Kato denim

Neilfuji

hello,

as a few of you have asked I just wanted to say the first part of our archive is open now, I'll be working on the rest over the next few weeks...sorry if it's a bit basic but we're just trying it out and will polish it up as we go along, any and all comments are welcome

www.bomberairport.co.uk follow the links

thanks

Neil

Hello Colelawyum,

sorry we're still working on the site/archive, but if you see something there you like use the link on the main page, or if you let me know where you live I'll let you know if there is a stockest in your area

thanks

Neil

Hello Cole,

we have a stockist in NYC, If Soho, there downtown, only carry a little and I do not know there price point, i'm out of the office right now but will post there phone number as soon as I'm back, the archive has been down most of today, sorry about that, but will be running (kind of) now

all the prices include PP worldwide so if you can't find it at If then we're happy to help

thanks

Neil

hi,

yes there are but we're still working on the store part of the site, it is a work in progress so please bear with us, it a new thing for the company and we're only selling archive product,

give us a week

Neil

Hey Tweedlesinpink,

someone some how changed the pictures to another denim brand, we've taken it all down and are starting again, it's not a bad thing it all need to be upgraded anyway.

I found out first thing this morning and I think I know who it was, the UK 'fashion' industry is full of little boys playing at being grown ups, don't worry it will be harder to hack this time and hopefully look a lot better too

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You're so not alone on this....I think most of us in here have done it at some point, I have verbal skills (limted to my needs and denim) but do not read Japanese, never got my head around kanji, I'll get my wife to look at this if you want, she loves my denim "problem' as she calls it

with Kato, we work to a season base with the shirting and Jackets but the jeans is kind of when and where we're happy with them, the stores work on the season for there buying but there are a few that understand the process better and buy at the release times, some of it as with many small denim brands in the production times, with the weaving process included in that it can take time to develop what we trying to do, with Kato san it also a question of geting perfect which does take time

Neil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The rise of the Kato thread!

Just recieved the buckleback version from Superdenim:

(http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=25)

and one of the few questions Lewis couldn't answer was if they were hank or rope dyed. The price would suggest ropedyeing, but they seem so similar to my jomons in both fabric and color that i'm not sure.

So can anyone help me out?

I'm crossing my hands for ropedyed so i can parallel-participate in the Dry Bones contest!

The rise of the Kato thread!

Just recieved the buckleback version from Superdenim:

(http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=25)

and one of the few questions Lewis couldn't answer was if they were hank or rope dyed. The price would suggest ropedyeing, but they seem so similar to my jomons in both fabric and color that i'm not sure.

So can anyone help me out?

I'm crossing my hands for ropedyed so i can parallel-participate in the Dry Bones contest!

hello Opie,

it's Hank dyed, using an older process they dip direct into the indigo fermenting pot rather than straining the dye before use.

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2007/12/kato-in-sweden.html

Neil

Damn, you still around?

Well that means goodbye to contest and hello to the cheapest pair of hankdyed jeans i've ever laid my eyes upon. Can you tell us how many dips?

Also very interested in if the chambray waistcoat still exists somewhere out there in a size xs?

Edit:

just read the page.

"One of the most interesting things is that almost all colors used to color Kato's fabrics come from nature. This because they simply found that these colors yielded the best results and not because of some environmentalist fad."

Made my day!

chambray shirt - in fact kato shirting are all pretty much individual pieces of art as well.

tried on some of the older models of the jeans in singapore and had my mind blown. i couldn't find anything in the store that fit me (all ridiculously big) but the crazy loose threads, unorthodox pocket shapes and above all the colour and texture of the denim had me sold.

Opie, are you in the UK? any idea if these are sold anywhere in london?

Nah, i wish. Right now i'm in China (You know of any retailers in Shanghai?), but last time i saw Kato back home in Denmark was in magazin in copenhagen.

I had the same experience as you regarding the sizing though. Everything was to large. I'm normaly a smedium, and i would have been perfect in a xs.

That's why i was so happy to find a pair of size 28 (real 29) of these.

I'll have some pics up by tommorow btw.

Kato rising!

Glad to see the Kato interest is growing - I'm wearing my bucklebacks ( kindly given by Lewis at superdenim after I loaned my other pair to a Denim exhibition!)

The sizing is a bit on the big side but the denim is amazing and I really like the unfinishedness of the hanging threads...i've been wearing these since the end of the summer - no sign of any fading - the dye is so deep in the denim.

...I really like the collection shown on repeattofade - would love to get some shirts and a jacket....

Damn, you still around?

Well that means goodbye to contest and hello to the cheapest pair of hankdyed jeans i've ever laid my eyes upon. Can you tell us how many dips?

Also very interested in if the chambray waistcoat still exists somewhere out there in a size xs?

Edit:

just read the page.

"One of the most interesting things is that almost all colors used to color Kato's fabrics come from nature. This because they simply found that these colors yielded the best results and not because of some environmentalist fad."

Made my day!

Hello Opie,

Yes, I'm still around.....;-)) been on a bit of a hiatus working on another collection with a new concept label, but Kato' is still my passion, I simple don't get to answer/respond to all the posts, sorry but it hard enough keeping the development and standards going, happy to hear you've not forgotten about us.....

we drip as many times as it takes to get the colour right, is the simple answer, because we use a drip and lock process it takes time to get the depth of colour and over night dips allow deeper dyeing....long and very enjoyable process, spend way to much time in the dye houses...relaxing

hi Tweeds, how are you? sorry I've been away for so long, will try harder

slowdownarther, happy to hear you're enjoying the jeans, the idea of the incomplete thread is part of the whole 'tool project' idea, the jeans are not finished until you finish them we all wear our denim to destruction that wear and that life we give the cloth is part of the garment, more so than the 'finished' garment leaving the factory

thank you for your kind words

Neil

Opie, are you in the UK? any idea if these are sold anywhere in london?

Sold at...

The Library, 268 Brompton Road, London, SW3 2AS, 020 7589 6569

Start London, 59 Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3QQ, 020 7739 8302