Bicyclettes

canice

some options for sub-$500 bikes, in order of personal preference:

- soma rush (i've heard of these going super cheap, but normally a complete build would run you higher than 500)

- redline 925 (just an incredible deal on the parts you're getting, great commuter)

- iro angus (best deal out there)

- decent conversions (more work, but it's worthwhile to learn how to build your own bike)

- used higher end stuff like bianchi pistas off craigslist

- fuji

- surly steamroller (road geo)

- kona paddywagon (nice tubing, road geo)

- nyc bikes (aluminum, but dece for what it is)

- khs flite (my friend had one of these before it got wrecked, but it was a good ride. shite wheels, but threaded!)

check this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=225713

for what it's worth, had i known more about bikes when i bought mine, i would have gotten a soma rush.

I've been looking at this guys sales for a while, but I've been afraid to pull the trigger, since I know NOTHING about bikes. Any advice or warnings would be appreciated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRACK-ROAD-RACING-BIKE-FIXED-GEAR-or-SINGLE-SPEED_W0QQitemZ150084693045QQihZ005QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You live in Madison, you shouldn't be buying online. Get a cheap road frame for the winter and take it to one of the local shops (Revolution?) to be built.

I also know that you're Phill's friend, right? Do I really need to say anymore?

You live in Madison, you shouldn't be buying online. Get a cheap road frame for the winter and take it to one of the local shops (Revolution?) to be built.

I also know that you're Phill's friend, right? Do I really need to say anymore?

Yeah, I know. I figured I could circumnavigate the situation and save Phil the hassle of explaining shit to me. I went to Yellow Jersey today and looked at some things. Mostly had the concept of the one gear bike drilled into me. I feel smarter already.

any of you ever go on "internet" rides?

this old friend of mine is really into them, but she rocks a mountain bike. im letting her use my centurion, and im thinking of tagging along on my atala, but i dont want it to be a situation where im getting internet acronyms yelled at me and someone has an "ORLY?" shirt or something.

are they as bad, or do i just have the worst case scenerio in my head?

any of you ever go on "internet" rides?

this old friend of mine is really into them, but she rocks a mountain bike. im letting her use my centurion, and im thinking of tagging along on my atala, but i dont want it to be a situation where im getting internet acronyms yelled at me and someone has an "ORLY?" shirt or something.

are they as bad, or do i just have the worst case scenerio in my head?

i used to put on 'saturday night races' with people from bikeforums. does that count? there were no internet acronyms though

canice: although i thoroughly agree with you that you get what you pay for, Taiwanese production quality is actually pretty good...now if we.re talking about engineering and design...that.s another story. i also agree with you on the advice of a conversion not only for cost but also for the learning process.

greg: if you need help with a bike, just lemme know!! 608.209.0418

adam: we need to get that 3rensho on the road!! and no conversion! let.s get that ready to ride as soon as the -20 degree weather passes over. haven.t ridden in two days and i.m itching! have you seen my ritchey riser bars??? hella short and fun as hell.

IMAGE_00039.jpg

it.s a tad dirty from the salt i know but it shall be cleaned thoroughly as soon as the weather permits.IMAGE_00039.jpg

I've never rode a fixie before. And I know nothing about bike construction. (But i do know how to ride a bike). Anywho, I've been reading up on fixed gears and they seem pretty interesting. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on getting my first fixie?

If it matters, I weigh about 150 pounds and I'm about 5"6-5"7.

I've never rode a fixie before. And I know nothing about bike construction. (But i do know how to ride a bike). Anywho, I've been reading up on fixed gears and they seem pretty interesting. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on getting my first fixie?

If it matters, I weigh about 150 pounds and I'm about 5"6-5"7.

check out canice's recommendations on the previous page.

or get a sweet road bike.

as far as your height, your probably like a 51cm depending on how you big or small you like your bikes... though you should stop by a shop and get 'fitted.' find out the right frame size for you and how you like your reach etc just so you can be comfortable when you ride...

good luck

I've been feeling the Bianchi Pista as my entry-level fixie. I don't know whether to buy a completely stock Bianchi Pista for the $550 price, or one of these two ebay auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290081162780&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290079259639&rd=1&rd=1

Anybody have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
some options for sub-$500 bikes, in order of personal preference:

- soma rush (i've heard of these going super cheap, but normally a complete build would run you higher than 500)

- redline 925 (just an incredible deal on the parts you're getting, great commuter)

- iro angus (best deal out there)

- decent conversions (more work, but it's worthwhile to learn how to build your own bike)

- used higher end stuff like bianchi pistas off craigslist

- fuji

- surly steamroller (road geo)

- kona paddywagon (nice tubing, road geo)

- nyc bikes (aluminum, but dece for what it is)

- khs flite (my friend had one of these before it got wrecked, but it was a good ride. shite wheels, but threaded!)

check this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=225713

for what it's worth, had i known more about bikes when i bought mine, i would have gotten a soma rush.

which one of these is better to build off of, or more potent? in other words, which one is better for upgrading? or should i just buy an entirely new bike when im ready to upgrade?

your biggest investments will be wheels and frame, because they probably make the biggest impact on the quality of ride and its feel so it's important to buy good ones. everything else, in the event of upgrades or replacement, won't destroy your wallet.

the iro angus has reynolds 631 tubing - relatively light, stiff, takes a beating. the rush used to have reynolds tubing i think, so if you find a used one you'll get that. the newer ones use tange prestige, which is an equivalent to reynolds 631.

that said, fit is everything, otherwise very quickly you are gonna hate having sore back/arms/wrists/legs if it doesn't work with your body type. i bought a frame that was shittier tubing because it fit me better.

HELP ME

i have a trek sl 1200 and i can only shift from one side, i had it fixed once but once i shift from my other lever my chains are rubbing up and the piece of metal near the crank, i dont want to send it to tune up just to fix that shit