Bicyclettes

canice

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but please forgive me.

I'm looking for a good starter bike, preferably with flip flop hubs. It'd be for commuting to and from school, to MMA, and from the burbs to the city so I'd be using it quite a lot. I'd like to keep my budget at or below $400 if possible.

Any recommendations?

I've got an old 1970's something supercycle that I was considering converting / reparting, but then I realized it's a piece of shit.

Wow, wayoutwest + rep. Those really do look pretty good. Unless anybody has objections I believe I'm going to go with one of those.

Does anybody know how to install disc breaks on a single speed? I've only used them on my mountain bike, but I figure it'd be good for rainy weather and for those really long commutes that need a lot of breaking. I'm thinking just one on the front tire.

OUT. OF. SHAPE.

Rode roughly 6-7 miles and I was TIRED AS FUCK.

Current status of bike:

04486dfd.jpg

Swapped B123s for stock Bianchi Pista Bars (best ever.)

Crud Catchers. Front is too tight.

Still finna gotta figure out how to remove the cranks (stripped to hell, spacing it too tight to fit a wedge in, without pressing against the DT. I have a way, but I gotta make time for it.) Switch to Sugino 75s I have laying around.

Then finna rebuild Pista to a cruiser.

ANYONE STILL FIXIE

Ugly is as ugly am do :/

The sticker on the downtube that says "going no where fast" is a cool one, so it stays.

DT sticker near HT is og Superfuture sticker from the lovely yungleyanes chest balls. So that stays.

DT BB sticker is sisters bf/exbf t-shirt line, so its there.

I enjoy the Rebel 8 HT/Fork stickers.

There's a couple of stickers I could do without, but am lazy.

Lower profiling wheelset and should be set.

Wow, wayoutwest + rep. Those really do look pretty good. Unless anybody has objections I believe I'm going to go with one of those.

Does anybody know how to install disc breaks on a single speed? I've only used them on my mountain bike, but I figure it'd be good for rainy weather and for those really long commutes that need a lot of breaking. I'm thinking just one on the front tire.

Yep, you can get aftermarket mounts, but most forks aren't stiff enough to handle the hub centered, single side torque. You'd only be able to use mechanical brakes w/ road levers anyhow, if you're into that. Use a disc-only fork, and a frame that suits the high crown of said fork.

While I understand and respect the appreciation you've gained from their superiority offroad, the 700c road application isn't necessary nor gainly. A fine quality caliper brake and judiciously selected brake pads allow for all the modulation and braking one should ever need on a 700c bike.

The larger, slimmer rim and lesser tire volume brakes more quickly with more modulation anyhow. Even using soft pads and 1200+mi./mo., it's taken me more than 8mos. even with the fastest wearing pads I've had.

what do you guys think i can get for my bike? am i dreaming if i ask for $1,500?

it's got:

- columbus thron tubing

- 9 speed dura-ace derailleurs, cog set, brakes (not sure what year)

- carbon fsa crank

- spinergy spox hubs / wheels

- weyless carbon fork

- chris king headset

- ritchey pro handlebar stem

- 3ttt forma handlebar

- controltech seat post (made in USA which my brother says is hard to find these days)

- specialized toupe ti143 seat

thanks!

4390916564_c3ea6d13be.jpg

4390146387_864a53d484.jpg

4391044686_822e951a1d.jpg

4390277089_3c4d0719b5.jpg

Dunno if you're in Hawaii still or not.

Old components, wheels I'd have to be high to ride, no brand caché. I'd say maybe like a G, but different if still in Hawaii.

If it were my bike, I'd part it out inc. headset, but your choice. Regardless, lose the cheap pedals and bottle cage, it cheapens the whole bike which is quite nice.

Dunno if you're in Hawaii still or not.

Old components, wheels I'd have to be high to ride, no brand caché. I'd say maybe like a G, but different if still in Hawaii.

If it were my bike, I'd part it out inc. headset, but your choice. Regardless, lose the cheap pedals and bottle cage, it cheapens the whole bike which is quite nice.

sweet - thanks for the reality check. 2 local higher end bike shops here in san diego said close to what you're saying too - between $1K - $1.4K.

don't really want to part out the bike since i'm too lazy to sell all the parts individually.

cheers.

OUT. OF. SHAPE.

Rode roughly 6-7 miles and I was TIRED AS FUCK.

Current status of bike:

04486dfd.jpg

Swapped B123s for stock Bianchi Pista Bars (best ever.)

Crud Catchers. Front is too tight.

Still finna gotta figure out how to remove the cranks (stripped to hell, spacing it too tight to fit a wedge in, without pressing against the DT. I have a way, but I gotta make time for it.) Switch to Sugino 75s I have laying around.

Then finna rebuild Pista to a cruiser.

ANYONE STILL FIXIE

Waaay in the dropouts, lose a link or three! What pedals are you running? Gotta swap shoes everywhere you go?

Waaay in the dropouts, lose a link or three! What pedals are you running? Gotta swap shoes everywhere you go?

Shit, I've been running the same chain for like... 2 years?

Couldn't take out a link, or else the tire would sit on the brake bridge (28Rando.) I finna buy a new chain, and throw on my cheapo wheel *17t*, and get it sitting tight. Might need to switch up the tire though.

Using Time Atacs. Usually now when I ride... I ride to get some distance in, not go from place to place. But if I ride to like the store or something, I'll just walk in with my shoes. Even though I sound like tap dance.