lets talk watches

poopie boy

I'm looking for a utilitarian watch, but I don't know any brands or actually anything about watches in general. Cloth or leather band would be fine. Anyone know of any I could pick up for like under 70$?

I have very thin wrists too so a big fat face might look stupid.

sscvs013a.jpg

okay, think i've narrowed it down to the seiko scvs013 above, or the previously posted tissot classic dream:

0334102605300-600-3.jpg

i've always enjoyed seiko, so i am definitely leaning that way. however, i've got girly-ass wrists and the ~12mm thickness is scaring me off a little. i've typically only owned much thinner watches.

anyone with advice? i generally dress pretty casual (i know, these watches are on the dressy side), but eclectic, and i'd like to think i could wear this watch most days.

i'm a fair watch n00b so if there are any telling differences between to two in terms of aesthetics or function, i'd love to hear of it. i'll be ordering online, so these things are kinda hard to gauge over 72dpi.

cheers.

How bad is it to set the time backwards? I have an automatic watch which I accidentally started adjusting the other way before I realized it, so I was just wondering just how bad is it for the mechanism?

I know it should be avoided but i was just wondering how much damage can be done by moving the hands backwards

home - i know i'm biased since i posted the Seiko... but the gold accents of the Tissot just kind of push that into the more dressy feeling to me. i think the classic design of the Seiko lends itself a little wider range of dress (though i'm personally still borderline on wearing it with just jeans & tees). i've seen it in person and it's beautiful.

i poked around that Tissot model a bit and found these two, which may (or may not) lean a little more towards non-dressiness:

31xoibpmollsl500aa280.jpg

41sxofv53elsl500aa280.jpg

FYI - the Tissot is a quartz movement while the Seiko is a mechanical automatic. if you search around you can find pretty good info and reviews of each watch. good luck!

I really wanted to get a replica IWC , but then, even if it was 99% replicated to the real thing, i still think it would look bad since im sure those who know watches will know a college punk like me can't afford 15k watches

so.. after some browsing, i went ahead and got this... (bought just now, so no real pics yet)

ticino_black_021.jpg

got the manual movement (they got autos too), and for a great price of under $160 shipped.

good review on this watch, maybe i will change the strap to something more unique, but ya, i think this will be my daily watch for school and work :D