Bicyclettes

canice

Got MTB risers today, managed to get them on the bike before work! Standard width is quite wide though, they're like 600mm I think, think about cutting 50-100mm off each side?

How wide does everyone grip?

i just switched to risers because riding with 42cm drops between traffic sucks. i cut the risers to 38cm.

luckily for me, nyc has t*, so i don't have to fuck around with the LBS half the time.

ChadM ... that bike is really sick. +rep.

i just switched to risers because riding with 42cm drops between traffic sucks. i cut the risers to 38cm.

luckily for me, nyc has t*, so i don't have to fuck around with the LBS half the time.

How did you cut them? Pipe cutter hack saw? I'm thinking I'll just grab a hack saw and a clamp to keep it level...

because it takes away their business. i always shop at my LBS anyway - being a loyal customer, the 10% discount they give me always works out to be less than shipping to canada anyway.

my shop is really nice though. they tell me funny stories about running over dogs and cutting them in half.

Ive gone to this one LBS and they were cool when I first met them, but the day I brought my bike in and had them install my brakes (left tools at home) and I got into abit of a discussion why I shouldnt use this brake cable because how it could suddenly fail on me. However there is another bike shop over in Berkeley that Id like to check out, as he does alot of vintage styling and custom fitting and seems like quite a knowledgeable and nice guy.

How did you cut them? Pipe cutter hack saw? I'm thinking I'll just grab a hack saw and a clamp to keep it level...

i had the dudes at t* cut them and they used one of those vices that you use to cut stems. easiest way to do it DIY is with a pipe cutter. mark your spot and its precise.

noob question. how the hell do i get my feet into my cages while riding?

flip it with the ball of your foot and your toe will be right there to slide in just like penis in vagina.

BMX folks.

School me, I want a cheap rig I can mess with every once in awhile.

Would I be better off scoping craigslist?

So far ... Hoffman or Haro has been recommended.

Hey man if youre interested in a BMX style bike I have one thats in great shape sitting in my garage. Its a mongoose villian and its all chrome with mags on it. I bought it from a little privately owned spot up on Balboa in about.... I would say 95/6 or so. Im living in Japan at the moment, but the bike is in Daly City. I have no clue regarding price and the like (BMX heads what would you say?), so let me know.

If youre interested PM me.

BMX folks.

School me, I want a cheap rig I can mess with every once in awhile.

Would I be better off scoping craigslist?

So far ... Hoffman or Haro has been recommended.

If you're not sure what you're looking for then I'd avoid buying second hand, have a look at the Fit completes at Empire http://www.empirebmx.com/catalog/catalog.aspx they'll be more that adequate to dick around on.

The Hoffmans would be fine too...

Hey man if youre interested in a BMX style bike I have one thats in great shape sitting in my garage. Its a mongoose villian and its all chrome with mags on it. I bought it from a little privately owned spot up on Balboa in about.... I would say 95/6 or so. Im living in Japan at the moment, but the bike is in Daly City. I have no clue regarding price and the like (BMX heads what would you say?), so let me know.

If youre interested PM me.

I guess it depends if arevalo wants a bike to really ride or just cruise around on. Mags are rare on BMX's these days for good reason, they're heavy and really difficult to repair (contrary to the myth they don't straighten out if you put them in the freezer...)

There's an increasing interest in old school bikes, have a look on www.vintagebmx.com to get an idea of how much it's worth...

ChadM That's the BMX part of this thread over then...

How's that frame? The tubing looks a larger diameter than the Ivy.

Hey! I think the tubing might be just slightly larger than the Ivy. Before this, I was riding a 21' One True Ave, but it cracked and the Time Frame was all they had in 21. My friend Conall was riding the Ivy and he cracked his and got a Time frame as well. I've only ridden the frame for about a week, but so far so good.

Where are you located?

-Chad

Been a minute since i checked this thread. Some updates. Damn near 75 degrees. Lovin the weather right now. Anyone riding the 5 borough bike tour? See you there.

49beeky.jpg

4cjscn8.jpg

2d26l2u.jpg

Picked this Cervelo up for longer rides.

3z8vi0w.jpg

I know this is gonna sound dumb but i know there are a lot of bike riders in San Fran but the last time I visited San Fran it was a bunch of hills and not bunny hills i am talking STEEP SHIT! Doesn't seem like a very nice bike ride unless you're going down hill. Please give me some insight into this.

I know this is gonna sound dumb but i know there are a lot of bike riders in San Fran but the last time I visited San Fran it was a bunch of hills and not bunny hills i am talking STEEP SHIT! Doesn't seem like a very nice bike ride unless you're going down hill. Please give me some insight into this.

That's why when these heated debates about where the best fixed riders come from on Bikeforums etc... There really aint any question as far as I'm concerned. SF is killing it hands down.

Hey! I think the tubing might be just slightly larger than the Ivy. Before this, I was riding a 21' One True Ave, but it cracked and the Time Frame was all they had in 21. My friend Conall was riding the Ivy and he cracked his and got a Time frame as well. I've only ridden the frame for about a week, but so far so good.

Where are you located?

-Chad

I'm based in London. I really like the clean and simple look of the Take frames, you don't see them much in the U.K. where did your One true Ave crack?

Thanks for the comments. The iro is the work commuter. Got the spin wheel real cheap at my lbs. Wanted a hed tri spoke but made no sense in putting a wheel on that cost more than the bike. The Cervelo is sweet. 9w is killer on a fixed, picked it up for that reason. I'd like to upgrade the wheels and componets but my wedding is putting a whole in the pocket. Hopefully sooner than later.

Arevalo - Just peeped the concept :D .. Nice.

Are their any decent BMX shops in the GTA? A friend of mine suggested Hogtown, and said their use to be a couple in the 905 that shut down a while back. Seems like BMX has fallen off.

I'm starting to get a jones on for a real street bike since I am moving to a dense urban envonment for the first time. I've always had beat bmx's and clunky moutain bikes when I was younger due to a lack of pavement down on the farm.

Thanks for the comments. The iro is the work commuter. Got the spin wheel real cheap at my lbs. Wanted a hed tri spoke but made no sense in putting a wheel on that cost more than the bike. The Cervelo is sweet. 9w is killer on a fixed, picked it up for that reason. I'd like to upgrade the wheels and componets but my wedding is putting a whole in the pocket. Hopefully sooner than later.

Arevalo - Just peeped the concept :D .. Nice.

Hey, I ride 9W. I don't have a road bike yet so I use my Specialized Stumpjumper with slicks. I always feel out of place with all the road bikes passing me by. But there's a great community of riders there. I usually ride from Englewood Cliffs to Piermont and back. The hill by the New York border always kills me on the way back to Jersey. I can't wait to get on my bike again when the weather gets even warmer. I work in Englewood Cliffs so I'm seeing more and more cyclists coming out from their winter hibernation.

Carlos - It's a great route. Just got out of hybernation myself as of a couple of weeks ago. I feel you on the roadies, every one g'd up top to bottom. Me in my raw denim (with cycling shorts underneath) and a fitted :( . I look like i'm deliivering food. haha.