Superfuture Running Club

jackg

It's a mix to be honest ... :/ and it's more than 5 miles (and maybe less than 10). So Frees would be good? 

Maybe just go to your local shop and get your gait analysed, then they can tell you whats going to be the right shoes for you. 

Just caught up reading this thread and feel like contributing.

INJURIES

Sorry to hear about knees and hips to those concerned. Whilst I am injury free at the moment the feeling (as in a sensation that something is perhaps awry, not in any sharp, or inflamed kind of pain) in my left knee is making me wonder what health said joints are in.

Which lead me to reading http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/ learning that barefoot running with the emphasis on fore/mid striking (which I would like to think I already do strike midfoot) puts less force running to your knee got me shoe hunting to focus on heel landing avoidance. Bringing me to...

FOOTWEAR

My Zoom Elite 5s have clocked around 700 km in them so I ended up copping the Free 4.0s. Dismissed the 5s as the heel drop matched the ZEs and dismissed the 3s as the upper a bit flimsy, with no real difference underfoot with the heel drop vs the 4.0s.

First impressions were that they were firm, and I wouldn't want to race in them as I like a bit of softness underfoot, although the lightness made the ZE heavy (<3 oz lighter iirc). 6mm heel drop was interesting, and combined with firmer sole makes you less likely to heel strike for sure.

First sub 10 km were fine, first 12 km left my calves aching for days, first 16 km for even longer. Racked up 87km now in them and don't really get any calf DOMS at these distances. Also feel comfortable running at top speed on concrete in them too (was wary at first). However have noticed that small parts of the sole is coming awy from the upper at the heel. Have tweeted Nike about this, they are just so shit post sales. "Call us to 'discuss options'". Surely there are no options? They're faulty end of. Second time they've just acted like twats with me.

Running back in ZE5s makes me think 9mm heel drop is neither use nor ornament combined with the weight and the firmer sole compared to the Pegasus.

Ran recently in my old Asics Cumulus 11s. Whilst 'big units' it was enjoyable, I am having a serious rethink of what I want my go to shoe to now be.

Anyone got the Pegasus 30? I'm very tempted, even if I am begging to think Nike's quality is just shit, and their after sales even shitter.

I ran the You Yangs 50km trail ultra on Sunday! Went surprising well considering my less than ideal few weeks prior. Came equal fourth with my running partner Pat with a time just under 5 hours. Will post some nicer photo's once the official ones go up. 

3ypSqcj.jpg

I've been bouncing around different forms of exercise, Krav Maga mostly, but I think I am going to go back to running very soon. Something about the freedom and spontaneity that can't be beat. Also looking to train with some parkour guys once a week or so which will be fun. See you guys back on Endomondo!

Sisslin! I will try and make some more challenges in the next couple of weeks, and will ensure I invite all sufu running club crew. 

For the time being I am still out with some really strange pain behind my right knee, it hurts to straighten my leg and it hurts to run and walk! I really need to go see a physio but I figured it would just pass with a bit of rest. Apparently not. 

Cam: I can't wait for that! I am a massive TK fan and it looks ace, plus Joel Wolpert seems to know his way around filming extreme sports type things. 

Sorry to hear about the pain Jack. Get to the physio asap and get it dealt with. A bit of rest can't hurt either.

I am heading off to camp near Whistler this week and plan on doing some trails in the area. I will post to my Instagram if anyone is interested. I would post here as well but it seems kind of redundant.

Have really enjoyed doing longer adventure runs over the last while, though unfortunately Nike+ usually comes up anywhere from 3-9km off in the end.

Sisslin! I will try and make some more challenges in the next couple of weeks, and will ensure I invite all sufu running club crew. 

For the time being I am still out with some really strange pain behind my right knee, it hurts to straighten my leg and it hurts to run and walk! I really need to go see a physio but I figured it would just pass with a bit of rest. Apparently not. 

Cam: I can't wait for that! I am a massive TK fan and it looks ace, plus Joel Wolpert seems to know his way around filming extreme sports type things. 

most likely just an overuse injury. some form of runner's knee. weird that it's in the back of the knee though. hopefully it clears up in a reasonable amount of time. i was haunted by runner's knee for months after doing some steep downhill on pavement too fast. now whenever i do a downhill section i go much slower and controlled and it hasn't come back.

i'm still slacking off. trying to get back into a groove. haven't done a run longer than 4-5 miles in a couple months and i feel like my endurance has really taken a hit. hard to keep my usual pace even for those runs. plus i really hate running in the summer. the heat just sucks all the energy out of me.

couple quick questions for Jack, how did you first get into running? and what was the moment where you realized you love running?

haha ok. I guess there isn't a specific time for running generally. I grew up in a pretty sporty family. Used to play tennis 5/6 times a week, and hockey 4/5 times so I guess exercise and sport have always played a pretty big role in my life. But in terms of real longer distance running that's something I have only started this year. 

Not sure there is a specific moment, I just enjoyed doing it the whole time. If I didn't I highly doubt I would have had the motivation to do so many kms. But obviously once you reach that point where you have enough fitness for it not always to be a struggle and you just sit back and enjoy yourself, and your brain kinda switches over to automatic that's a pretty special almost meditative kinda moment. So once you find that its hard not to want to go back as much as possible. 

Really inspirational stuff there Jack! Can't wait to reach that higher state of mind you're talking about!

Talking about injuries, was out running this morning and after one km I felt this hard stroke on the downpart of my back. It happened while I was running upwards a hill (not too steep).

I searched the web a bit and found some stuff about training too hard might lead to injuries. I run about 2-3 times a week and have been doing so for about a month. 

Another thread I found searching my injury suggested that both training your back and your abs will help you not injure yourself.

I'm pretty new to running, haven't been doing it that much this year, and I'm not that fit when it comes to abs and back.

What do you think? Could it be a combination of both? It hurts down my hams (left side) when I sit or run. :(

Edited by house

a strong core is always important. if you strained something in your back it's probably due to those muscles not used to being worked. i do a couple sets of crunches every night and try to do a light weight workout every other day to help with that. there are a lot of simple workouts to strengthen your core that don't require weights or anything though.

running 2-3 times a week is fine and shouldn't cause any overuse injuries as long as you're not increasing mileage too fast. running uphill does cause more strain, so you probably just tweaked something and hopefully it'll clear up in a matter of days. do the usual anti inflammatory + ice and see how it feels by the end of the week. if it's only hurting during certain activities probably just a little strain. if it's hurting all the time it might be more serious.

Edited by Rob060

Went to a local running shop yesterday to be fitted because I've been experiencing discomfort in my current Nikes after 1.5-2 miles.

Everything about the experience was great, ended up with the Air Pegasus+ 30 after trying Asics and NB. Ran 5k to test them out and all is well, no discomfort and can't wait to start adding more mileage. How much distance should I try to add each week? Got a serious case of runners knee last year and don't want to do that again.

^ 10% seems to be the standard distance increase afaik

good to hear you had a positive experience with the new shoes, I will go down the same path on my next pair, i'm guessing this will be the first pair of shoes ever bought not based purely on aesthetics though, lol.

i decided to just go and get analyzed and take their advice fully without consideration of how any shoe looked - so the guy measured my feet on a brannock and had me walk around the shop barefoot. Then he brought out the shoes and I tried them all on. The Asics were bright blue and pink and fit the worst for my foot but were still an improvement over the entry level Nike Lunarlon I'd been running in. Last year when I started running I used the Free Run 2 and they fit and feel great but there is just not enough support for distance runs.

2nd shoe was a neon green New Balance that was a good fit and felt great running but ultimately these Nikes felt the best by far:

Nike-Air-Pegasus-30-Mens-Running-Shoe-59

any recommendations for running backpack? i am look at salomon advanced skin 12, but i wouldn't mind something a bit more stealthy on the looks, you know all black everything ruined by some unnecessary red straps sucks. thanks in advance.

middle_1359779601.jpg

I love Nike but god, why do they have to treat their customers like retards? That latest video sums it up, the one on the Pegasus with Mark Miner the designer and Mo Farah. Firstly, i do not believe Farah ever trains in Pegasus, plus he doesn't even have a neutral gait, so that sort of rules out the shoe.

Secondly, Mark Miner, Pratt/Parsons design grad... DKNY or Michael Kors (I forget), adidas and now Nike. Am I the only person who does not trust a guy who looks like he has never ran to catch a bus? Yes, I am judging a book by it's cover, but are New Balance, Mizuno, Asics, Brooks, Saucony employing people who design their shoes from design school, or someone with an academic background in human biomechanics, foot physiology taht kind of thing?

7397244636_963c0d5a77_z.jpg