what non-denim things do you collect?

actually, i never thought i was collecting denim to begin with. don't think i'll ever reach a level where i'd have more than 20 pairs of jeans at any point. and unless i reach that level, i don't think i'll consider myself a collector.

but i do collect quotes, strangely enough.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dismalfuture: Allow me to make a suggestion. It's one I wish I would follow more often, too. Take any kind of a recording device (tape, vdo, whatever you have) and have your folks tell you about some of the items they like most. Interview them. They'll really appreciate the attention (Even if you're not quite into it, act like it!), and the recording will be truly priceless to you later -- not only for the details they contain. Trust me on this. And DO IT!!!

Old Blues LPs (Mississippi Fred McDowell, Lightnin Hopkins, Blind Lemon, ya know the country blues... no big deal) I try to find old 78s, but those are damn near impossible to find in a playable condition.

Country Albums (Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie, Hank Sr. etc)

Batman Comics

I really try not to collect too many things. I just get way too into things and spend way too much money.

I would collect Alden shoes, but I am too poor.

christ...could everyone who has posted their obscene wine collections PM me their home addresses and when they next expect to be out of town on vacation?

Sure! My place is the one with the high walls with iron spikes and concertina wire, as well as the armed guards in the elevated picket above the front gate. It’s on Rehman Baba Road on the outskirts of Peshawar, in the Northwest Frontier Province of Pakistan. I don’t know about vacation, but most of next week, I’ll be up in either Kurram Agency or in Kala Dhaka Valley on road building projects. Presuming you can get by the boys at my gate and through the alarm system that triggers our consulate security team, I’d say you’re welcome to a drink. But, hey, if you knock and ask nicely, I’ll gladly share. We don't get many visitors out here.

short lived? crap?

Considering they debuted in 1991 and today you can still buy the players in Japan I`d say they gave us about 10-15 years of high quality recordable media superior to tape. I`ve still got 1 or 2 hundred minidiscs and the 20th anniversary of walkman sony minidisc walkman and they still sound better than anything off an ipod.

No it doesn't. Minidisc is a lossy format just like compressed digital audio is, except not only does it fuck your treble up it cuts out bottom end bass frequencies. Nothing you'd notice on earphones, but if you compared a drum and bass track with a subwoofer between 256kbps digital audio and Minidisc you'd not so much hear as feel the difference around the 20-30hz range.

Yeah, I used to read way too many music technology magazines.

Sure! My place is the one with the high walls with iron spikes and concertina wire, as well as the armed guards in the elevated picket above the front gate. It’s on Rehman Baba Road on the outskirts of Peshawar, in the Northwest Frontier Province of Pakistan. I don’t know about vacation, but most of next week, I’ll be up in either Kurram Agency or in Kala Dhaka Valley on road building projects. Presuming you can get by the boys at my gate and through the alarm system that triggers our consulate security team, I’d say you’re welcome to a drink. But, hey, if you knock and ask nicely, I’ll gladly share. We don't get many visitors out here.

Omw kthx.

*dons bullet proof vest*

Living in NYC, it's difficult to have the space to collect much of anything. However, I do have a respectable bourbon & absinthe shelf that I am slowly working towards calling a collection. And hundreds of books & CDs between here and back home, but nothing remarkable enough to be considered "collectable".

Guest thing4kicks86

+ Sneakers (Jordan mainly)+ Music (Hip-hop, Rock (if u consider. N.E.R.D. rock)+ Kidrobot Dunnys (kinda slacked recently) Nothing really out of the ordinary.

LeicaLad,

What other wines do you collect besides Bordeaux?

None. For bedding down, the Bordeaux are my love. I've pals who've continued to flesh out and build their stock with sheer enthusiasm. Several live near you. I've scaled back to wines that are consumed pretty much within the year of purchase. More Australian wines. Shipments are mistreated out here, so it just isn't worth the risk anymore. sigh. The photo is my earliest/oldest/best corner of the cellar.

Oh yeah, I also collect old Black Panther memorabilia. Such as vintage pins, flyers, news papers, posters, shirts, and especially books. I have an autographed first edition of Revolutionary Suicide by the one and only Huey P Newton. I don't even keep that in my house. It is in a safe deposit box.

I used to collect sports cards. My prized possession is a Michael Jordan Rookie card. I have been thinking of selling that. It holds little sentimental value for me.

None. For bedding down, the Bordeaux are my love. I've pals who've continued to flesh out and build their stock with sheer enthusiasm. Several live near you. I've scaled back to wines that are consumed pretty much within the year of purchase. More Australian wines. Shipments are mistreated out here, so it just isn't worth the risk anymore. sigh. The photo is my earliest/oldest/best corner of the cellar.

wine was so expensive in thailand, strange in a country where everything else is cheap.

i collect skate board decks even though i dont skateboard or even like skateboarding. I dont hate it but just dont care for it. I collect it for the art i guess.

i also collect music and music videos from all genra's. I got a 200 gig drive dedicated to music and music videos.

my fav are: trance, techno, chillout, reggae, rock, classic rock, freetstyle ect....

i collect skate board decks even though i dont skateboard or even like skateboarding. I dont hate it but just dont care for it. I collect it for the art i guess.

i also collect music and music videos from all genra's. I got a 200 gig drive dedicated to music and music videos.

my fav are: trance, techno, chillout, reggae, rock, classic rock, freetstyle ect....

lol....limewired?

ahha i wouldnt count that as collecting.

wine was so expensive in thailand, strange in a country where everything else is cheap.

You got that right! During the bubble, Thais “discovered†wines as fashion accessory and prices went stratospheric. US$1,000 per bottle for any 1st growth Bordeaux is not uncommon. The spectacle (what else can you call it?) of rich Chinese buying bottle after bottle of last year’s vintage Latour to drink at a restaurant is painfully amusing. (How utterly awful a brand new Latour would taste. These are wines that don’t even become drinkable in their first decade after bottling, and are good only after their second.) But, even the local Foodland supermarket has a wine section with a dozen or more wines in that price range. Crazy, eh?

The other item that is on the crazy list would be car prices. Generally, add 600% import and luxury tax for all those Benz, Jags, Ferraris. Do the math, and then remember how many you saw on the streets! :eek:

i know, it's crazy how many luxury cars and new cars in general i saw. gross displays of opulence are very popular it seems--as well as incurring obscene amounts of debt. i heard many people default on loans and it's not a big deal.

i love wine, but i don't collect. i know if i start, it's just gonna be bad, bad news for my pocket book. that's why i stick to beer, unfortunately. maybe someday, i'll have a nice cellar to keep the good stuff...

You got that right! During the bubble, Thais “discovered†wines as fashion accessory and prices went stratospheric. US$1,000 per bottle for any 1st growth Bordeaux is not uncommon. The spectacle (what else can you call it?) of rich Chinese buying bottle after bottle of last year’s vintage Latour to drink at a restaurant is painfully amusing. (How utterly awful a brand new Latour would taste. These are wines that don’t even become drinkable in their first decade after bottling, and are good only after their second.) But, even the local Foodland supermarket has a wine section with a dozen or more wines in that price range. Crazy, eh?

The other item that is on the crazy list would be car prices. Generally, add 600% import and luxury tax for all those Benz, Jags, Ferraris. Do the math, and then remember how many you saw on the streets! :eek:

I don't collect jeans. I just seem to have accumulated more than I can wear at once. Likewise with guitars, I seem to have accumulated more than I can play at once. As for wine, I have never accumulated more than I can drink over three or four months. And I don't collect cameras, either, although I have a couple more than I can use at once. This one's for Leicalad...

ptm4.jpg

I don't collect jeans. I just seem to have accumulated more than I can wear at once. Likewise with guitars, I seem to have accumulated more than I can play at once. As for wine, I have never accumulated more than I can drink over three or four months. And I don't collect cameras, either, although I have a couple more than I can use at once. This one's for Leicalad...

ptm4.jpg

Hey, Paul! That's real nice. An M4 or early M6, I'm guessing. Nice brassing. Looks loved. I'll get around to posting a picture of my 70 yr-old IIIa. That's my fun toy. An M6ttl and M7 are the regular tools, backed up by a pair of CLEs I dearly love. Restrictions on movement here see mine getting less use than I'd like. sigh.

I don't really collect. I just accumulate...