Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

I worked with a lot of shoe and boot making before diving fully into leather accessories. Sole stitching or welting is a pain in the ass... A lot of guys use a drill press for thick leather and drill 1/16-1/8th holes. I've tried it but, theres no pretty way of saying this, the smaller the hole, the better.

Custom six sleeve for a customer.

8868646690_9e840cefb5_z.jpg

8868646618_7344c75aa2_z.jpg

heres my first attempt at working with leather, not the best thing ever but it was good to get familiar with actually working with the stuff and know what to improve on next time 

excuse the phone pics:

si_12192082_hsbv3j7psa_lr.jpg

si_12192032_1ig8wm3183_lr.jpg

Thanks Howler. Its good ole W&C carving.

Thats an awesome start MRH, diggin' it. Though, it does kind of look like a face, haha. Scarecrow maybe?

More moto...

8902481062_a0ebdf85b7_z.jpg

8901867335_cc6bdfe7f6_z.jpg

8902480868_a801fa81cc_z.jpg

Edited by bummer

Hey Guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted so here are a few recent projects…

The watch straps were made for a fellow “big wrist-er†(8†plus) that needed more length than the standard Panerai deployants offered. These should be plenty long enough – 150 x 90! The brown one is Horween Buccaneer with golden tan stitching and the black one is horse hide with white stitching. They’re obviously a bit rougher looking than a machine made strap, but I think they turned out well! Hopefully Jerry will feel the same way!

The iPhone case is a blatant rip-off of Richard Epting’s case/knife combo with a poorman’s twist - I’m using a CRKT RSK Mk5 vs. a custom jobbie, but it gets the job done! I was just goofing with my choices of leather/hide and thread for the design, so I’m sure this won’t appeal to most. Thanks for looking!

9D2E2E1E-CEDA-4C41-B6DB-990B9A2617FE-204

9D2E2E1E-CEDA-4C41-B6DB-990B9A2617FE-204

B568BC4B-46FE-4856-B772-5BD6EBC64822-204

6711A807-A733-4739-9F33-E2303DF30410-204

FAE572B6-02AE-46AB-8246-EBC52C99CAB2-204

4434CE72-002E-4C72-9FE3-E4EDA3A7AE1E-204

02B9103A-DEB6-44E0-80C6-EEC507E5A4BF-204

Edited by Moonshine

What do you guys use for cutting the leather? I've been using a Stanley knife but I think it's time to upgrade. 

Usually depends on what Im cutting. For cutting out small pieces I use a #2 xacto. For long cuts on thinner leather I will either use a round knife or if Im super lazy just use the xacto again. Anything thick I take a heavy duty utility knife to it.

I want to make my own leather accessories. I stumbled upon this topic and I really like the stuff you guys have been doing. I really like corter's leather, does anyone know where I can buy the leather he uses?

Also, where can I learn more about leather craft like sewing and the tools I'll need?

What do you guys use for cutting the leather? I've been using a Stanley knife but I think it's time to upgrade. 

Full disclosure: we sell tools

Any quality knife you can resharpen will do.  Something with a tip for stopping on corners on straight cuts is helpful.

I used to use an xacto and a rotary cutter before switching to what I use now.

Having to resharpen your primary cutter can be a pain but it's good practice (and more forgiving) to sharpening paring and head knives.

If that's not your bag then xacto and rotary cutter with disposable blades are definitely the way to go.

spent an afternoon making this for my new phone vs buying a case

biko0o.jpg

dope having people tell you they like it without knowing you actually made it 

After having viewed all 130+ pages of the old thread and all 10 of this one, I decided to post some of my own creations. I started leatherworking about a month ago after having decided I had no cool or beneficial skills that involved my hands. 

The dark leather is Horween Chestnut Dublin and the other is just some standard 3/4 oz vegetable tanned leather.

i6R28Ax.jpg

d9lLeqA.jpg

qfI1KWj.jpg

f4Z0dbN.jpg

QijP9yh.jpg

Zi0mC9M.jpg

TuZuIl8.jpg

xOh3BPl.jpg

Always looking for feedback on how to improve!

After following the last thread almost daily (RIP), I decided to finally give this a shot.  Took a while, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

Wickett & Craig English Bridle - Medium Brown

Veg Tan Calf on the inside

Solid Brass Hardware

Unfortunately, I've already got some water stains on the back side, but thats life I guess. Still need to make the strap as well.

IMAG0082_1.jpg

IMAG0083_1.jpg

IMAG0084_11.jpg

IMAG0085_1.jpg

Edited by corbu

Awesome bag man.

At some point, you'd expect the intimidation of hand stitching a belt to go away, but it always feels like you're looking down the wrong end of a barrel.

9050317553_4ccc6575cb_z.jpg

9052547612_d2e746f500_z.jpg

very nice.

did you like working with the W&C harness leather?  i've consider buying it for a few bigger projects but dont know what it really looks/feels like

It's nice for bag straps and belts, but i wouldnt use it for a whole bag.. Bridle is probably better for that

I'm still a noobie at leathercrafting but here's a wallet I recently made for a friend using 3oz veg kangaroo leather stitched with waxed braided poly thread.

FsgkugI.jpg

QitikRN.jpg

EDg0ZwG.jpg

uWAdijF.jpg

Edited by rirakuma