me your stats) and i'll suggest some schools for you. I guess working undergrad admissions kind of helped out?

so far-

sarah lawrence - liberal arts, very small school iirc, former all girls school, good school academically, moderate difficulty getting in, but since you're a guy and probably have some stories from living abroad, as long as you have decent grades (above average) you should have no problem getting in.

colgate - no real info on this, but location is blah.

rutgers- would rather shoot myself in the face than be in NJ for school or anyreason for that matter

pitt- i don't know how you do it thorns, weather sucks, area is at best ok (in terms of things to do and people surrounding) and its an old factory town. it's never been "nice" everytime i've been to pitt, even nice weather means overcast.

both pitt and rutgers, none of them warrant the education you'll get by paying out of state rates

syracuse- huge school, good academically. great basketball team. that's all off the top of my head...

Haha I know our weather is pretty hardcore. After my first semester here I went home and bought an arctic survival jacket from cabela's. However, it is a college town. Pitt, CMU, Duquesne, Robert Morris and a bunch of others all crammed together. Southside bar hopping is sweet. Incredible museums and history. Nice people. Its a pretty sweet city once you know whats goin on. Living between Philly and NYC for basically my whole life it was a nice change of pace.

As it goes, out of state tuition would suck... so fair enough. From that list, I think I would probably pick syracuse. From my time up there it seemed like a lot of nice kids and a good program, but for me that would be out of state and syracuse doesn't have much of that big city feel that I sorta gravitate towards.

I can weigh in on a few of these schools.

As for upstate or western NY - Cuse, RPI, Colgate, etc., I wouldn't recommend heading that way to spend four years of your life to anybody. It's miserable, cold and depressed. Cold isn't so bad, if there are snow and mountains. Snow there is plenty of, but mountains are there are not. Summers are hot. There is very little in terms of art/culture. They are great schools, but IMO, location is one of the most important, but underlooked aspects when picking a school. (I'm sure there is plenty of fun to be had, bars, parties, sluts, etc., but remember, you'll find that anywhere.)

Fordham is a lot of fun, and a great City school that isn't NYU or Columbia. But it's a Catholic school, and a Jesuit school. Meaning that it tends to be conservative and very thorough when it comes to "core curriculum." Be ready to spend your first 2 years completing bullshit requirements - this will happen at most schools - but it's more intense at a Jesuit school.

NYU is a great place to go if you don't really want to go to college, if you have a lot of money, or if you don't really like people.

i think nyu would be awesome, ONLY IF YOU HAD A TON OF MONEY. i remember being so poor in college, hauling stolen radio station promo's to sell for beer money, can't imagine what it's like living in NYC. but fordham and nyu are very different schools admission wise as well, getting into NYU is very difficult nowadays, so if you want to be in nyc and don't have the grades to get into nyu, fordham might be an option, but you're not in manhatten, you're in the bronx. there are a billion and a half schools in nyc, if thats where you want to be, just do an internet search.

did you search your cali options?

Syracuse

Villanova

Fordham

BC

UW

among others

villanova is err....area sucks, and unless you plan on taking the train down to party, not especially fun. BC or any catholic school in the northeast is EXACTLY THE SAME. a bunch of rich white irish heritage kids from either nj, boston burbs, or ct. And they all own a house up at the cape too. so you might be a bit out of place unless thats your thing. I went to PC, and that's my expeirience.

villanova is err....area sucks, and unless you plan on taking the train down to party, not especially fun. BC or any catholic school in the northeast is EXACTLY THE SAME. a bunch of rich white irish heritage kids from either nj, boston burbs, or ct. And they all own a house up at the cape too. so you might be a bit out of place unless thats your thing. I went to PC, and that's my expeirience.

PC?

...and yeah Philly does suck, but I really liked 'Nova.

i applied to amherst, princeton, bowdoin, middlebury and haverford.

being that im a senior at a liberal arts college, and that i grew up within a 10 min drive from the campus, i would advise against sarah lawrence. it's in a terrible town with a student body full of overeducated rich fools who were too soho to go to trinity.

that said, i've heard great things about syracuse. great hardcore scene too lol

edit. i've also heard that sl is the most expensive liberal arts college in the country, partially because their endowment is in shambles. something like 52,000, with no need-blind financial aid? if youre well off, cool, if not you'll be stuck paying off loans for a long time after.

what the hell, I'll list the ones I applied to, it was long time ago, lol...

Carnegie Mellon

MIT

CalTech

backups:

RPI

Cornell

WashU

Michigan Ann Arbor (funny shit, sent app and got accepted in a week, followed by LOTS of phonecalls)

Wiscosin (Madison, they got some seriously hot chicks at Madison)

Minnesota (Twin Cities) <-- I went there for college classes in math and science back in high school and really didn't like it much, but it would've been dirt cheap coz I was a MN resident and I also would've been able to graduate in like 2 years had I gone there... LOL...

so what are the chances of an international student getting accepted in the universities in the US for postgraduate degrees (engineering management)?

anyway, i am applying for the following before January 07:

stanford

northwestern

columbia

berkeley

dartmouth

michigan-ann arbor

cornell

U of rochester

U of southern california

U of Florida

princeton

duke

engineering management is kindda a b.s. degree yo... i would just get an MS or PhD in whatever you did your undergrad in... and then if you really think it's worth it get an MBA after u work for a few years...

to answer your question, it's pretty fucking easy to get in as an international student, it's much easier than getting in for undergrad actually... they just want your money...

if you come to Stanford or UCB u can check out my DHs in person, LOL!!

so what are the chances of an international student getting accepted in the universities in the US for postgraduate degrees (engineering management)?

anyway, i am applying for the following before January 07:

stanford

northwestern

columbia

berkeley

dartmouth

michigan-ann arbor

cornell

U of rochester

U of southern california

U of Florida

princeton

duke

i did my undergrad in Bioinformatics engineering as well as science (majoring in Biotechnology)

i would like to get into the commercial side of things, e.g. management, finance, etc. and the degree i find that fitted my interest is the Masters of Engineering Management degree

PhD is an option but i am not a research sort of person and definetely dont want to work as a researcher/lab assistant/programmer

so Ayn, would u know any other Masters degree that is better than engineering management but suited for a person with engineering/science background?

engineering management is kindda a b.s. degree yo... i would just get an MS or PhD in whatever you did your undergrad in... and then if you really think it's worth it get an MBA after u work for a few years...

to answer your question, it's pretty fucking easy to get in as an international student, it's much easier than getting in for undergrad actually... they just want your money...

if you come to Stanford or UCB u can check out my DHs in person, LOL!!

oh, one more question for whoever knows the answer

how well do i need to perform in the GRE in order to have a higher chance of getting accepted at one of the more pretige university?

i was thinking to score for each of the sections:

quantitative: 720+/800

verbal: 550+800

writing: 4-5/6

also, my undergrad marks are spetacular, so i guess i'll have to impress them through my letters of recommendation and personal statements/CV

apu: it's really not like you get a masters in eng management and you can get management positions at biotech or tech companies, and definitely not in finance... I just have a pretty huge problem of b.s. degrees, especially coz you'll be paying a ton of money for it... you can get an M.S. done in a year and get some real work experience, and if you wanna move into management or finance, you should get an MBA from one of the top 5 schools...