Bicyclettes

canice

I can't help but hate all of these companies popping up selling "customizable" fixed gears where they just let you change the colors of the components. It just screams hipster trend to me. Not meaning to offend anyone here, but put your money towards quality, not just a bike that looks good because it has a cool color scheme. The parts they use are very generic. If you're new to bikes, I would stay away from those kind of sites if at all possible because you wont get a "quality" bike.

Atleast that Mojo one uses chro-mo frames. Most of the other sites I've seen that are exactly like that all use hi-ten. Avoid hi-tensile steel frames. They're cheap because theyre heavy.

To make this not a totally useless post, I'll say that there are a lot of reputable bike brands that have come out with entry level fixed gear bikes in the $500-700 range that are VERY good. Bianchi, Raleigh, Kona, Schwinn, Fuji, SE bikes, the Bikesdirect bikes, a few other brands I probably missed. With a little research it is easy to find options. I don't know what the market is like in Australia, so I cant really comment on availability, etc.

totally new to the bike world. thinking about this:

http://www.mojobike.com.au/build/

could i get something better for an entry level bike?

If you're totally totally new, I would probably recommend that your first bike NOT be a fixed gear.

There's lots of decent geared bikes that you can pick up for fairly reasonable prices.

I can't help but hate all of these companies popping up selling "customizable" fixed gears where they just let you change the colors of the components. It just screams hipster trend to me. Not meaning to offend anyone here, but put your money towards quality, not just a bike that looks good because it has a cool color scheme. The parts they use are very generic. If you're new to bikes, I would stay away from those kind of sites if at all possible because you wont get a "quality" bike.

Atleast that Mojo one uses chro-mo frames. Most of the other sites I've seen that are exactly like that all use hi-ten. Avoid hi-tensile steel frames. They're cheap because theyre heavy.

To make this not a totally useless post, I'll say that there are a lot of reputable bike brands that have come out with entry level fixed gear bikes in the $500-700 range that are VERY good. Bianchi, Raleigh, Kona, Schwinn, Fuji, SE bikes, the Bikesdirect bikes, a few other brands I probably missed. With a little research it is easy to find options. I don't know what the market is like in Australia, so I cant really comment on availability, etc.

urban outfitters sells a fixed-gear bicycle. All you do is pick colors. :rolleyes:

urban outfitters sells a fixed-gear bicycle. All you do is pick colors. :rolleyes:

Yeah I've seen that. A distant friend of mine bought one of their bikes and I was like nyaghhhhhhhhhhh but she bought one of the cruisers and not a fixed gear anyway so a little less horrible, but still. I tried to be like dun do it girl, but we're not that close so I couldn't really sway her.

If you're totally totally new, I would probably recommend that your first bike NOT be a fixed gear.

There's lots of decent geared bikes that you can pick up for fairly reasonable prices.

I learned to ride on a fixed gear. Its not that hard. Free wheel seems weird to me ha ha.

Lol at Urban Outfitters selling bikes. Glue store here in Aus sells bikes as well.

looking forward to hearing an update once your bike arrives. i'm thinking about ordering an angus right now too, because that $400 is almost to good to pass up and i really need a new bike

that sale will end before you know it. If you want this kind of bike anyway, the deal IS too good to pass up. Grab it as soon as you can.

that sale will end before you know it. If you want this kind of bike anyway, the deal IS too good to pass up. Grab it as soon as you can.

yeah, i'm just trying to decide between the angus and the phoenix right now. kind of leaning towards the phoenix because it can accept bigger tires (up to 38c, 32c w/ fenders). and the phoenix comes in blue, which is kinda sick

yeah. I have a friend that has a blue Phoenix. I have ridden it briefly and it fits and feels remarkably different than my Mark V (same geo as the Angus). The geometry is significantly more relaxed than the Angus and feels much more relaxed. More like you are sitting, like a cruiser. It is a single speed commuter, not a track bike. So if you want traditional track geometry and the stiff, tight handling (im struggling for vocabulary here) then I wouldn't advise getting the Pheonix. But, if that isn't what you are looking for (most people aren't) then by all means, go for the Pheonix.

yeah, ideally i'd like to get a size 60 phoenix, but they're currently out of stock. i emailed them to see if they'll be getting any more in soon... and if not i might just go with the angus because i can get it in a proper size. i've read in a few places that iro sizing is kind of weird and they actually run small to the tagged size, so i could probably roll a 62 angus. i'm 6'3" with a 33ish inseam (i'm top tall. tall torso.)

i wouldn't mind the tighter geometry, as you said... i just like the idea of being able to run larger tires and fenders if i wanted. the phoenix seems like a poor man's steamroller (which i would love to get, but the msrp on the 2011 model is like $800!)

edit: well, shit. might be going with the angus then

Thank you for your interest in Irocycle. Unfortunately we are not expecting them back in stock anytime in the near future. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Nicole

Irocycle, Inc.

Middleburg, PA.570-809-9335

www.irocycle.com

I'm 6'2" and no IRO is large enough for me, I owned one before, still needed a bunch of stack and 140mm stem.

Short wheelbase (or ""tight"" as everyone likes to say, erroneously) is not the same as using too small of a bike.

IRO's are fine for what they are, but they are not fine bikes. Powdercoated, inexpensive bikes that look and feel the part. But if you're just going to beat it up to get around, why the hell not. But you won't get chicks on an IRO.

IRO's are fine for what they are, but they are not fine bikes. Powdercoated, inexpensive bikes that look and feel the part. But if you're just going to beat it up to get around, why the hell not. But you won't get chicks on an IRO.

I don't understand any of this. "feel the part" "won't get chicks on it." ????

I don't believe they feel inexpensive. My $1,000 Giant was an absolute pain in the ass from day one. My $400 IRO has been a dream. Maybe it didn't work for you because it didn't fit?