Denim in Singapore

tweeds

styleofmind: if all else fails, you could always try the hotels in the heart ot town. pretty sure they do rent their ballrooms...

appreciated. but problem with that is i'll have to hire security, bartenders etc. DJ's i can handle but basically this event is from scratch. plus hotels tend to get a bit anal about cleaning bills and things like that.

plus theres the whole retarded smoking law. i mean... they impose such a high tax on cigarettes already, we more than pay our way in terms of health care and cleaners to get rid of smoking related trash [ie. cigarette butts, ash, air pollution] and they STILL try to regulate it.

i have it on a very good source [my friends father is the bastard health minister] that they're thinking of banning smoking in all public places. rationale being that a club is a public place. so why not extend it to other places?

soon we'll only be allowed to smoke in regulated places in our own homes. shits ridiculous i tell you.

not to mention they eventually want to ban smoking altogether. one day, tobacco will be in the same class of substances as fucking heroin. no wonder the youth of singapore rebel and want to leave.

1) free flow of alcohol - and when i say alcohol, i'm talking house champagne being moet et chandon, tap beer isn't the usual diluted tiger beer crap but kirin/stella artois kinda thing.

2) the organizers would get free rein of the event. ie. all the venue provides is the security, bartenders, catered alcohol etc.

Yup. Best bet to try hotel's function rooms.

Everything can be negotiated including top liquor and alcohol but of course you gotta pay more. If all else fails, you have to find event organisers but you would incur additional costs.

i cant find a travel in singapore thread or anything so i thought i'd just shoot and ask here.

supposing for new years eve, i needed to plan an event in singapore. with a SGD150 budget per person and a list of say... 200 people. would anyone have any ideas of where i could do this?

just a few criteria.

1) free flow of alcohol - and when i say alcohol, i'm talking house champagne being moet et chandon, tap beer isn't the usual diluted tiger beer crap but kirin/stella artois kinda thing.

2) the organizers would get free rein of the event. ie. all the venue provides is the security, bartenders, catered alcohol etc.

as you can imagine, i need the place to be super classy in a decent location, probably central. seeing as most of the people on this thread seem to have a decent idea of what's hot and not in singapore, i thought i'd ask. so please, holla back asap!

thanks a bunch

Sounds like a tall order to be honest, especially the central location plus classy joint and free flow of house champagne. I can think of a few venues you can get in touch with but yeah, don't know how much they will cost: Muse, Ink, Loof, Rochester (?), Little Bali (not central though), Wild Oats (small bar at Mt Emily, never been myself but would want to check it out), Blu Jazz (on Ophir Rd, restaurant downstairs, bar upstairs, very cosy and interesting decor), House (under Spa Esprit at Dempsey Rd., but have some teething problems with regards to service), Em Bar (the old Soundbar, maybe a bit passe now), err MOS (heard they have some bday package, maybe can negotiate the same thing), Timbre (just took over Q Bar's lot I believe, according to Life, otherwise there's the original at Substation). You'll have to double check capacity too. :D

Yup. Best bet to try hotel's function rooms.

Everything can be negotiated including top liquor and alcohol but of course you gotta pay more. If all else fails, you have to find event organisers but you would incur additional costs.

man thats going to be such a cunt to organize... how hard can it be to find a venue like that. sigh.

Sounds like a tall order to be honest, especially the central location plus classy joint and free flow of house champagne. I can think of a few venues you can get in touch with but yeah, don't know how much they will cost: Muse, Ink, Loof, Rochester (?), Little Bali (not central though), Wild Oats (small bar at Mt Emily, never been myself but would want to check it out), Blu Jazz (on Ophir Rd, restaurant downstairs, bar upstairs, very cosy and interesting decor), House (under Spa Esprit at Dempsey Rd., but have some teething problems with regards to service), Em Bar (the old Soundbar, maybe a bit passe now), err MOS (heard they have some bday package, maybe can negotiate the same thing), Timbre (just took over Q Bar's lot I believe, according to Life, otherwise there's the original at Substation). You'll have to double check capacity too. :D

mmm =\

i've been to some of the bars. not muse nor ink. loof.... its nice but its open air. if it pisses down on NYE i'm fucked. little bali, not central, scratch that. wild oats, if its small, scratch. blu jazz... sounds good but i want a lounge/club styled decor thingo. it IS after all going to be NYE. i remember soundbar being hella tacky but maybe they fixed up the decor.

mos on NYE? thats the whole reason im trying to plan this haha. to AVOID having to go to mos and deal with pretentious people.

and now that you've mentioned Q bar, i was wondering, has anyone been here before? i hear its not a bad place to go to. was thinking of checking it out next time i'm down.

but THANKS HEAPS for the input guys. really appreciate it. any more suggestions though? ideas people! you guys are the fashion elite of singapore. SURELY you'd have some idea of where you can rock your diors and skull jeans!

man thats going to be such a cunt to organize... how hard can it be to find a venue like that. sigh.

Not really. Just narrow down a few hotels and contact them. Many hotels have a thriving arm renting out rooms for seminars and weddings.

Getting waiters is not a problem.

Getting the food and drinks you want is not a problem, you just have to pay more. Getting security may be a problem because that aint exactly a norm. But hey, if you are gonna pay and you give them time, it can be done. Worst case scenario, the hotel will get some pimply teens to be your security for the day.

You can get those existing bars and restaurants but if you want them to close down for you close to NY eve, you better make it worth their while.

200 people with a 150 per person budget.

tentatively.

30 grand a night worth it?

i doubt they'd make that much. for 200 people especially.

Well, I wont know, bearing in mind your 150 pax actually includes the cost of your posh food so the net profit may work out to be much less for the operator. I bet the hotel or operator would insist you get the food through them.

But you best get a headstart, Singapore's economy is picking up and everyone is making and spending money. If you start too late, your party may be at some dingy part of Singapore instead of the central area.

i've been to some of the bars. not muse nor ink. loof.... its nice but its open air. if it pisses down on NYE i'm fucked. little bali, not central, scratch that. wild oats, if its small, scratch. blu jazz... sounds good but i want a lounge/club styled decor thingo. it IS after all going to be NYE. i remember soundbar being hella tacky but maybe they fixed up the decor.

mos on NYE? thats the whole reason im trying to plan this haha. to AVOID having to go to mos and deal with pretentious people.

and now that you've mentioned Q bar, i was wondering, has anyone been here before? i hear its not a bad place to go to. was thinking of checking it out next time i'm down.

Loof can also get a bit warm when it doesn't rain. Personally I like Blu Jaz so I recommend you check that out, and Q Bar has been replaced by Timbre if I remember the papers correctly.

Do they have fencing on that to prevent drunken revellers from falling off?

no, but that's part of the fun. the more people fall off the fewer the people having to share the alcohol...

to add on to kit's point...i think the national museum has held NYE bashes before

Places like the asian civilization museum has ballroom type spaces that can be rented. pretty, nice.

That's a good suggestion: I attended Tiger Beer's Jessica Alba campaign launch there, and a wedding there. You get an alresco area that is very nice.

Do they have fencing on that to prevent drunken revellers from falling off?

Reminds me of the Sentosa ZoukOut incident when people drowned :D

thanks a bunch guys. all this input is VERY VERY warmly appreciated. :D

its great to know that theres people out there who are still willing to help out.

on another note, with these drownings and shit... well lets see. some idiot probably got too drunk [too many LIIT's] or took too many.. substances and decided it'd be fun to go for a swim.

i realise this is pretty controversial but my point of view is that if you're stupid enough to do something like that, then... maybe you SHOULD be weeded out of the gene pool. i mean, its like finishing a bottle of bourbon and then going for a street race. not the smartest of ideas.

unless of course, he tripped, fell and drowned in knee deep water. in which case, my aplologies.

on another note, with these drownings and shit... well lets see. some idiot probably got too drunk [too many LIIT's] or took too many.. substances and decided it'd be fun to go for a swim.

i realise this is pretty controversial but my point of view is that if you're stupid enough to do something like that, then... maybe you SHOULD be weeded out of the gene pool. i mean, its like finishing a bottle of bourbon and then going for a street race. not the smartest of ideas.

unless of course, he tripped, fell and drowned in knee deep water. in which case, my aplologies.

Sentosa in Malay means Pulau Blakang Mati something something, which is like Island of Death and it was a place where the Japanese executed people. Sentosa does have its sordid history of hauntings. Hopefully, that wont kill the 2nd IR to be built there.

BTW not too long ago, a chap stepped on some poisonous stone fish in a Sentosa man-made lagoon and suffered long term effects from it. Can you beat that!

there is this place at 12 ann siang road, opposite frontrow. its called Screening Room. its actually a whole building which people book to hold events. u can book the building in floors of course, with the basement being a bar, the 1st floor a restaurant sort of thing, the 2nd floor a theatre, and at the top, a roof top bar.

email : [email protected]

tel : 6221 1694

fax : 6221 1695

www.screeningroom.com.sg

whats with the flathead hype?

seriously, there are other nice denim brands.. what abt denime or full count? and warehouse only RECENTLY started getting attention HERE.. why not try to bring in more sufu-obscure denim brands? i don't know if anyone here is in favor of it, but i think that would be a splendid idea, instead of hopping onto any recent bandwagon, etcetc.

whats with the flathead hype?

seriously, there are other nice denim brands.. what abt denime or full count? and warehouse only RECENTLY started getting attention HERE.. why not try to bring in more sufu-obscure denim brands? i don't know if anyone here is in favor of it, but i think that would be a splendid idea, instead of hopping onto any recent bandwagon, etcetc.

yeehar, "anti-everything thats going at fullspeed" out in effect.

which comes down to, what your sole purpose of selling shit is.

1. to downright make money.

or

2. to spread the word about mediocre fan based items to make them huge, and start the process again.

if you picked 1, then sell flatheads. if you picked 2, then bring in the obscure shit.

with that in place, its like asking: who would you rather be right now, the CEO of Levis or the CEO of lets say, warehouse.