Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

@howler

The guts are completely removable. I shamelessly took the idea from one of redmoon's wallets.

@Ericlsaiah

Very nice! What leather is that?

Thanks, lazybum. That's a Chromexcel from Maverick Leather Company over in California.

Edited by EricIsaiah

Tried my hand at a card holder with turned edges (skived down all the edges with a head knife). Kind of freestyled this and it was WAY more difficult than I expected. Literally had no idea what to do with the corners haha.

f546RHh.jpg

Edited by howler

Here's a horsehide Chromexcel bifold I made the other day. I'd never used horsehide Chromexcel before and now I'm in love. I picked up a few black strips and some tan strips. I'll post something I make out of the tan strips as soon as I make something.

tumblr_mmplo4M9u41s0yncjo1_1280.jpg 
tumblr_mmplo4M9u41s0yncjo2_1280.jpg

And, as promised, here's a look at a natural Dublin bifold I put together the other day.

il_fullxfull.458148812_d0mz.jpg
il_fullxfull.458148952_2vxj.jpg

Nice trucker bummer! Did you dye the leather yourself or did you buy it with the dye struck through? Been looking for quality struck through dyed leather with little luck.

Been trying to push forward with the design side of things lately. Bone choker inspired bracelet fresh off the bench.

P1060585_zps9aee0c19.jpg

P1060570_zps8754b01e.jpg

Thanks lazy. I dip dyed it. The dye doesn't always make its way through but, a little soak can go along way. I know I've seen dyed through somewhere online but, I'm usually skeptical of hide quality when I order from companies that don't have much of a reputation.

That choker is top-notch man. I tried posting earlier to compliment your edging but it wouldn't let me post for some reason. But, damn, I'm jealous. What are you putting on those if you don't mind me asking?

Wow you guys really make some amazing stuff.  Any of you got any tips on where one would start if they wanted to begin making leather accessories just as a hobby?  Really want to try something new and I've always loved checking out the items people make themselves but really not sure where to begin if I wanted to try myself.  Not sure if there are any guides to getting started with leather but I'd like some direction, tools needed, info on leathers to use, just some general points would be awesome

Thanks bummer. Yeah that's my concern too. Seems like there's no other way but to DIY dye. For edges I use water to burnish and plain old beeswax to finish it off. The trick is to sand down the edges real nice while burnishing. Takes a heck of a long time but so far I haven't found any other way that makes a more smooth and lasting edge. You can use a dremel but I find doing it by hand still gives the smoothest results. I don't always do this though as it's really time consuming, especially for bigger stuff.

@mrh check our leatherworker.net and it's forum. You can find almost everything you need to know there.

thanks man, got some great suggestions from xallenx too so I'll be gathering up supplies in the oncoming weeks and giving this stuff a try

Yeah, from my expierence I've never liked dremel edging. You must be spending a lot of delicate time on them because they look great and from the sound of it our techs aren't very different.

Heres an oldy I finally got some shots of.

8791355255_9506b15f34_z.jpg

8801934646_d4d94368f2_z.jpg

8791355467_79673d794d_z.jpg

8791355345_637e8c3e5b_z.jpg

My 2 slippers broke in succession recently, so I decided to make a replacement for myself that hopefully won’t break as fast. It's my first ever piece of footwear, hence the design is kind of a guestimation. Feels quite comfotable so far, but only time will tell if I've got it right.

P1060789_zps3d229569.jpg

P1060788_zpscc171f3e.jpg

My 2 slippers broke in succession recently, so I decided to make a replacement for myself that hopefully won’t break as fast. It's my first ever piece of footwear, hence the design is kind of a guestimation. Feels quite comfotable so far, but only time will tell if I've got it right.

Very nice! Curious about the bottoms, are the soles stitched all the way through?

Thanks! Yeap they are stitched all the way through. Stitching through thick, hard and stiff layers of leather is no joke. My hands almost broke out in blisters. The last layer at the heel was glued on though. I figured the heel usually wears off pretty fast and I don't want my stitches to be worn through too quickly so I slapped on that extra layer.

Thanks! Yeap they are stitched all the way through. Stitching through thick, hard and stiff layers of leather is no joke. My hands almost broke out in blisters. The last layer at the heel was glued on though. I figured the heel usually wears off pretty fast and I don't want my stitches to be worn through too quickly so I slapped on that extra layer.

about to ask the same question with sean_afk

did you punch all the stitching holes altogether while the leather stacks? or layer by layer?

about to ask the same question with sean_afk

did you punch all the stitching holes altogether while the leather stacks? or layer by layer?

I made the holes after the leather is glued together if that is what you are trying to ask. But I wouldn't say I "punched" them as I used an awl to make the holes, not a pricking iron. No way you can use a pricking iron for such a thick layer.