Bicyclettes

canice

so yesterday i was waiting on a sidewalk to get across a giant intersection involving a highway. I had an itch, scratched it, tipped over and had to catch myself on an iron fence. problem was i didnt see the fence tops (this is a 3' fence, mind you) were sharp spikes, like the kind they put on 10' cemetery fences. so now i've got come crazy stigmata going on, maybe 1/4" square puncture wounds in my palms, and my hands are swollen as hell. I could barely ride in this morning.

figures the first time i loose a track stand in 3 years, i have to be next to the pointy fence. awesome.

oh! edit i guess: has anyone ridden 48/15 for a long period of time? i'm thinking about going that route

so yesterday i was waiting on a sidewalk to get across a giant intersection involving a highway. I had an itch, scratched it, tipped over and had to catch myself on an iron fence. problem was i didnt see the fence tops (this is a 3' fence, mind you) were sharp spikes, like the kind they put on 10' cemetery fences. so now i've got come crazy stigmata going on, maybe 1/4" square puncture wounds in my palms, and my hands are swollen as hell. I could barely ride in this morning.

figures the first time i loose a track stand in 3 years, i have to be next to the pointy fence. awesome.

oh! edit i guess: has anyone ridden 48/15 for a long period of time? i'm thinking about going that route

That sucks. I lost a track stand waiting at a red light and couldn't unclip my pedals in time. Of course I did this in between classes, so approximately 8 billion people saw me fall.

48/15 scares me. I'm mashing enough in the Madison "hills" in 44/15 that any more gear would just be crazy.

On the flip side, some chick in an Ironman jersey was stopped with me at a red light yesterday and expressed the fact that she was impressed with my track stand. Personally, I was more impressed by her 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 run, but whatever works for her.

To answer the inevitable question, yes, she gave me head at the stoplight.

Ive ridden 48/15 for a few months and it was great while i was in tampa for a little, but now im going to college in providence and im dieing on these huge hills. If you're in a flat area its a decent ratio

On the flip side, some chick in an Ironman jersey was stopped with me at a red light yesterday and expressed the fact that she was impressed with my track stand. Personally, I was more impressed by her 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 run, but whatever works for her.

To answer the inevitable question, yes, she gave me head at the stoplight.

That's exactly what I was wondering once I saw the word chick!

a question for you bike geeks -- i'm making the switch from bmx-sized bikes to road bikes for the purpose of commuting; would a trek 1.5 be recommended? a buddy at work is giving me a great deal on one that he describes as "almost new and a great bike." riding is his big thing so i know he's not shitting me. as long as it feels good, go with it, right? i don't know the first thing about road bikes, but again, it's an incredible deal and i'd rather not pass it up unless there are serious complaints about this model.

Ive ridden 48/15 for a few months and it was great while i was in tampa for a little, but now im going to college in providence and im dieing on these huge hills. If you're in a flat area its a decent ratio

yea, i'm in boston. i've been fine with 48/16 for a while, but honestly i've been riding so much lately i think i'm becoming stronger. I don't really ride too far out of the city, and i can handle all the hills i hit daily withought problem (beacon, comm ave for any locals) so that's what i'm thinking

i did just find my 15 tooth cog, so i think i'm gonna throw it on for a couple days to test the waters. i need do some maintenance on my drivetrain, i.e. replace it, so i might just go to 50/16 for a happy medium.

and sorry, didn't read it before, but thanks for all the condolences on the fall. my hands are much better today after omitting my long ride yesterday and just commuting.

How hard is it to convert a bike with vertical dropouts?

Is it worth it or should I just purchase a cheap frame?

You won't be able to tension the chain properly with a vertical dropout. Save yourself the headache and just get a frame with a track dropout or find an old road bike with horizontal dropouts.

Do all riser bars have kind of a bend to them?

.. like not the rise bend, but like... towards you .. (vs like a straight bar with a rise)

and any recommendations for a cheapish low profile saddle? (there were like 14 pages worth of saddle in this thread and I couldn't read em all)