superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a whole thread about repro furniture I think Mike Lowrey or someone started years ago. Probably worth giving that a read if you can find it. Short story is, construction won't be anywhere near as good and after sales warranty will be non existent, but as long as you don't mind that you'll save a ton of money and still have a *fairly* nice piece of furniture.

Anyone know about buying Eames reproductions? I am completely new to this and want to pick up a rocking chair. I just came across a place today that was selling them for $275 Canadian which seems too good to be true. However, I don't know why, because I'm a noob. Can anyone school me on the quality of designer furniture reproductions and what to look for?

i am in the same boat as you. a noob but i am willing to spend for a real rocker, but not sure if i like the new plastic ones. the knock off fiberglass ones i've played with at dania feels nicer than the plastic.

i really covet the upholstered vintage fiberglass ones, but i think i will have to hunt for those. yardsale has a nice one that i can't find a pic of.

we need a eames threak?

i am in the same boat as you. a noob but i am willing to spend for a real rocker, but not sure if i like the new plastic ones. the knock off fiberglass ones i've played with at dania feels nicer than the plastic.

i really covet the upholstered vintage fiberglass ones, but i think i will have to hunt for those. yardsale has a nice one that i can't find a pic of.

we need a eames threak?

1187974571_171a7adf5e_o.jpg

vintage fabric covered is the best, but tricky to find one esp in good condition because they can get ruined pretty easily. The side chair is vinyl, I guess that'd be ok for a rocker and probably easier to find.

Check first whether you can actually sit in a rocker or not. I bought one (early 70s, fibreglass, blue leathered...BEAUTIFUL) and realized after it arrived that the thing is breaking my back. I have another two chairs with exactly the same shell, but a normal base and I can hang around all evening in them...

• 1 month later...
Check first whether you can actually sit in a rocker or not. I bought one (early 70s, fibreglass, blue leathered...BEAUTIFUL) and realized after it arrived that the thing is breaking my back. I have another two chairs with exactly the same shell, but a normal base and I can hang around all evening in them...

Really all you need to do is toss a small cushion in there to fit into the small of your back and it's usable again.

• 2 weeks later...