Bicyclettes

canice

Do all riser bars have kind of a bend to them?

.. like not the rise bend, but like... towards you .. (vs like a straight bar with a rise)

and any recommendations for a cheapish low profile saddle? (there were like 14 pages worth of saddle in this thread and I couldn't read em all)

The word you are looking for is "sweep."

More sweep is generally more comfortable. The Nitto risers have none. Flat bars have sweep only, no rise. Some bars have more than others; some as little as 2-3º, some as much as 15º.

The word you are looking for is "sweep."

More sweep is generally more comfortable. The Nitto risers have none. Flat bars have sweep only, no rise. Some bars have more than others; some as little as 2-3º, some as much as 15º.

Old Nitto bar do have slight sweep to it...but the new one dont.

So I need to switch up my cycle shirt/jersey. I've been looking at the Ralpha Fixed T, which is basically what I want, but not too crazy about their colors/style. Basically what I need is a technical (moisture-wicking, anti-bacterial, etc.) t shirt, with a pocket to carry the house key + some cards/cash.

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=489

Any experience? Their website doesn't list any retail partner in SoCal....

Know of something better? What does everyone ride in? Regular shirts?

i thought it was kinda sped up no?

lol, they seem to be running 42's x something?

confirmation??

Probably even smaller than that. The MASH dudes are mostly from SF, I think, so the hills would be pretty rough. And there are some bad hills in Austin, too...which is where that video was shot.

Know of something better? What does everyone ride in? Regular shirts?

Rapha's too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. I commute in a light baselayer and a light short-sleeve button down shirt. Not sure how I came up with that combo, but it works, and I don't feel like an asshole when I stop to get some breakfast. cards and cash go in a Jimi wallet in breast pocket. keys go wherever they fit.

are there any universally-recommended clipless pedals out there i can order online? local bike shop websites only have cleat pedals and i don't have much free time to spend going down there to talk/look.

i'm thinking of picking up some baselayers from REI. if you want to be "hip", i suppose you can go here:

http://www.swrvestore.com/

the hoody looks nice though.

If anyone is planning to make an order from Swrve, it might be a good idea to check out tarckbike.com. They're about to do a group buy where most/all of the Swrve catalog is on sale + its just a pretty kickass community.

i think the only things that can really enhance your riding ability outside of professional racing would be the following:

• a helmet takes worry off so you ride faster

• bike shorts save your gooch

• bike shoes/pedals provide superior pedaling

• wicking layer for comfort

• gloves for hand comfort

• sunglasses/clears for better vision

anything else is steez points. don't fool yourself.

i want to wear something that isnt going to improve my riding ability but tells everybody HEY I RIDE A FIXED GEAR!

buy some Bianchi and Colnago shirts and wear bike socks with everything.

a chrome bag will do the trick too.

i think the only things that can really enhance your riding ability outside of professional racing would be the following:

• a helmet takes worry off so you ride faster

• bike shorts save your gooch

• bike shoes/pedals provide superior pedaling

• wicking layer for comfort

• gloves for hand comfort

• sunglasses/clears for better vision

anything else is steez points. don't fool yourself.

Yeah, those Zipp Sub9's matched with 1080's probably won't increase your speed 1-2 mph.

(10)

im close to buying the Bianchi Via Narone.. is that a good buy? just the standard aluminum frame with shimano errthang i think. compact gearz. i wanna tackle hills and shit without spending more than a grand.

good buy?? i would like some advice.

Probably even smaller than that. The MASH dudes are mostly from SF, I think, so the hills would be pretty rough. And there are some bad hills in Austin, too...which is where that video was shot.

False, none of those guys are pushing anything smaller than 46t up front. Funny thing about hills is that you have to go down as well as up and those guys definitely have the juice to go up hills with a steep ratio, which they need to hit the speeds they do. Also, if you look at what chainrings they are using, most of them are only available down to 46t with a couple exceptions down to 44t.

im close to buying the Bianchi Via Narone.. is that a good buy? just the standard aluminum frame with shimano errthang i think. compact gearz. i wanna tackle hills and shit without spending more than a grand.

My girlfriend had one for awhile...it wasn't bad for the price, but if you have a friend who knows their way around bikes, you would be way better off picking up a good deal off craigslist or some other second hand source. Buying a geared bike new for under 2 grand or so usually means all sorts of compromises that you don't have to make if you pick up something second-hand.

Can you get that for <$1000?

Don't buy a bike with Sora. Don't get a road bike with a triple. Bianchi's look great and are nice frames, but are generally more expensive than similar bikes from bike lines carried by US distributors like Trek, Felt, or Cannondale.

I definitely think one should factor in a bike's looks/love as a factor in their price/use/performance decision making as the make-or-breaker. You need to at least like if not love a bike to ride it all the time.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with this ride if you can get it for a price you can live with, I loved the ride of my Bianchi road bike.

My girlfriend had one for awhile...it wasn't bad for the price, but if you have a friend who knows their way around bikes, you would be way better off picking up a good deal off craigslist or some other second hand source. Buying a geared bike new for under 2 grand or so usually means all sorts of compromises that you don't have to make if you pick up something second-hand.

I've checked craigslist and basically.. nobody has anything.. i've been checking for a few months off and on lol everyone is keeping their bikes around here. at least in my size.

Can you get that for <$1000?

Don't buy a bike with Sora. Don't get a road bike with a triple. Bianchi's look great and are nice frames, but are generally more expensive than similar bikes from bike lines carried by US distributors like Trek, Felt, or Cannondale.

I definitely think one should factor in a bike's looks/love as a factor in their price/use/performance decision making as the make-or-breaker. You need to at least like if not love a bike to ride it all the time.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with this ride if you can get it for a price you can live with, I loved the ride of my Bianchi road bike.

I can get this bike for around $900 i believe. it does have sora though. im not into bianchi neccesarily for teh lookz.

could i get somethign better from Trek for the same price?