Denim in Singapore

tweeds

I feel that Fred perry and the things selling in Club 21 are too overprice by 50% and more. .. .. you guys should try travelling more.. Even london is selling Fred Perry like half the price of the laurel shop.. heh. Club 21 well I dont hav to eleborate. I dont understand why they have to mark up sooo high when most of the people who buy these things travel anyway ?? Too bad for the people that dont travel then.. heeee :P

I feel that Fred perry and the things selling in Club 21 are too overprice by 50% and more. .. .. you guys should try travelling more.. Even london is selling Fred Perry like half the price of the laurel shop.. heh. Club 21 well I dont hav to eleborate. I dont understand why they have to mark up sooo high when most of the people who buy these things travel anyway ?? Too bad for the people that dont travel then.. heeee :P

As for mark ups, some goods are marked up high in Club 21 some are not. During sale when its 50% off, I can tell they are about the same as if you get it from elsewhere like Hong Kong who also have 50% sale.

Try and incorporate the cost of travelling in the cost of your purchase. It's pretty much the same thing.

Well of course you cant do that. If you incorporate the cost of travelling, it will far exceed whatever savings you get from buying the clothes unless you buy in massive amounts. I just treat the travelling expenses as part of holiday expenses and savings from buying clothes a separate issue altogether.

Not denim related, but a heads up for those who might be interested to stock up on underwear. Calvin Klein underwear (both the basic Body and Pima range only, it seems) were at 50% when I was in Tangs VivoCity.

As CK underwear is a controlled price item, I'm guessing this applies at all major retailers. Time to grab now - note that when departmental stores have 20% storewide sales, CK is always sold at nett. Good denim deserves good underwear.

When I asked about the new Steel range, the sales guy drew a blank. :confused:

Thanks Simon. Just went to vivo today and got some trunk @ $22.50. For those who interested must go and check it out. Most of the underwear still have full size...

P.S -Saw some guys wearing some raw denim with a small leather patch on the right back pocket. Just wondering what are those?

I may have to agree with beast. Just because you have to factor in your travelling cost doesn't make it reasonable for retailers here to mark up their prices like no tomorrow. And please don't tell me about exchange rates, because it doesn't work that way. Prices are about the same between Singapore and Hong Kong, from lower-end stuff to high end shit. The differences? SG is always (or mostly) behind time. Take Espirit, for example, the sale in HKG is 'New Arrival' in SG. You're still paying S$89 for a fucking casual shirt (depending on where you are, HKG or SG, at a given time), which, if we're fortunate, is almost 2 months late! A season, in weather terms, is 3 months, baby! Then I saw the Nike A/W 2007 Zoom collection in HKG about 1 month before it hit our shores ....

Anyone tried Joyce, I.T. & Lane Crawford in HKG? Probably, just the labels these 3 carry are more than the whole of SG put together! And for a lot of the labels, they come in full collection in HKG. Even J.M. Weston almost sent me to orgasm. Then I saw John Lobb ......

I remember vividly about 6 Sisley shirts I saw in Paris in 2004. I only saw 3 of them at the then Paragon boutique. Checked with the guys there and confirmed that Sisley here only carried 3 of the 6 designs. Shame. I shall not go into the price.

What I'm trying to say is that, here in SG, things are frequently over-priced. Variety limited, and stocks arrive slower. Yet, consumers are not paying anywhere cheaper. Finding quality stuff at reasonable prices in SG, is, to me, quite a challenge as well. You've tried Uniqlo, so I'm sure you know.

Anyone buys from Gap here? Or Banana Republic? Where's H&M? Do you know that F.I.L. in HKG is really pretty cool? CDG White House, MMM, Take5 & even The North Face, to name a few more ......

Want to know some of the places my kid sister brought me to, where she normally shops (girls' stuff)? I almost fainted, and I believe it's only the tip of the iceberg ......

SG, Shopping Paradise? You're on the wrong island, boy .......

Ive never had a problem with variety in Singapore. I think we stock quite a good range of clothing labels. But the consumer market for these is so much smaller than say, hong kong, of course you're going to have to pay higher prices. I find the Club 21 sales to be quite good when theres 50% off. And if youre looking for rarer stuff, Shipping to Singapore from Japan is cheaper than to America. If you keep comparing yourself to Hong kong or Japan, youre never going to be satisfied. But we're alot better off than many other places.

and i think you can find some april 77 in queen's couture.

hungryalien- Thanks man. Do they have any april77 raw denim? I saw they have some colourful jeans and look really skinny.

Btw, anybody looking for swear shoes can drop down to Tang @ vivo. They have some new arrival and looks really cool.

lek! stop worsening my hatred towards singapore. we even have to be conscripted for 2 damn years. nothing to buy here, nothing to see here.

hahahahaaa .... oops, sorry test ..... :P ... You know, I only miss the people I know when I'm away from Singapore, other than that, no. Sorry, I guess it's just me. I'm a shopper, so the retail market just bore the bloody hell out of me ....

Ive never had a problem with variety in Singapore. I think we stock quite a good range of clothing labels. But the consumer market for these is so much smaller than say, hong kong, of course you're going to have to pay higher prices. I find the Club 21 sales to be quite good when theres 50% off. And if youre looking for rarer stuff, Shipping to Singapore from Japan is cheaper than to America. If you keep comparing yourself to Hong kong or Japan, youre never going to be satisfied. But we're alot better off than many other places.

If the consumer market is small, it's because people are not buying, because stuff are expensive. By expensive, I mean if you consider the money you pay for the quality of an item. Food included. I don't believe that having lesser people means a smaller market.

We know business must make profits, but haven't you notice, over the years, the increasing number of them capable of giving you 50, or 70% discount? It simply means they have been over-charging, my dear. If they can still profit from a 50% discount, what does it tell you?

Yes, I must agree, that our postal service is pretty good and reliable, though the price is also rising. Buy more from overseas and observe. Yes, it's still cheaper, but that doesn't mean just because the US and Japan are more expensive, Singapore has to follow.

If you are going to become better, to compete, to be (one of) THE shopping paradise 'in the region' ('in the world' can wait), you cannot improve by comparing yourself to the worse. You got to look at the better, and try to beat them. Cost, Price & QUALITY, product, services, knowledge, etc. Don't be contented, even as a consumer. To ask for a better product, at a better price and enjoy a better service is also your consumer rights.

But I must say that I've had the recent privilege, blessing and lobang these couple of years, to have the chance of cheaper (and good) travel to HKG, Japan, and even Taiwan and the US (I haven't tried the US, though).

Favourite at the moment is HKG. About 5 times this past year. Only problem is I've got not enough money !!!! :mad:

^^ probably a need to differentiate b/w sg being a shopping paradise(i dont really agree with this) and a place where you can get the more niche market products(more swayed towards this perspective of sg)... I'm not in sg at the moment so it's probably clouding my judgement

my beef with variety would be abit broader... ... I don't like seeing a levi's flagship store in one mall, and then a levi's outlet in the mall right next to it, and another levi's outlet in the mall next to that one, and a levi's outlet section in the departmental store of the same mall as one which already has a levis outlet... ... i'd rather one flagship store in town and thats it. i know we can't help it...expansion, financial/sales growth yadda yadda, but dammit.

just curious.. how many of you guys actually ventured into fashion retail...andi'm not talking about working as an employee.

i would welcome the opinions.

cos there are many pitfalls in doing retail here in Singapore.

Unless you have money to burn...

For myself i really hope that there will more independant shops here too.

more shops=more options=more people moving away from the chains.

margins for shops like ours are low. trust me. and when we do 50% sales it means we are only getting our cost back. its not something we want to do ya?

and it saddens me to hear people going out to get things available here.

if thats the case maybe i should go online and wrap up the B&M store... Since i can provide "Cost, Price & QUALITY, product, services, knowledge," just as well from a laptop as from a store.

What is it exactly that people want to see in a Singaporean store?

is it also because when you worry too much about your monthly rentals and utility bills, you can't concentrate on your business? There are other factors to consider, I'm sure, but I just can't help seeing these 2 as a major eyesore to any business here ..... Funny thing is that rentals in Hong Kong, Taipei & Japan are high too. My S$4.00 fish porridge here has more porridge whereas my HK$20.00 fish porridge has more fish! WTF? :confused:

hungryalien- Thanks man. Do they have any april77 raw denim? I saw they have some colourful jeans and look really skinny.

hmm sorry didnt notice the last time i was there. but i think they have a rack full of april 77. so most likely they have more variety of those than their sugarcanes.

they also have ksubi. saw a nice pair thats black coated..

---

i also notice that they have almost the same stores around the malls of orchard road. so if you've been to one.. you've been to all. thats why i was glad i found heeren. where queen's couture and other smaller boutique stores are. but the variety of items/brands are not that many.

i did went to ha-ji lane too. but most of the stores were closed already..