college applications.

red

yea, i understand that even if i am equipped wf a masters in eng mang degree i wont be able to move straight into a managerial position. I was planning to get the masters degree first, then find a job in the US instead of Australia. So my main intention is to base my career in the US rather than here (SYD).

the masters degree i am looking into are mostly 1 year in length, so getting a few years of work experience than getting a MBA would be great too

also, another degree i am interested is the masters of financial engineering, anyone care to share some comments/tips with this one? Ayn?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the masters in financial engineering at Stanford is a great program, also consider the computational finance degree at Carnegie Mellon (my alma mater)... if you're into that kindda stuff... that program at cmu is very very very hardcore...

Boston University

Tufts University

Wesleyan University

UC: San Diego, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Santa Cruz

UC's are submitted obviously, and I've finished ALL of the non-personal-statement Common App. stuff, but I'm using the same essays, just edited a little. Basically I'm done and I'm looking forward to moving to the east coast. I'm basically for sure going to BU.

so. is there anything wrong with applying next year if im graduating this year?

you're already late in the game, unless you are going for rolling admission, which a lot of state schools have, but as far as ivy's go, you have till jan 1st deadline. It all really depends on what you want to do...I would have been a much better student if i had taken a year off, but i'm glad i didn't because i wouldn't have met the same friends..but it's all gamble, but you're no means "late", at the end of the pile maybe, but not "late"

Boston University

Tufts University

Wesleyan University

UC: San Diego, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Santa Cruz

UC's are submitted obviously, and I've finished ALL of the non-personal-statement Common App. stuff, but I'm using the same essays, just edited a little. Basically I'm done and I'm looking forward to moving to the east coast. I'm basically for sure going to BU.

BU shouldn't be that hard to get into, i think we had this discussion before. If they don't accept you to Arts and Sciences, they dump you in general studies. Tufts University and

Wesleyan University are great schools. work on a good personal statement that describes who you are and you'll be in good favors. I cannot emphasize how important that is to these kinds of schools, where they actually read your shit..

to all of you kids interested in syracuse...i went there, and i'd say unless you are interested in one of the following programs (all excellent):

Architecture

Communications (any of the divisions in Newhouse)

Fine Arts

Geography

Maxwell School for public policy

the forrestry school (technically part of SUNY)

don't bother with ANY of the other programs. Syracuse is a private school and is very expensive (a lot of people don't know this), so if you are just going for general Arts&Sciences/ Liberal Arts/ "I'll declare in my junior year and party till then" just save yourself or your parents some money and go to a good state school somewhere were the weather isn't shit and the girls aren't all from Nassau County in long island...seriously.

very good sports teams too

true, although the football team has sucked lately, which is too bad, cause i was there when McNabb was there (he used to play catch with us outside one of the dining halls, my one brush with sports stardom)...and the games in the dome were crazy. But the basketball team is almost always good. We went insane when they won with Carmelo...lots of storming the court.

the gate brothers

wow...you really know a lot about SU sports! surprised to see a LAX reference, although, i keep telling people it was the best deal at SU. pay three bucks and sit right on the field and get drunk while watching one of the most exciting sports on the planet that no one outside the northeast knows about... pretty kick-ass. Ryan Powell, was killing it when i was there.

true, although the football team has sucked lately, which is too bad, cause i was there when McNabb was there (he used to play catch with us outside one of the dining halls, my one brush with sports stardom)...and the games in the dome were crazy. But the basketball team is almost always good. We went insane when they won with Carmelo...lots of storming the court.

you, my friend, were in the proximity of greatness. i personally think he is THE greatest quarterback in the league. fuck manning.

i still think hes a bastard though for destroying my fantasy team.

wow...you really know a lot about SU sports! surprised to see a LAX reference, although, i keep telling people it was the best deal at SU. pay three bucks and sit right on the field and get drunk while watching one of the most exciting sports on the planet that no one outside the northeast knows about... pretty kick-ass. Ryan Powell, was killing it when i was there.

not really, but i met them when they were back in college at the local sports store and still have the autographs...plus they did play for the philly wings for a bit.

McNabb is done, his career is over, torn ACL is never 100% recoverable...he was amaznig for philly, but he'll never be the same.

McNabb was a good quarterback. I'll even admit that he had games where he was great. But he was never the best in the league. I think he's a great player, but he has never been an accurate passer. Going through the film you'll see he rarely ever hit the right shoulder and more often than that it was under or over thrown. Great player and Philly will miss him terribly, but not the best.

McNabb was a good quarterback. I'll even admit that he had games where he was great. But he was never the best in the league. I think he's a great player, but he has never been an accurate passer. Going through the film you'll see he rarely ever hit the right shoulder and more often than that it was under or over thrown. Great player and Philly will miss him terribly, but not the best.

FUCK YOU THORNS. THATS IT, RED AGAINST THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ten characters.

i dont really understand the weight of the new SAT. is the writing section that hard?

Its just split into three 800 point sections now instead of two. 800 + 800 + 800 = 2400. The writing section is okay, I did better in it than the other two. I think I had a 710 in math, 720 in the reading, and 730 in the writing. The old SAT was just Math and Reading, so like I would have had a 1430. I'm not so sure schools care about the writing just yet. Something like that.

Its just split into three 800 point sections now instead of two. 800 + 800 + 800 = 2400. The writing section is okay, I did better in it than the other two. I think I had a 710 in math, 720 in the reading, and 730 in the writing. The old SAT was just Math and Reading, so like I would have had a 1430. I'm not so sure schools care about the writing just yet. Something like that.

so is it impossible to get a 2400/perfect score now? good scores, where you looking? college is so much more competitive than it was when i first applied..

red...do you remember when he used to run? he based the first half on his career on the fact that he could run and throw. then someone said that all black quaterbacks run and throw like warren moon then he stopped running...

yes. this is why i liked him. when i was younger, and didnt watch games as much, i thought he was overrated because of his running ability. i hated him. but then i saw some games, and i saw him throw, and my opinion was totally changed. i think i like him alot because i set such low standards for him.

Yea, he'll come back, but whether or not it will be 100% is very unsure. I was actually quite impressed with the way Garcias played in the last game but with his contract up at the end of the year it will be interesting to see if he gets another offer if the play keeps up or if they will go with Feeley as the number 2 guy after McNabb. McNabb sure doesn't have the best track record when it comes to injuries though and he is only getting older....we shall see.

so is it impossible to get a 2400/perfect score now? good scores, where you looking? college is so much more competitive than it was when i first applied..

it is possible to get a perfect score. the highest i've seen is in the 2300s by a pothead friend of mine.

in texas, you're automatically in if your GPA puts you in the top 10%. unfortunately, due to heavy partying and slacking off, i'm not quite in it. so now i'm banking on the SAT to get it. stupid stupid.