Bicyclettes

canice

The most important difference between fixies and regular bikes is that fixies don’t let you coast. Why wouldn’t you want to coast, you may ask? “It’s like a zen thing,” explained [insert your name here], an American Apparel sales clerk, filmmaker, graduate student, and fixed-gear aficionado. “You feel totally connected to the bike. It’s like taking the stairs versus riding an escalator.”

Okay, but what about the part about not having brakes? While some fixed-gear riders do use brakes, others eschew them and instead slow their bikes by locking their legs and skidding. [insert your name here], a bartender, filmmaker, musician, and fixed-gear aficionado explained, “It forces you to pay more attention and to stay a step ahead while you’re riding. Instead of playing my iPod at full blast and only looking a car or two ahead, I keep the volume lower and look all the way to the next intersection. I feel much more like an integral part of what’s going on around me. It’s like a zen thing. You feel totally connected to the bike.”

Credit to he who traverses the Big Skanky.

yeah that super pista is looking real good..

anyone here hit the trails?

heres my monocog 29er

thomson x4

1111mg.jpg

avid bb5s

40305212.jpg

96650864.jpg

111qz.jpg

ive been riding cross country and using this as a commuter while i build up another track bike.

anyone into dirt jumping? ive been riding my buddies p1 on the dirt jumps and i figured its time to get one for some jump/street riding.

i ordered the eastern thunderbird. im super excited!

bi284r01_blue.jpg

i've always been curious about the small plastic/rubber tube thats covering a small portion of your toptube. wuts it made of and why should it be there?

it's a small tobtube protector, so you can't get dents from your stem or handlebar.

i think it's just plastic and a small metal plate.

a friend uses handlebartape, which works fine and is much cheaper than this kashimax thing. :)

i was accosted by some middle aged dude outside the freight elevator at work... he was giving me stick for having straps on an 18 speed hybrid and saying he got the same ones for his fixie at home. i told him i was too old to ride fixed gear.

the world is quite strange sometimes... who knows, maybe he's reading this threak right now?

man, I'm sure none of you want to read about my silly dilemma but,

I got these expensive black 25.4 rb021s that i kind of want to leave untaped (for tha ladiezzz (actually for an NJS show-y weekend bike I've got) but i want to use them for a century i've got coming up.

Options:

A. Gloves (Tan lines :( )

B. Tape em up (residue :( not steezy [n/a if you think untaped bars are retarded])

C. Buy a stem for a 26.0 horn setup that I don't mind wrapping

D. Ride em untaped! (pain)

E. Ride narrow risers and cry

I'm actually leaning towards option E..

Options:

A. Gloves (Tan lines :( )

B. Tape em up (residue :( not steezy [n/a if you think untaped bars are retarded])

C. Buy a stem for a 26.0 horn setup that I don't mind wrapping

D. Ride em untaped! (pain)

E. Ride narrow risers and cry

I'm actually leaning towards option E..

A. Who cares?

B. Acetone or a similar product will take care of any residue.

C. More options with a 26.0 anyway, I would prob go this route.

D. No

E. I'm with ML, risers are just awkward.

I have an NJS bike with the stupid proprietary 25.4 stem, and I am in a similar situation as u (I have drops and they suck). I will prob go with C.

hi guys, thought I'd quickly check about bikes in Paris. I'll be there for approximately five months, and am hoping to pick up something to ride while I'm there as opposed to dragging my bike across the Atlantic. I've checked the Paris craigslist and the pickings seem incredibly limited. can anyone recommend bike shops/websites to look for a secondhand fixed gear in paris? if it makes a difference, I'm looking to spend 300-400 euro and need something in the 56-58 range size wise.

hi guys, thought I'd quickly check about bikes in Paris. I'll be there for approximately five months, and am hoping to pick up something to ride while I'm there as opposed to dragging my bike across the Atlantic. I've checked the Paris craigslist and the pickings seem incredibly limited. can anyone recommend bike shops/websites to look for a secondhand fixed gear in paris? if it makes a difference, I'm looking to spend 300-400 euro and need something in the 56-58 range size wise.

check the guys @ cyclope.

great guys.

not sure if they have something in your price range, but i'm sure they'll help you out...

or just ask on the message board @ pignon fixe

cheers

edit:

or just check your flight?!

on most transatlantic flights you can travel with your bike for free.