MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

My girlfriend just bought me a pair of the Mr Freedom jeans for my birthday. I probably could have worn one size smaller, but right now (post soak) I have a good workwear fit. Now I need some Whites Boots to go with them!

One thing I really like about these jeans is the smell - the 50% sugarcane denim has a nice almost sweet smell.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was a totally unexpected present, but man was I floored. I will try to get some pictures; I am having a storage issue on my laptop at home, but if I can, I will get some shots uploaded during or after the weekend.

Because there is no yoke on these jeans, even worn loose, there is no hip flare. It's almost a trouser cut. I really like them. It's hard to be unobtrusive in them - if you wear them, people are going to notice. But that's cool. I fade the denim, the denim don't fade me.

-Jake

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Jake

Any pic's of those Mister Freedoms??

No, not yet. Stay tuned though...

-Jake

Cloudhand -

Nice! Did you get your true size? I have a more workewear fit with mine. Yours seem to fit slimmer than mine do.

-Jake

yes, true to size. 30. First I ordered size 28 but there was an error on the website, there were actually no 28s in stock. They woulda been way too tight.

They are pretty slim. Slimmer than I had expected but I am very happy with them. Like you said, Jake, the absence of the yoke eliminated any hip flare which was one of the reasons I had stayed away from more retro styled denim.

Midnight: they were pretty stiff but it's only 11oz denim. I did 2 hot soaks (shorter durations, I was afraid the waistband would tighten up too much) and they are not stiff anymore really. They are pretty itchy though. Kinda like burlap almost. Unfortunately the sugarcane smell went away after the hot soaks.

I don't really think there's anything to them that would make them difficult to "pull off." I don't like the red bias tape on the hems and I will probably replace them like Cotton Duck has. There is quite a bit of selvage showing which I had my doubts about at first, but I dig it now. The back pockets seem weird and I wouldn't put my wallet in them unless I had a leash attached to it. They are very nice to stick your hands into though! Chambray lined and all. To me they seem like nicely styled workwear jeans. I think if you can wear carhartts, you could totally wear the misterfreedoms.

The part I've found difficult to pull off with them is shoes. Retro style shoes are needed to really sell the look. Mine are pretty loose, but no hip flare. I probably could have gotten 34's, but I am fine with the loose workwear look. Also the extent to which I have to cuff them limits the look - though I'm 5'11", all my height is in my torso, and a 30 inseam means much cuffing!

But they are easy to wear with a t-shirt, and the lighter denim, though yes, it is initially scratchy, is at least excellent for summer.

-Jake

I do see what you mean with regards to shoes, but I think there are plenty of options still.

With regards to the lenght, as they are not chainstitched and have the bias tape, any tailor should be able to shorten them with ease.

They're not chainstitched under the bias tape? That's really great to know!

Normally I wear purcells or boots with them. I have some of the 1946 Converse Re-issues from a couple years ago that would also probably do quite nicely.

For some reason I think if I had a slimmer pair, 34's instead of 36's, I could wear them more easily, but since they fit how they do, I have to do the workwear look.

Any other shoe recommendations for them out there?

-Jake

Looking good Cloudhands, those are quite different than the KMW Rockers that I think I remember you having, maybe not though.

Cotton always looking good, since they didn't change much I am sure they have a ton of life left in them. Any developments on the Peacoat?

Is the fall line up going to have denim in a heavier weight? Really wished I lived in SF so I could go and see it.

Looking good Cloudhands, those are quite different than the KMW Rockers that I think I remember you having, maybe not though.

Yeah I usually do a workwear/mil surp type thing at work, and switch to a slimmer type of silhouette after. I've been rotating the KMW with the Warehouse contest jeans, but the WH have faded to a point where you can definitely see that they are very dirty. That's usually when I get tired of wearing the same jeans every day without washing them. I wanted to switch it up with a more repro-ish pair with details that I liked. I don't think they are perfect, but the MisterFreedoms are still pretty amazing.

question to cotton duck and bill.

in your fit pic on your mf 7161, how come you guys modified the hem of mf7161? imo the original hem looks more workwear like the one in the magazine.

Don't get me wrong, and I think I can speak for Bill in this aswell, we were both very fond of the cuffs, however, here's why I had to let them down on mine:

2179008801_3a1957ed81.jpg

The jeans only came in one length, and well, not everbody has the same leg length obviously...

I simply had to if I wanted to wear the jeans post shrinkage...

I had the opportunity to handle the SE/SC/MF line at Self Edge last week. I don't have anything new to add, but the clothes are quirky and unmistakably MF. It may be that I have been biased by the ORDO/CD pitch, but the clothes are appropriate for denizens of port cities; maybe costumey on landlubbers. A perfect line for Self Edge, and San Franciscans.

The fall collection will also be modeled and photographed by the one and only Cotton Duck, but this time, it might not happen in Europe..

Found these browsing Rakuten kinda insteresting

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/cansas/sc47163h/

They are interesting. Strange how the leg patch has faded out like that. It's made of the same denim, isn't it? Is it just because the fabric is rotated 90 degrees in relation to the rest of the denim? The whole patch is lighter than the rest of the left leg.