lets talk watches

poopie boy

I have the tiny Asian wrist syndrome, but have it really bad; I think my wrists are like 5.5" around, they're sticks. I can wear 38.5mm and it looks fine, I've tried on 40mm and it looks okay, but something like the IWC Portuguese measures 41 supposedly and it looks like it'd wear way too big on me. Haven't tried it on. Anybody with tiny wrists have one?

I haven't seen any pocket watches in here before so I figured I'd post mine. Originating from a metal allergy that doesn't allow me to wear anything metal for more than a few days without getting a rash, I've been wearing pocket watches for about 4 years now. This is the one I've been wearing every day for the past year or so. Charles Hubert brand is one of the best I've found. Very affordable and well made. I treat my pocket watches kind of rough but they've never broken. This one is wind-up powered which is very convenient. Just wind it every morning and you're set. The clear face has always intrigued me. Being able to watch the gears work as you check the time.

pwclosed.jpg

pwopen.jpg

pwdetail.jpg

^ I really like that watch. Especially the skeleton face.

+rep

5174405352_795af7fde3.jpg

this pocket watch was my grandpa's and hopefully after I'm done with university it'll be mine. But until then, I've got my own watches haha.

could use some restoring i'm sure, but i wouldn't want to change it too much.

^^ Dig it. I like the chain on that alot although the attachment at the end not so much. Is that the original chain? It looks like a different color tone from the watch. I find that circular hooks like that are hard to manage since you need to hook it onto something, like a belt loop. And they are usually pretty small which makes fitting a belt loop inside and out a hassle. Plus if something were to pull the watch you'd probably break something, whether it be the chain or the hook. Still really nice though. Simple.

^^ Dig it. I like the chain on that alot although the attachment at the end not so much. Is that the original chain? It looks like a different color tone from the watch. I find that circular hooks like that are hard to manage since you need to hook it onto something, like a belt loop. And they are usually pretty small which makes fitting a belt loop inside and out a hassle. Plus if something were to pull the watch you'd probably break something, whether it be the chain or the hook. Still really nice though. Simple.

as far as i know it's all the original stuff. Today was the first time I saw it as my parents kept it in the safe deposit box, but I was planning on replacing the chain anyway to go for something a little nicer. Probably with a clip or T bar end just to make it simpler.

some pics of my skx-007 diver on different straps:

p1020778.jpg

on a bond maratac zulu

p1020787n.jpg

on a red, white, blue nato strap

for those interested: the zulu strap is thicker and more rugged overall than the nato. but i do like my frutez patriot strap colors. can't have both though! :(

need to upgrade to a sub when the time is right..

in the meantime, this works as a fun everyday watch.

prex.jpg

I realize this is a woman's hand. But I've always wondered what my Air King would look like a NATO. My Air King is much newer and I'd love to throw it on an olive band.

Thoughts? Part me just feels like I just let this chick do her thing and keep mine in the leather strap it's on.

EDIT: I also realize this is not an Air King. But it has similar measurements and dial style.

prex.jpg

I realize this is a woman's hand. But I've always wondered what my Air King would look like a NATO. My Air King is much newer and I'd love to throw it on an olive band.

Thoughts? Part me just feels like I just let this chick do her thing and keep mine in the leather strap it's on.

EDIT: I also realize this is not an Air King. But it has similar measurements and dial style.

What? I don't get what you're asking? What would another watch on another band on another wrist look like?

As to the band, It looks like what Evil Knievel would wear.

I think Rolexes should stay on their stock bracelets, and I especially dislike NATO's on light colored faces that aren't pure white with lume, ie Rolex oysters... Phat Guido on styleforum has an Oyster on a zulu and I think it looks bad. NATO's look best on Fliegers and field watches, IMO. I've always wanted an Air-King, I might get one sometime soon.

To be fair, the Air King was originally a 1940's WWII pilot's watch. Which is partially why I thought it might look interesting on an olive or black NATO strap. And it's not something you see every day.

Also, I love the look of a Sub on a NATO and the sub doesn't have military roots at all. It was made for diving.

As for the watch being dressy, I'd disagree. The face is almost identical in both size and style to the Rolex Explorer...which IMO looks great on a NATO and isn't dressy at all.

We'll see. Thanks for the opinions.